Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Barry Murphy

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Brian Barry Murphy

Seems hes out of contract at Sheffield Wednesday.

Their official sites says he amoung 14 with only 3 specualted to be offered new contracts.

Be interesting to see where he ends up...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Now he's a player I'd love to see back at city. How old is he now? Close to 28?
    The glass isn't half full or half empty it's just too damn big!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shedite
    Close to 28?
    Would have thought he was a couple of years younger than that to be honest, 25/26?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Be interesting to see where he ends up...[/QUOTE]

It certainly wont be City though! He is to good for us as he is playing in the english second division which is far superior to the El.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Think he is 25 years old.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Echo Boy
    Be interesting to see where he ends up...

It certainly wont be City though! He is to good for us as he is playing in the english second division which is far superior to the El.[/QUOTE]

I am so glad you are not making on decisions on our behalf !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by A face
    It certainly wont be City though! He is to good for us as he is playing in the english second division which is far superior to the El.

I am so glad you are not making on decisions on our behalf !! [/QUOTE]

Imo the EL is comparable to the English Conference at best and only proproganda by the Irish papers lead us to believe it is better than that when in fact it is not. BBM would be better off with Carlisle next year in the conference than any club in the EL........... and he would be paid better as well. ( ps No disrespect to City)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    So your opinion is more valid than the 'Irish papers' (incidentally I don't know what papers you read, as I find coverage of club football here disappointing). I presume it is 'propaganda' because you disagree with them, whereas Sky Sports provide far more incisive analysis of football. You have no empirical or statistical basis for your claim. You have no idea how Carlisle would fare in the club game here, nor is it possible to make comparisons (let's face it, it's not as if we can look at Carlisle's progress in Europe competitions, say, compared to Bohemians...). You think BBM would be better with Carlisle, if pushed I would say my opinion is that Carlisle wouldn't cut it in the First Division here and he'd be better off with Cobh Ramblers.
    Carlisle get average crowds of 8000 where the ticket price are around £12 sterling or about €20 , Their stadium is better than any in the EL and lets face it they have better players. Foran etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Carlisle get average crowds of 8000 where the ticket price are around £12 sterling or about €20 , Their stadium is better than any in the EL and lets face it they have better players. Foran etc

Shootin' from the hip me thinks ..... I'd actually advocate that eL club has times better than .... say Carlisle as eL clubs dont have those resources yet still perform better (if you are going to compare that is) ... like Conor said .... it is a fairly hard task (or easy in your case ) to come up with a comparison.

Man if that is your opinion then you are entitled to it. BBM,. better off in the third division ... City V Malmo in a few weeks is far more attractive fixture than anything Carlisle would have to offer, in my opinion anyway.

Actually haven't had many who share your opinion, on here recently. Strange !! but man ... if you're OK with it, then i am ... you are alright fella ... no matter what they say about ya !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why is it people think that BBM even wants to come home to Cork?

Its been said time and time again that he aint coming back, not anytime soon anyways. He is well settled in England, and Footbalkl is only a sideline for him, as he is well up in the greyhound circles over there, training dogs i think (or something).

He was a handy player for us, a long time ago. The league has moved way forward since then.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    The league has moved way forward since then.
    Obviously Not, according to our resident Einstein, Echo Boy.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    People don't seem to realise that the Conference is quite a high standard of football. Look at the teams that do manage to get promoted - they tend to do well to very well in English division 3. Its just that it has only been in the last couple of seasons that more than one team can actually escape, the advent of playoffs in the conference has upped the standard.

I would put City at mid table div 3 standard, possibly in with a shout for the playoffs. We would have no chance in division 1 or 2 though. Shels might survive in division 2 because they are consistent, but then only just. Of course all this is just opinion.

The major difference is that players of lower division english clubs tend to be on a par with each other because its that much easier to move around clubs (obviously there are exceptions), whereas in the EL a squad might have a good few mediocre players(conference or lower standard) but a couple of really good players (div 1 standard). I have little doubt that (a fit) John O'Flynn, Kevin Doyle and Jason Byrne for example could do well in division 1 and with experience, particularly in the case of our boys because theyre that bit younger, potential premiership players.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Conference teams do well when they are promoted because the gap in quality isn't that great and the top conference teams are used to winning games before they go to Div. Three. Its very hard to predict how well a team will do in the lower leagues cos really small things matter when everybody plays at such an ordinary standard. One really good player can make a good team for example.

Also I reckon the top EL teams could survive in Division 2 no problem. Im sure a couple of years back an EL representative team played a DIV 3 representitive team and won. I know it means nothing and not even sure if I'm making it up or not.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Crowds are a good indicator of the size of a club?

Hmmmmm, Monaco? Only 3 or 4,000 a game. How are they doing this year? Presume you would have them down as a good Ryman's League outfit...

They dont have a rich prince pouring in the money to the club!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They dont have a rich prince pouring in the money to the club!
    It doesn't have to be a prince, just ask Shels.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Only 3 or 4,000 a game. How are they doing this year? Presume you would have them down as a good Ryman's League outfit...
    Same as ourselves.
    Does that mean we could get to the Champions League Final?
    Its all about opinions in the end and in the case of comparing different leagues its really a waste of time and opinion.
    You could go on about it til the cows come home and still end up none the wiser.

The Prince of Darkness....
    Be careful, you know his solicitors are watching.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    All I'm asking for is one good reason why the league here is only comparable to the lower reaches of the English pro game. Crowds, money etc. are not yardsticks.

When was the last time you heard of a player from the EL going to a Premiership team or a decent 1st division team and setting the place alight? Any transfers between English and Irish teams tend to be between lower division clubs and the EL because the standard of player is very alike. Don't know why people can't see that. It's not a slur on the EL, just the way it is, we'd like to think we're something special but at the end of the day we're just average.

GavinZac
    roy keane, a typical eL player

he only signed for cobh to get on the irish youths thing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac
    roy keane, a typical eL player

he only signed for cobh to get on the irish youths thing.

In order to get on the FAS training scheme you had to be affiliated to a LOI club.....City took Len Downey....Keane wanted to sign for city but couldn't as it would not have got him a place on the scheme...thats why he went to Cobh

In hindsight it was the best thing he ever done for his career
    Bring back the plank

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Re Monaco and their 'loaded' Prince pouring money into them - they nearly hit the wall at the start of this season.

Re BBM, doubt his old man will be actively encouraging a move home to City - seen him standing in the shed this season and I doubt if he'll be chuffed with the possibility of our fans turning on his son.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast