123 Posts
    reasons for summer football
    1 better pitches
    2.better football
    3 less brass monkeys
    4.no cancelled games.
    5. better euro results (i think)

reasons for winter football
    less things to distract fans away from games (I dont think so).
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    There still have not been any real decent and meaningful argument in favour of winter football. Its alarming that this is actually the case, that it possible will come to pass and that there is completely no justification for it.

If the FAI let this happen then they deserve everything they get.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    So the fact that it worked fine for decades, and does so all over Europe isn't a decent and meaningful argument?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    So the fact that it worked fine for decades, and does so all over Europe isn't a decent and meaningful argument?
    Yeah, it's a good argument.

Has the standard of pitches improved significantly in summer football? I only started following the league after summer football was introduced but you would think that it is much easier to keep the pitches in good condition with summer football.
    Robbie Hedderman. Arguably the greatest Derry City player of all time...

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hedderman View Post
    Has the standard of pitches improved significantly in summer football? I only started following the league after summer football was introduced but you would think that it is much easier to keep the pitches in good condition with summer football.
    That's open to question, certainly in the longer term - there isn't much opportunity for pitch renewal over the winter months, and little opportunity for bigger jobs such as drainage.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Spoke to our groundsman about it, he said the standard of pitches would be no problem if clubs invested in their pitches. He admits that the pitches have all improved with summer football but as a supporter he is a major fan of Winter football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I've gone to rugby and gaelic games in the winter so would not have a problem going to Association Football games in the winter. Clubs have to look at investing in their pitches at some stage and if they do, winter football should not be that much of a problem. If the season was to start around mid-July, April - July should be a good time of year to work on pitches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I've gone to rugby and gaelic games in the winter so would not have a problem going to Association Football games in the winter. Clubs have to look at investing in their pitches at some stage and if they do, winter football should not be that much of a problem. If the season was to start around mid-July, April - July should be a good time of year to work on pitches.
    Association football? My god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ARooney28 View Post
    Ah cut him some shlack, he is from Kerry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    You'll get roughly the same crowds either way. The debate shouldn't be about winter v summer, it should be about ko times.

If you want football on a dark June/July evening, put the ko time back half an hour, let people come home from work/college and give them time to get to the game in comfort, or better still play on a (revolutionary idea of course) family-friendly weekend day, like everywhere, and I mean everywhere else. Don't put live tv games on, when the target audience is out watching their own team playing. Don't let it compete with egg-chasing, horse fairs, car boot sales and other competing attractions down the road. In Europe, the areas around stadiums are packed 3-4 hours before ko, not 5 minutes as is the usual case here.

In short, cater for your customers, not your employees. That's what usually works in other businesses, and helps to make them profitable and sustainable.
    Last edited by mypost; 14/11/2010 at 2:41 AM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ARooney28 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    The game of football is any of several similar team sports, of similar origins which involve, to varying degrees, kicking a ball with the foot in an attempt to score a goal. The most popular of these sports worldwide is association football, more commonly known as just "football" or "soccer". Unqualified, the word football applies to whichever form of football is the most popular in each particular part of the world, including American football, Australian rules football, Canadian football, Gaelic football, rugby league, rugby union and other related games. These variations are known as "codes."
    I'd refer to both Gaelic Football and Association Football as Football but as above mentioned in wiki, disambiguation is needed!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    For me summer football has to stay because as A Face has said there has been no strong argument to return to winter football other than nostalgia. People talk about better results in Europe and better pitches but for me one big reason stands out to retain summer football and thats the road into Ballybofey. In the winter I hate driving that road and it's so much more appealing to drive to a game in the evening sunlight, watch a game and drive home rather than drive 3hours in the rain and dark and freeze my b@lls off in what can only be described as a hay shed (and thats an insult to farm buildings) for 90mins.
    Also just take a look at the pitch in Bray last week for an example of what the pitches would look like.
    "It's not the despair; I can handle the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." John Cleese on supporting a LOI club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Results of thee poll seem pretty conclusive. Hopefully common sense prevails now from the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HulaHoop View Post
    Results of thee poll seem pretty conclusive. Hopefully common sense prevails now from the FAI.
    So, it's a swift return to the winter season again.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    voted summer, but that's only because I want my deckchair to have a good view for when the iceberg hits. Winter or summer isn't the issue, it's better facilities. As an engineer, of all the grounds I've been to so far (which isn't even half admittedly), I've yet to see one that to me is in a good condition, construction wise. The quality of the football is slowly but surely improving, on the whole the majority of clubs seem to be getting their **** in order, what the league needs now is a bit of decent leadership and a some long term planning for investment.
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shantykelly View Post
    voted summer, but that's only because I want my deckchair to have a good view for when the iceberg hits. Winter or summer isn't the issue, it's better facilities. As an engineer, of all the grounds I've been to so far (which isn't even half admittedly), I've yet to see one that to me is in a good condition, construction wise. The quality of the football is slowly but surely improving, on the whole the majority of clubs seem to be getting their **** in order, what the league needs now is a bit of decent leadership and a some long term planning for investment.
    Have you been to the Tallaght stadium?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    no. i followed the construction pictures that were sometimes posted, and it looks like a good finished article. thats one ground out of how many? brandywell is a **** hole, finn park is a field with a shed, gortakeegan, terryland, all extremely basic. was impressed with wexfors's setup, but more from the potential the place had than from the actual facilities - basic, but a good start. better off-field management and better facilities are the main targets the league should be working towards. and a good concrete/mortar supplier in bray.
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shantykelly View Post
    no. i followed the construction pictures that were sometimes posted, and it looks like a good finished article. thats one ground out of how many? brandywell is a **** hole, finn park is a field with a shed, gortakeegan, terryland, all extremely basic. was impressed with wexfors's setup, but more from the potential the place had than from the actual facilities - basic, but a good start. better off-field management and better facilities are the main targets the league should be working towards. and a good concrete/mortar supplier in bray.
    Here, that dodgy wall has created more employment than any government ministry. 3 brickies, some stewards, 4 paramedics and a surgeon are all directly employed in wall-related activities.

22. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    You forgot to say "Worth an estimated E2m to the local economy". Not quite FF material. Keep trying though.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If I thought a move to winter football would be preceded by an upgrade in stadium facilities across the country... but we know that'd never happen. Winter football might work for the clubs/players but it's not fan-friendly at all.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast