Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Well done Shams

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Am I the only one who thought the football this season was better than the last couple of years? Granted, Rovers didn't play champagne football, but Sligo, UCD and Fingal have been playing the ball on the floor the way nobody has in this country for years.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Congrats Shamrock Rovers!!
    As champions, I hope ye go on to represent the LoI well in Europe next season.
    Fair play to Boh's as well, as reigning champions they put up a good fight, brought it to the last day and won 3-1.
    Well done to Sligo Rovers as well. Third place is a magnificent achievement. I hope they get to enjoy a Cup win. They have been superb. Sligo only being 4 points off the top, keep that squad together...
    Fingal then as well, backed hugely financially but still, first season for the club in the Premier, they've finished 4th and only 5 points off the top. European football to look forward to for the second season on the trot, not bad at all.
    Ah man, way to ruin a good post. And yes I am bitter.

Well done Shams. Thoroughly deserved over the season. Still think all in all Team of the season has to go to Sligo. And maybe even Mons. And Lims as well. In fact the LOI had a really good year with an awful lot if positives. Especially the last 3 weekends which were a great example of white line fever. Great season and here's to more of the same next year. Well with us getting promoted.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Good read in the Indo touching on the finances side:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...n-2401327.html
    apart from this bit: "While their victory over Bray Wanderers earned the club €200,000 in prize money......."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    You've never heard of "1 point won, 2 points lost" so.

12-2 =

Fear an Sligeach: "8"

Try again. 12-2 =

"10"

Very good. You might get a gold star for the right answer. Except in your case, it's the bronze star for 3rd place.
    Most normal people (I know that excludes you and "Model Club") when they say we took x amount of points off a club this season are on about the amount of points that their own club got not the amount of points that they stopped the other team getting.

For example if someone asked me how many points did Sligo take from Shams this season I would say 2. Not "we stopped them getting 4 points extra"

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Most normal people (I know that excludes you and "Model Club") when they say we took x amount of points off a club this season are on about the amount of points that their own club got not the amount of points that they stopped the other team getting.

For example if someone asked me how many points did Sligo take from Shams this season I would say 2. Not "we stopped them getting 4 points extra"
    Please dont tie me in with Myposts maths lesson.I have my own opinions and express them as I wish.Just because we both support the same team doesn't mean we share anything else.
    How would you like if I refered to you and "rasputin" as one and the same.

If you have an issue with me take me up on it.

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    As usual? Where was I posting anything like this before? Anyway carry on, not like I want to stop your self destruction.
    Sorry to cause confusion,twas more a broad remark regarding your brethren.

We intend carrying on thanks.Thats as much financial advice as we need though-especially from the Anglo Irish bank of the LOI!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah
    Most normal people when they say we took x amount of points off a club this season are on about the amount of points that their own club got not the amount of points that they stopped the other team getting.

Most normal people know that 12-2 = 10. That's a lot of points unclaimed in a season.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    As one who followed Rovers at Milltown and used to make the trek across the city as a kid to Dalymount for cup finals and games against Bohs and to Tolka to see the Hoops take on Drums and Shels and who was heart broken when Milltown was sold to property developers by someone who eventually became President of the FAI (!!) (supported by Dunphy), this to me is perhaps Rovers greatest achievement and the best day in its long and distinguished history. The club now has a reasonably secure ground and a good fanbase. Who would have thought this as the club was reprieved by the revenue commissioners just a few years ago. Huge congratulations to everyone involved in the club and those who stuck with it during the dark days.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    You nearly f*cked it up, but congrats Shams best end to a league competition in a long time
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Am I the only one who thought the football this season was better than the last couple of years? Granted, Rovers didn't play champagne football, but Sligo, UCD and Fingal have been playing the ball on the floor the way nobody has in this country for years.
    I think the standard of the league is nothing to what it was just a few years ago tbh.
    Look at the teams Drogs, Cork, Derry and Bohs fielded, the standard was just higher.
    But tbh its neither here nor there, the teams they fielded were compeltely unsustainable on the economic model they had.
    Still doesnt change from the fact it is the weakest LOI in years.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Overall the league was probably weaker but I think it's a valid point by Charlie Darwin that UCD, Fingal and Sligo are definitely playing an attractive brand of football. There's also been some incredible games and some stunning goals this season, I think the quality of goals in the goal of the season competition will be exceptional this year. Add to that the fact that pretty much everything was decided on the last day and all in it was an excellent league season.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,271 Posts
    The top teams are weaker, but that was always going to happen. The bottom teams are probably getting stronger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The top teams are weaker, but that was always going to happen. The bottom teams are probably getting stronger.
    Do you really think the likes of Bray, Galway and Drogs are better than the bottom teams over the past decade or so?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It's only weaker relative to an unsustainable past. I'll take this season over any other if it is the start of a realism in Irish soccer. The close season (for most of us) is upon us and we have scary days ahead with Bohs and dare I say it, the Fungus. If what the Lep says is true then we just need to concern ourselves with a potential implosion in Phibsboro. But let's leave that speculation til November 15th. There's still a lot of football to be played. And a potential cracker of a cup final.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    As one who followed Rovers at Milltown and used to make the trek across the city as a kid to Dalymount for cup finals and games against Bohs and to Tolka to see the Hoops take on Drums and Shels and who was heart broken when Milltown was sold to property developers by someone who eventually became President of the FAI (!!) (supported by Dunphy), this to me is perhaps Rovers greatest achievement and the best day in its long and distinguished history. The club now has a reasonably secure ground and a good fanbase. Who would have thought this as the club was reprieved by the revenue commissioners just a few years ago. Huge congratulations to everyone involved in the club and those who stuck with it during the dark days.
    + 1. Despite our rivalry can genuinely be glad for the shams that stuck with them through the wlderness years. Know some of them and am aware of the hard work and dedication that turned things round when at times their very existance was at stake. enjoy guys !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Do you really think the likes of Bray, Galway and Drogs are better than the bottom teams over the past decade or so?
    Yeah, I think so. But it's hard to tell; maybe it's just that the top clubs are poorer that the bottom ones appear more competitive and so better as a result.

This year, for example, Drogheda were very similar to us in 2008, but with more points. Bray in the second half of the season were a decent side - though had they matched their second-half points tally in the first half of the season, they'd still have been in the play-offs I think, so they weren't massively improved - and Galway took ten points off Bohs; don't recall the last side to end in the bottom three to do that to a top two side.

If you go back ten years as you suggest, there were some really poor sides - Kilkenny, Monaghan and Galway for example with 9, 12 and 15 points early in the decade stand out. It's hard to really tell of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, I think so. But it's hard to tell; maybe it's just that the top clubs are poorer that the bottom ones appear more competitive and so better as a result.
    From my watching of the games this season I think it is just that the top clubs are poorer tbh.
    This year, for example, Drogheda were very similar to us in 2008, but with more points. Bray in the second half of the season were a decent side - though had they matched their second-half points tally in the first half of the season, they'd still have been in the play-offs I think, so they weren't massively improved - and Galway took ten points off Bohs; don't recall the last side to end in the bottom three to do that to a top two side.
    I didnt think yee were as bad as Drogs were this season.
    As for the Galway and Bohs thing, I wouldnt read too much into that, sometimes teams can have a bogey team as such.
    If you go back ten years as you suggest, there were some really poor sides - Kilkenny, Monaghan and Galway for example with 9, 12 and 15 points early in the decade stand out. It's hard to really tell of course.
    That is true though that the old Kilkenny and Monaghan teams were just woefull.
    But the difference this season is the standard of the bottom of the league was worse IMO, Drogs, Bray and Galway were 3 poor teams to be in a 10 team premier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,271 Posts
    You've also got the likes of the Waterford and Bray teams in 2006 who didn't even meet Dublin City's points tally even when City went bust half-way through the league; fairly bad teams both of them. Bray last year weren't great I think (wasn't paying as much attention to the Premier obviously).

Granted, Waterford in particular suffered that year cos they were thrown into the Premier at a week's notice. I'm sure there were other poor teams too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Generally speaking I thought the standard in the Prem was poor this year but some clubs (Sligo, UCD, Sporting Fingal spring to mind) play a very attractive standard of football. Shams probobly the most consistent which is wjhy they won it (usually is) especially as the clubs around them Bohs and Sligo had more ups and downs than a rollercoaster. Do not see enough of the first Divisionto comment on standard so will leave that to those that can but reports I heard were that it was a good standard this year.

Very difficult to judge who was/were better champions as there are so many variables involved (champions team, opposition etc etc) all that can be said is that the champions were the best that year.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I think the standard of the league is nothing to what it was just a few years ago tbh.
    Look at the teams Drogs, Cork, Derry and Bohs fielded, the standard was just higher.
    But tbh its neither here nor there, the teams they fielded were compeltely unsustainable on the economic model they had.
    Still doesnt change from the fact it is the weakest LOI in years.
    The standard of the individual players was higher but I think as a team game the standard of football has improved. Certainly, I'd never thought I'd see an Irish side go to Portugal and take them on with a passing game and actually succeed.

I wouldn't put that all down to the economic model, either. That was obviously a big draw for players, but there were also a glut of homegrown players who were at the peak a few years back and are heading towards retirement now (specifically J Byrne and Crowe). There are a lot of very young players in the league now who will be a lot better in a couple of years. Also, the circumstances that relegated Cork and Derry and Bray's not having had time to recruit a proper squad meant a lot of Prem-standard players were operating in the second tier.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast