Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: For or Aganist Winter Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    But is this the way the club voted?
    Is this whole thing not guesswork though? Or have I missed where clubs have said what way they voted?

AFAIK, Rovers have never said what they voted for so don't see why people are saying we voted winter(although the former chairman did want it a few years ago)
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I'd agree the clubs don't appear to have consulted fans (although members clubs should be fairly representative) and so fans veiws have no influence on how the club votes, but also you can't make the leap that internet forums are representative of all fans either. Using Dundalk as an example, just because the fans on the internet forum are against winter football doesn't necessarily translate to a majority of Dundalk fans are againts a return to winter football (same as the poll here doesn't represent the whole LoI fanbase, whichever way the vote goes).
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Is this whole thing not guesswork though? Or have I missed where clubs have said what way they voted?

AFAIK, Rovers have never said what they voted for so don't see why people are saying we voted winter(although the former chairman did want it a few years ago)
    Lads, i know that this thread is not fully representative of LOI, it will never be and never has been. Equally if you were to interview a cross section of fans going into a game, they wouldn't represent the whole fan base. I am not claiming it will ever do that.

Of the LOI fans that are online here (if you could say its a representative cross section or not) its a gauge of what they think.

Also, i know its guess work on here, as is player transfers, match attendances, breaking news, clubs financial status, etc. but we do know that all 22 clubs have voted and for something which is going to have such a profound affect on the league and LOI fans being the biggest group of stakeholders by far i don't think its unfair for us to try and establish who is voting which ever way.

Fans, on here, should be able to get it fairly bang on what way clubs have voted, and its not harm in fans knowing what way their club did vote. I know some chairmen probably thought that they would never have another single bit of limelight from this but because of the lunacy of it i think we all deserve to know who is making this decision on our behalf.

This is an open forum and this thread is open for opinion, for both Winter and Summer. If Winter football is the best way to go then lets hear why? one in four people seem to think it is the way to go. Why? The only argument so far is for nostalgia and games at Christmas etc. There is nothing concrete like some sort of analysis or forecast. With the absence of any of this, its definitely not unfair to question the reasoning behind it.

There is a good article on it here.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Some in the GAA seem a bit worried by the number of live games the LoI is going to be getting:
    http://www.examiner.ie/sport/costell...te-138626.html

It goes to show the league will be enjoying more exposure.

One point on Winter football or not, when clubs start qualifying for Europa League group stages, they'll be playing until the middle of December. The weather has been bad of late but it wouldn't stop me going to a game. I'm not really too fussed whether it's summer or a winter season. I think the summer season has been going grand. If I had to make a choice though, I'd be for a mid-July start to the season. Having the same season as Junior and Intermediate clubs is the best way for new clubs to join the league and leave as well it they feel it's in their best interests. I think the A Championship in a winter season might have attracted more clubs.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    but we do know that all 22 clubs have voted and for something which is going to have such a profound affect on the league.
    A Face ,why do you continue to ignore the arguments that are made which suggest that it won't have a profound effect on the league. Seeing as attendances didn't change with the introduction of summer football, how can you say there will be a profound effect on them with a return to winter football? And seeing as how it's impossible to tell how much of an effect summer football had on European success when we consider the full-time status of most of those teams, what profound effects are you talking about?

You continue to describe a desire for winter football as lunacy without making any attempt to debate the points put to you, and you criticise people for not offering something 'concrete like an analysis or forecast' while totally failing to provide these yourself.
    Last edited by osarusan; 07/12/2010 at 9:19 AM.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I am neither for or against summer football but I know from talking to a lot of Galway United Supporters in the last few months especially those I havent seen at a loi game in a while Summer Soccer causes problems to the majority who have children .The reason being that they are either involved in GAA Games or Training with their youngsters all summer long plus other activities tied in with their kids on Friday/Saturday nights during the summer whereas they have more freetime on winters evenings.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    I am neither for or against summer football but I know from talking to a lot of Galway United Supporters in the last few months especially those I havent seen at a loi game in a while Summer Soccer causes problems to the majority who have children .The reason being that they are either involved in GAA Games or Training with their youngsters all summer long plus other activities tied in with their kids on Friday/Saturday nights during the summer whereas they have more freetime on winters evenings.
    Like you, I'm neither for or against either. It's a good point regards supporters you've spoken to, summer activities can take up people's time. As I say, if I had to make a choice, I'd go with a mid-July start to the season.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Equally if you were to interview a cross section of fans going into a game, they wouldn't represent the whole fan base.
    You, or rather they (as in the FAI), could get a statistically relevant sample across the league to help make decisions. They could also carry out research with a wider general population sample. They could've done it for the move to summer football, or for a 10 team league. They're either not arsed enough to bother, or scared what they'll get back won't suit them. The scared point is particularly relevant when looking at current decisions - a few heads are so tied with summer football and the ten team league that they'd be embarrassed if the results went the "wrong" way. So they won't and will continue to do things on a whim.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    EDIT: Already posted above.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 07/12/2010 at 12:26 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Some in the GAA seem a bit worried by the number of live games the LoI is going to be getting:
    This is bizarre.

"By 2013, RTÉ will screen more live games of League of Ireland soccer than Gaelic games championship action (hurling and football combined)," noted Costello.
    Um, yeah, because you sold the rights to half the games (including all Dublin fixtures) to TV3. These mandarins really have no shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post

It goes to show the league will be enjoying more exposure.
    A bit of a strange article. They're saying that TV coverage of GAA matches is causing a drop in attendances, but then complain that RTÉ are showing less GAA and more LoI, even though it was the GAA that wanted less games on TV. What....?

I do get why some of the rural clubs may think it'd be easier for their fans to attend matches during the winter, but how many of them would be out in days like this (assuming the match even goes ahead)? The IL had no matches last weekend, and is unlikely to have any this weekend, bar maybe at Solitude or Seaview. We'd have weeks of the only matches in the League being paid in Dundalk.
    We should just accept that we don't have the climate for winter football (and so should the IL and Scotland for that matter).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    A Face ,why do you continue to ignore the arguments that are made which suggest that it won't have a profound effect on the league. Seeing as attendances didn't change with the introduction of summer football, how can you say there will be a profound effect on them with a return to winter football? And seeing as how it's impossible to tell how much of an effect summer football had on European success when we consider the full-time status of most of those teams, what profound effects are you talking about?

You continue to describe a desire for winter football as lunacy without making any attempt to debate the points put to you, and you criticise people for not offering something 'concrete like an analysis or forecast' while totally failing to provide these yourself.
    How about our winters are a LOT worse now.

What are the attendances for FAI cup finals since Summer football compared to the previous 6 during winter football?
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    It is to an extent, depends on the poster(do they know/have the club said/are the completely bull****ting).

Derry voted Summer, definately.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Just read your blog post Kev and everything you said is bang on.
    It is very clear, from what I can gauge, that most of us (those who have commented anyway) are against this mentalism.
    As has been previously pointed out, this is not necessarily representative of LOI fans as a whole or representative of all of the nuances of what opinions are on here however it is what we have to go on.
    So how about we use it and use our opposition (that is, those of us who are opposed, here) to this extraordinary idea and do something about it?
    It may fall on deaf ears and it may go no where but our opinions on this forum will go just as far with the people who decide this.
    It is our game. And we are the people who are there come rain or shine. Our opinions matter.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    BS,

As I said in the blog(Here, fo those that want to read it), we have seen no explanation of the rational of this move.

As for getting people to do anything on it, good luck with that.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Oh don't get me wrong you are correct that it will go no where most likely. But I actually fear that this is so retrograde that it could annhilate some clubs at this stage.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The FAI won't let it happen anyway so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it to be honest.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    I've read Maribor Kev's blog, and while most of what he says is correct, he only tells half the story.

In the blog he looks at a move to winter football in relation to the following points:

* Playing Quality
    * Finances
    * European Competition
    * Spectators
    * Facilities
    * Crowds

and concludes that winter football will not be good for improving any of them. And I have no argument with that. but what he doesn't mention is the link between those points and summer football, with the exception of playing quality. I agree with him that better pitches allow better football, and the fewer games called off the better.

As for the rest, the link between them and summer football is tenuous at best. With regard to finances, what evidence is there that summer football leads to better finances?

European competition - again, we have had better results in recent years, but in my opinion, the full-time status of the teams in europe is the bigger factor in that success.

Spectators - crowds haven't increased, so I think we can conclude that the theory that the average punter was more likely to drop in on a summer's evening than a winter's evening is by no means proven. It seems to me that the average punter isn't likely to drop in at all, no matter what the weather is like.

Facilities - unless you believe that lots of sunlight helps facilities to sprout from the soil - what's the link? That given our facilities, it's nicer to watch football in summer? As MariborKev says in his blog, "None of this matter to us, we're fanatics." But my point is that apart from the fanatics who don't care about facilities, weather, or quality of football, the league has failed to attract others in summer as much as in winter.

Crowds - as I've mentioned, crowds haven't gone up. Numbers have basically stayed the same, and I'd argue that any increases are driven by the success of the team in question rather than the weather.

In his blog, Kev makes two very salient points on of which I've already quoted - that being that us maniacs will watch the games regardless. But I don't agree that summer football has been successful in generating increased numbers at games, so I don't see how returning to winter football will have such a terrible effect on crowds.

Secondly, Kev makes this point, "People will not come back if there is winter football. People will come if you are winning games." Why are these two things seen as mutually exclusive? They're not.

If LOI can offer decent entertainment in decent facilities, people will come to watch, regardless of the season. If LOI can't offer that, people won't come to watch, regardless of the season.

I've already given my opinion on the issue - I'd prefer to stay with summer football, because it will have fewer games called off and because that's what we have at the moment, and I see no reason to change. But the notion that a return to winter football is a huge step backwards for the league is something I disagree with. It will be a sidewards step, making little difference to the league's ability to attract new fans or sponsorship.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    How about our winters are a LOT worse now.
    Worse compared to the previous decade or so, not compared to the entire history of the league, which has been pointed out before, the league survived through.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    What are the attendances for FAI cup finals since Summer football compared to the previous 6 during winter football?
    Too many other variables to use that as any evidence one way or the other, imo.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    This is actually silly. It's such a not argument.

People "survive" cancer these days, doesn't mean we should all rush out and get it. Granted that's extreme, but anyone who thinks winter football is the answer seriously wants to rethink the questions they are asking.
    MD

21. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    What a remarkably silly post. And unfortunately typical of the "arguments" on both sides of the debate.

If anyone wants to post any actual evidence either way, feel free. Any more posts like the one above and the thread gets closed.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast