Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor Sammon F Alloa Athletic b.1986

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, but no pressure on him to succeed. Unlike if he played for either of the, er, big Glasgow clubs.
    Hopefully he'd ever go to Celtic but as CD said it's unlikely.

The Championship beckons. Leeds maybe? Would be a great move for him.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    The last thing he wants to do, is stay in the SPL?
    He's probably better served staying with Killie for another year anyway given how well it's going for him. How many times have players gone on a run, moved to a bigger club and then sunk? In any case, he's there two and a half years now, and while he's going very well, he wasn't exactly knocking them the rest of the time, so it's a bit of a step to think he's above the SPL all of a sudden.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Agreed stu. Another season of similar productivity and performance and then go for a move to a higher level. Obviously thats from a footballing point of view. However if its a move that ensures his financial security or at least dramatically improves it, then its hard to turn down, when one bad injury can finish a career.

Good luck to him anyway, great to see the Irish lads at the less fashionable teams in the SPL doing well.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    is in some form if he keeps this up hel be playing with either celtic rangers or in england.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    is in some form if he keeps this up hel be playing with either celtic rangers or in england.
    I think England would be a better move for him. Championship side. Would hate to see an Irish player go to Rangers due to their long history of anti-Irishness and fascist associations
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I think England would be a better move for him. Championship side. Would hate to see an Irish player go to Rangers due to their long history of anti-Irishness and fascist associations
    The U19 keeper Alan Smith moved there a few months ago
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, I wonder how many Rangers fans know that though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Aren't Chelsea and Colchester (to name but two) historically considered anti-Irish? Don't recall complaints when Duffer or Yeates signed.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Colchester?? Squaddie town I suppose.

Chelsea have their fascist/Rangers links but even their morons are a pale imitation of the real thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Aren't Chelsea and Colchester (to name but two) historically considered anti-Irish? Don't recall complaints when Duffer or Yeates signed.
    Colchester eh? Interesting, never heard that one before. Thats where Mark Kinsella played for years too, prior to Charlton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Vaguely remember reading about it one time, but it's something to do with it being an army base alright. Stuff like this.

(Not saying it's a major issue; just that it's silly to say one club is anti-Irish and others aren't. I've been in the middle of the Ashton Gate home support while they were belting out "No surrender to the IRA" for example)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    He is in good form presently but it has taken him 2 and a bit seasons to get a decent run of performances but on the basis of his career in Scotland and not just the past 4 months he isn't good enough for Leeds or any club in the top end of the championship quite yet. But I am not against him getting a call up to the Irish squad for a friendly or two because as someone said Cillian Sheridan is called up regularly and isn't that good of a player.
    Derry City FC, re-generated almost as often as Doctor Who.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Vaguely remember reading about it one time, but it's something to do with it being an army base alright. Stuff like this.

(Not saying it's a major issue; just that it's silly to say one club is anti-Irish and others aren't. I've been in the middle of the Ashton Gate home support while they were belting out "No surrender to the IRA" for example)
    Joe Dunne is assistant manager at Colchester at present

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    In the context of experience of Ingerlish club fans over many years, including leafleting their own fans with anti-Irish propaganda up to the mid/late 90's was at Ch*lsea.
    Though the average nouveau Ch*lsea fan or tourist now would have little idea about their 'No Surrender' nonsense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Would hate to see an Irish player go to Rangers due to their long history of anti-Irishness and fascist associations
    Last time I looked there was an ex RoI international on the Rangers coaching staff, apart from all the players from Northern Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Aren't Chelsea and Colchester (to name but two) historically considered anti-Irish?
    Depends what you mean by historically. Chelsea's core support area in inner South London- Lambeth, Battersea and Wandsworth- has long had an Irish immigrant population, and thus many Irish fans.

You heard anti-Irish chants etc. in the 80s, when I went regularly. Just like at pretty much every other big ground in England at the time.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Last time I looked there was an ex RoI international on the Rangers coaching staff, apart from all the players from Northern Ireland.
    Good for Kernaghan. It must be that he played for the North at schoolboys level that swung it....

Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Depends what you mean by historically. Chelsea's core support area in inner South London- Lambeth, Battersea and Wandsworth- has long had an Irish immigrant population, and thus many Irish fans.

You heard anti-Irish chants etc. in the 80s, when I went regularly. Just like at pretty much every other big ground in England at the time.
    By comparison to other parts of London it was much less.
    And judging by the no.of old Ch*lsea who followed Ireland, those were very low indeed. Nor did they generally want to advertise their affiliation, which they were embarrassed by.

As for anti-Irish chants, like 'No Surrender', these didn't go mainstream until the mid-90's at the earliest.
    And would have been heard more frequently at the Bridge, say over Arsenal & QPR where there was much more support for Irish nationalism at the time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Personally I would love to see an ROI player sign for Rangers, and I imagine most Rangers fans would actually be OK with it too. Rangers have been playing Catholics from all over Europe forthe last decade or more and their fans have been pretty cool with it. Both Celtic and Rangers need to continue to push the envelope and de-sectarianise their respective brands as much as possible.

Also dont think it exactly helps to accuse Rangers of being "anti-Irish" when they have three NI players in their first team squad. To imply that NI players aren't Irish is to apply the very kind of discrimination that you are ostensibly criticising.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think it's Catholics Rangers ever really had an aversion too. It's Irish Catholics.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I don't think it's Catholics Rangers ever really had an aversion too. It's Irish Catholics.
    For a long time it certainly included Scottish Catholics. It's one step at a time, and they should be encouraged to go the whole way. It's 50 years since Bertie Peacock became the first Irish Protestant to play for Celtic, so its long overdue. Genuinely hope it happens soon either for Sammon or someone else.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast