Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Tigers and Opposition Irish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Irish Tigers and Opposition Irish

I find these threads pretty handy so I took the liberty of creating one for the sizable Irish contingent at Hull City. David Meyler was our only representative in their FA Cup squad last night, and he only played the final few minutes.

A late Sagbo equaliser has kept them in the cup and the game will be replayed at the KC next Monday, only two days after their trip to Cardiff in the PL. Apparently FA Cup matches cannot be played on Champions League nights, which seems a bit daft but obviously TV dictates.

A Hull Everton final would be fantastic!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Meyler could have scored late on too, he had a header from a corner cleared off the line
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I find these threads pretty handy so I took the liberty of creating one for the sizable Irish contingent at Hull City. David Meyler was our only representative in their FA Cup squad last night, and he only played the final few minutes.

A late Sagbo equaliser has kept them in the cup and the game will be replayed at the KC next Monday, only two days after their trip to Cardiff in the PL. Apparently FA Cup matches cannot be played on Champions League nights, which seems a bit daft but obviously TV dictates.

A Hull Everton final would be fantastic!
    What? No love for Stephen Quinn? He started last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Jaysus... I went through the team sheet and managed to miss him. I actually only saw a few minutes myself, do you know how he played?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Conor Henderson on the bench for Hull also!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Oh whatever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Half watched the game and from the limited attention I was paying, he seemed to have played alright. A few close ups by the camera points to his being either very good or very blameworthy for something I may or may not have seen.

You're welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sounds pretty similar to the attention I gave the team sheet.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I listened to that match on 5-Live whilst doing a bit of painting in the house - coincidentally the commentators (Claridge was one) talked of it very much like watching paint dry.

Anyway, Will Buckley stood out for me based on the commentary, as someone having a decent game. Unfortunately he didn't come out for the 2nd half, think he is just back from injury. Claridge commented on the fact that he was Brightons most influential player in the first half also.

Andrews played centre mid also for Brighton. Did nothing of note that I can remember.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I watched more of Hull v Brighton in the FA Cup replay than was probably advisable. Long was cup tied but Meyler started for Hull and Ward played left back for Brighton, Andrews in midfield.

I like Meyler but I never see anything more than a perfectly decent player. Perfectly decent isn't what we need so I still think Whelan shades it for me in that position. I just want to see Meyler add a bit more rather than keeping things ticking over. We have those players already and they're better than him at it. He gave away the free that led to Brighton's goal but that happens when you play in midfield, no biggy. In general though, I'd like to see him take a leaf out of Andrews' book by just being a bit more dynamic going forward.

My mate goes to Brighton all the time and says Ward has been great for them. I was really impressed by Ward tonight, a square peg in a square hole - very important for a team's balance.

Definitely deserves another look at left back for Ireland under the new management. And yes, I do recall his worst moments. Lovely striker of a ball with his left foot.

Stephen Quinn came on for Meyler on 85 and there was no sign of Henderson, or Buckley for that matter.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 24/02/2014 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Whelan > Perfectly decent??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I thought he was awful in Trap's last 2 years but looked far better under King and in O'Neill's first game. I cant recall if he played in Poland.

I think that was widely accepted here too, not that we have mob rule around here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I thought his performance in Germany was of the 'he did well enough considering...' variety. Out of position against top opposition which zero expectations. Latvia was just easy and I think he's played at that level in similar games in the past. I just think people had gone into 'glass is half full' mode at that point. I agree with your evaluation of Meyler but I'd still prefer to see him start than Whelan. Hopefully we won't need either in time, no disrespect intended and hopefully Meyler can improve further and become a serious option.

Good interview with him here about life at Hull
    Last edited by DeLorean; 25/02/2014 at 10:42 AM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I didn't realise (never entered my head) that Shane Long is cup tied for the F.A. Cup. That's a bit of a balls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Keith Andrews was pretty ineffective for Blackburn in the Premiership. I think Meyler has been a lot more impressive for Hull and their club fans respective attitudes towards them reflects that. Andrews was nicknamed "Jazz Hands" by the Blackburn fans.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Keith Andrews was pretty ineffective for Blackburn in the Premiership. I think Meyler has been a lot more impressive for Hull and their club fans respective attitudes towards them reflects that. Andrews was nicknamed "Jazz Hands" by the Blackburn fans.
    So was the rest of the team. Andrews was a good player who was Premier League standard at his best but not anymore, and had the peculiar knack of scoring important goals. I assume what Stutts is aluding to is Meyler's need to do a bit more to get on the score sheet.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    It was more the ability to get forward a bit more, getting behind his man, and to do more than passing the ball neatly in front of the opposition. I also like the way Andrews was always busy without the ball. I just think he had a bit more bite than I see in Meyler.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Meyler has plenty of bite I think, I just reckon his overall reading of the game is better so he doesn't have to be sniping as often to make his presence known.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Maybe so. I still hope he finds a bit more to his game though. I think he has it in him given his development was hampered at key stages through injury.

He'd be close to a starting XI for me but if Gibson and McCarthy are both fit they'd be my CMs with Reid or Hoolahan just ahead of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Meyler the only Irish starter for Hull in the FA Cup today with Long cup-tied. Henderson and Quinn are on the bench. O'Shea playing for Sunderland.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast