Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Gallen get a second chance?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down Should Gallen get a second chance?

2 questions;

1. Is he good enough?
    2. He said "No!" to Ireland once before, should he be given a second chance?

Here is an article from todays Indo:

Gerry Mcdermott: Gallen hoping his new status will attract Kerr's attention

THE Queen's Park Rangers' striker Kevin Gallen is hoping that his Irish international career can now take off following his side's promotion to the English First Division.

The 28-year-old scored the first goal on Saturday as QPR beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 to finish as runners-up to Plymouth in Division Two. And he believes that playing in Division One will give him every chance of earning a call-up from Brian Kerr.

Under FIFA regulations introduced this year, Gallen can declare for Ireland if he held dual citizenship at the time of his England debut.

"From what I can gather, I do qualify to play for Ireland so it's just a question now of being picked. Hopefully playing in Division One will make a difference," said Gallen.

Gallen, whose brothers Joe and Stephen both played under-age football for Ireland, was capped at youth and U-21 level by England but never won a senior cap.

He has strong Irish roots as his father is from Donegal and his mother from Mayo. He is a regular visitor to the country and would dearly love to play for Ireland.

"I have written a letter to Brian Kerr and he wrote back to me. It would definitely be a great thing for me and all my family if I was to get a chance and I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed."

Gallen, who was QPR's player of the year in 2002-03, has had another magnificent season for the Loftus Road side. In 45 league appearances he scored 17 goals, his best ever return as a professional footballer. "It's been my best season as far as goals are concerned and I feel I am playing better than ever."

Kerr watched Gallen in a recent league game against Peterborough and will be attracted by the player's versatility as well as his squad's shortage of goalscoring strikers.

"I've played up front and all across the midfield this season. I don't know how I would be at the back though!" quipped Gallen.

Kerr is due to announce his squad for the summer friendlies against Romania, Nigeria, Jamaica and Holland within the next ten days, and Gallen will be one player paying a little bit of extra attention to the teletext service.

Meanwhile, Roy Keane's hopes of being involved in the summer fixtures depend on him getting back to action for Manchester United. Alex Ferguson suggested over the weekend that his captain is nearing full fitness.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mick that fcuker can fcuk right off, he's got some fcuking nerve, i read that bit in the indo yesterday also, he made his bed now he can go lay in it.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MickCollins
    Should Gallen get a second chance?
    No! F*ck off you plastic tan!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    We're second best to nobody, but we need to be a little more pragmatic here. The likes of Kevin Nolan would add something to our team IMHO, but I'm not sure that Gallen or Jonathan Macken would.

Still, we'll soon see Mister Kerr's views on the matter...

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    plastic tan!
    sounds sore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    We're second best to nobody, but we need to be a little more pragmatic here. The likes of Kevin Nolan would add something to our team IMHO, but I'm not sure that Gallen or Jonathan Macken would.

PP
    But sure Nolan said no to us before as well, infact, he said no to Kerr in the youth teams !

But Gallen is'nt good enough anyway so theres no point in this conversation !
    not a chance he's better than what we have at present

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69
    But sure Nolan said no to us before as well, infact, he said no to Kerr in the youth teams !
    I know that (see posts passim) but if he wanted to switch now, I think he could do a job for us, that's all. Hence my earlier reference to pragmatism, which is not something we Irish are particularly known for...

PP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy

PP
    He already has given his view. Said that he got a "nice letter" from Gallen but Kerr said that there'#s loads of lads ahaead of him and it wouldn't be fair to them. Nice diplomacy from Kerr
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If judus Gallen want's to play international football again, he should go to soho square and ask Ulrika Johnnson's old mate if he'll give him a game seeing that nine year's ago he felt such tan and getting a couple of underage cap's and forty piece's of silver to play for that lot seemed such a great move @ the time, he's got some fcuking nerve wanting to play for Ireland after what he done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Relax. He's not a judas ****. He's just english.

if he played for ireland, then he'd a be judas. As ot is, he's just a wannabee
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gallen is a lower league forward and his best days are past him. Beyond the fact that he's already made his choice he's just not good enough. He's older and no better than The Ant or Alan Lee. If we look at any QPR player i'd rather it be Martin Rowlands, their player of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    If we look at any QPR player i'd rather it be Martin Rowlands, their player of the season.
    ...and one who opted for Ireland anyway. IIRC, he played for the u-21s whilst at Brentford.

PP

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge

How did you work that one out? It's just that if your sh*t has an once of truth in it, I'm owed a hell of a lot of money.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ……all I’ll say is compare Gallen to that true son of Mayo Kevin Kilbane who rejected England at a young age and risked isolation all for the country of his parents’ birth!!!!!.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gallen is definitely good enough for the Irish squad at least. Very experienced and definitely better than Crowe/Byrne/Lee. The only reason he orignially declared for England was because back when QPR were decent, they wouldn't give Gallen a new contract unless he declared for England instead of Ireland. This was down to the three foreigners rule in european football at the time. He wanted to play for Ireland but put his career first. Thats the fact of the matter ye clowns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mickrev
    The only reason he orignially declared for England was because back when QPR were decent, they wouldn't give Gallen a new contract unless he declared for England instead of Ireland. This was down to the three foreigners rule in european football at the time.
    Correct. This was discussed here some months ago: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=10809

Thats the fact of the matter ye clowns.
    And any credibility you had in this discussion disappeared here. Nice one. Clown.

PP

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gallen is definitely good enough for the Irish squad at least. Very experienced and definitely better than Crowe/Byrne/Lee. The only reason he orignially declared for England was because back when QPR were decent, they wouldn't give Gallen a new contract unless he declared for England instead of Ireland. This was down to the three foreigners rule in european football at the time. He wanted to play for Ireland but put his career first. Thats the fact of the matter ye clowns.
    Dosen't make sense to me. Been reading up on QPR as far as I know they never qualified for Europe in the 1990's (relegated mid 90's). Don't think they really came close to getting into Europe.

Besides you can't hold someone to ransom like that. If I was in that position think I'd rather forsake the contract. Afterall it's the morality of the matter (even in the face of Roy keane's return )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Give Gallen a cap by letting him come on in injury time in some useless friendly...
    .. then tell him to f**k off! ha ha ha!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They came fifth in the first season of the premiership. European footie was possible the following seasons when the English clubs were allowed back to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge

Dodge i take it then that the big fella in the three piece suit's who led Pat's to a trophy or to, and was alway's doing his best to promote Pat's and the el was english as well.
    Dodge, Gallen may not be considered much of a judus around Inchicore, but to the vast majority of second generation Irish fan's he most certainly is, his two brother's played for Ireland, he classed himself as Irish and just cause Gerry Francis leaned on him a bit he cave's in and give's up something most of us would walk a million mile's to do, pull on a green jersey and play for Ireland, and now all of a sudden he want's a second chance, fcuk him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast