Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOI clubs commit suicide

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts

LOI clubs commit suicide

Now maybe it's just me, but when you have a new and groundbreaking under 19 league announced, you kind of expect clubs to embrace it and set up to compete. However with Bohs and UCD laying off their background staff, one has to question are clubs even interested in developing. Getting volunteers in to run teams is going to make matters a complete laughing stock, so why is it that clubs figure that getting rid of staff is the way forward when lower wage offers would keep the crew together?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Who did we lay off?

I'm not sure how, with our record in underage competitions through the years (including college tournaments that other clubs don't enter), we can be accused of not taking them seriously.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 30/10/2010 at 8:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Spudulika,

It is not as if they are doing it on purpose, but like everyone clubs are conscious of the costs. Plus with an A League, and various regional underage setups you have to question what the value of such a competition is.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    PStu, UD have an excellent production line that is providing chances for players who would otherwise be lost to the game (in my opinion) in Ireland - look at the quality who have been "rescued" and have become better, as well as moving on and continuing to improve - Shane McFaul etc. MKev, I can't see the logic in any club laying off coaches of underage sides, in fact I'd rather see more money go into underage structures (properly) so that we can bring them forward and keep more players at home. If they can have good facilities, good education and personal progression, why go to an Academy system which is failing in the UK when they can mature at home and move on. Okay, so the competition at senior level here needs re-jigging, however the point remains, we need to retain players at home and provide them with a proper career progression before they are lost. The stars will always go to a skyleague club, but others can develop here and we all profit from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    when lower wage offers would keep the crew together?
    Also, this is way too simplistic a view. There's a lot of work involved in running an U-20 team for a year. A person who's doing that job for - to pick a figure from the air - E150 a week mayn't want to do the job for E100 a week. It just mayn't be worth the effort.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Also, this is way too simplistic a view. There's a lot of work involved in running an U-20 team for a year. A person who's doing that job for - to pick a figure from the air - E150 a week mayn't want to do the job for E100 a week. It just mayn't be worth the effort.
    That could well be the case, though it would still be worth it to offer it. Considering how well UCD have been doing and how they are (at present) the only club in Ireland capable of keeping players in Ireland (Sporting Fingal are moving that way), I'd love to see Brian Mullins step up and give the FC some extra support. With a little bit extra, 2 experienced non-students imo, they could be pushing for Europe next year, if they keep the side together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I'd love to see Brian Mullins step up and give the FC some extra support.
    With university funding decreasing I'd imagine his budget is similarly shrinking. The support from the college's administration never seems to have been that enthusiastic and you're certainly not going to see that change in the current climate.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    We committed suicide in 2008 going full time and giving Paul Hegarty over 1million to spend.
    That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    We committed suicide in 2008 going full time and giving Paul Hegarty over 1million to spend.
    That is all.
    crazy stuff that would have been a big budget for some of the bigger clubs but for the harps board to approve that was mad.I have heard rumours of sligo overspending this season but europe and the cup final should set them straight but it shows that clubs are still gambling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    We committed suicide when Arkaga took over and when that didn't work we got Tom Coughlan in to finish the job and that didn't work so we are just taking a break for a while in the first, to compose ourselves y'see
    Last edited by A face; 03/11/2010 at 12:41 AM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Now maybe it's just me, but when you have a new and groundbreaking under 19 league announced, you kind of expect clubs to embrace it and set up to compete. However with Bohs and UCD laying off their background staff, one has to question are clubs even interested in developing. Getting volunteers in to run teams is going to make matters a complete laughing stock, so why is it that clubs figure that getting rid of staff is the way forward when lower wage offers would keep the crew together?
    Yep, underage structure is all we are worried about in Dalymount not sure about other clubs but in our case it would not make sense to have full time backroom staff for a part time team. not denying the importance of underage structure (especially for the future) but given the current economic downturn and primary focus on first team (the main money earner at most clubs) I suspect underage development may suffer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Underage development should not suffer though. If the FAI are bringing in an U19 league, it's showing they want a focus on youth.
    Is there still going to be an U20 league?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    There's talk of this starting in October.

Which if true is yet another example of the clown like thinking at hq

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    There's talk of this starting in October.

Which if true is yet another example of the clown like thinking at hq
    Yep, winter football for the under 19's (and possibly under 17's the following season) and summer football for the seniors. Genius.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    I actually thought the under 19s was replacing the under 20s. Am I wrong on that, yeah? And clubs will soon have to field a first-team, a reserve side, u-20s, u-19s and u-17s?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Another one that can be filed under "Sure, we'd love to be able to treat this properly but we've no fecking money" for msot clubs

From what I'm hearing, pretty much every club is scaling back all outlay so its not really the time to be adding more epense (however well intentioned)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Teams shouldn't have to field more that 4 sides. Would imagine it'll be first-team, A-Team (cue the music!), U19 and U17. The U19 is surely replacing the U20? A after U19 they can go into the A Championship.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    Under 19 was due to replace under 20 this year from what I can remember. I think the clubs wanted under 20 to be extended for a year.

I definitely agree that all clubs should be able to field an under 17, 19 and senior side at the very least, in the medium term the development of these players should counteract the expense anyway.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Is this a LoI U-19 league? Would it not be more beneficial to have LoI clubs enter U-19 teams in whatever regional U-19 leagues are knocking about? Strikes me that when you see teams travelling with 9 players because they don't care, it defeats the purpose of the competition for the others to an extent. (I don't know if that's even feasible, but it sounds like it should work better than what's there at the moment)

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    There will be an "elite" Under 19 National league with 14 teams in it.
    There will then be regional divisions below that with Intermediate or Junior sides allowed to enter.
    The Under 19 and Under 17 leagues will be licenced based also.

I think adding an under 17 league is fantastic, if they added an under 15 league there too all the better.

23. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast