Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bohs start clear out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Bohs start clear out

Article in todays Sun saying Fenlons entire Backroom Team are to be axed after tomorrow nights game and no out of contract player being retained.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts
    From today's Irish Sun

AXED: Fenlon is force to cut all his backroom

By Neil O'Riordan

Bohemians chief Pat Fenlon has been forced to axe his ENTIRE backroom staff because of the club's financial woes.

Assistant boss Liam O'Brien, goalkeeping coach Dermot O'Neill, scout Dave Henderson, physio Tony McCarthy, masseur Keith Browne and kitman Colin O'Connor were all told they would not be kept on.

As it stands, no out-of-contract player will be re-signed either as Bohs slash their budget in a bid to cope with debts of more than €5.5 million.

It is hardly ideal preparation before tomorrow night's final league games against Dundalk.

But Fenlon said: "As disappointing as losing to Galway last week was, it has been more difficult to tell my staff that they are being let go. There's an impression that they were earning a lot of money, that's not true. But they were very loyal and very good in the three years I've been here. They've done more than they've probably needed to. They've all contributed greatly but I've had to tell them that after Friday, they can't be kept on. It's very disappointing and a bit disillusioning. Despite that, we'll prepare in the same way for this game as we would any other. That's what's so sad because they're great professionals who will do their work. They'll do everything to prepare the players to try to win the game."

Bohs look to have thrown away a third successive title by losing to Galway last week. Fenlon added: "Last Friday was very disappointing but if you look over a season, that's when a league is won and lost. The only thing was we had a second chance last week and we didn't take it. Whether we get a third chance, time will tell. We will be professional and try to finish the season off on a high. We want to get our pride back and to get three points, if that brings something extra, great, if it doesn't we'll deal with it."

A goalkeeper crisis has been averted as Barry Murphy has recovered from the groin injury which forced him off in the 3-2 loss to Galway and will start as Chris O'Connor is suspended.
    I'm sure this news can't be a massive shock to the Bohs' backroom team but either way it's sad news, hopefully they can find alternative work for next season. Things must be deteriorating even more to make that decision before the final game of the season, how that can do Bohs morale any good before the Dundalk game is beyond me.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Seems strange to release this now, no doubt it's been known for a while but the squeeze came on. Main thing is they survive and stay in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    not sure about the timing but has been obvious for a while that Bohs intended to cut back drastically next season. Obviously the priority has to be putting a team on the pitch and then augmenting it with backroom staff. At this stage I dont think a budget for next season has been agreed internally (subject to FAI ratification) and with a level of contractoral commitments already it is no surprise that any player out of contract has not been offered new terms.

Obviously disappointing for those involved but was well flagged that it was almost certain to happen

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    At this stage I dont think a budget for next season has been agreed internally (subject to FAI ratification) and with a level of contractoral commitments already it is no surprise that any player out of contract has not been offered new terms.
    I recall hearing that Bohs have contractual commitments of €600,000 on players contracts for next season. Anyone know how reliable this is and which players are under contract?

I was amused the read this comment from Pat Fenlon about his position:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-2393317.html
    He stressed his determination to stay at the Phibsboro club once this season is finished, while admitting that the financial situation is so dire that even a league win wouldn't prevent inevitable cost-cutting.
    "I've got a contract until 2013. I've no intention of walking out on a club that's been good to me, that's for certain," said Fenlon.
    Could this mean "I am on a big fat wage, and will continue to take the money, unless a better offer comes my way"

Probably just me being cynical!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    'Unsubstantiated allegation', hmmm. How about this then. There's a good possibility that Bohs under contract players will be asked to tear up their contracts on Sat as the club can't pay them over the pre season, and there's a possibility that the players wages weren't lodged to their accounts today. Surely this is ok to say?
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Who are the Out of Contract players?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    From recollection I think it was something like 10 players under contract, and they accounted for 600k in wages.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
    'Unsubstantiated allegation', hmmm. How about this then. There's a good possibility that Bohs under contract players will be asked to tear up their contracts on Sat as the club can't pay them over the pre season, and there's a possibility that the players wages weren't lodged to their accounts today. Surely this is ok to say?
    ive got an unsubstantiated allegation or two floating around about "the Model Club" if you'd like me to share? Personally i think that sort of unsubtantiated crap is off limits but if you're game?

Also, you do realise, surely, by now that not everything that is whistleblown over on your forum is true? You've been made to look like mugs already this season by believing every little rumour you hear. Either way, there is nothing in your post that most intelligent people couldnt foresee anyway.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Could this mean "I am on a big fat wage, and will continue to take the money, unless a better offer comes my way"

thats what i thought too.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Either way, there is nothing in your post that most intelligent people couldnt foresee anyway.
    [really obvious dig]Funny that most Bohs fans couldn't foresee this until a couple of months ago though, despite being told repeatedly it was going to happen.[/really obvious dig]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

Funny enough that seems to be the concensus from the majority of Bohs fans on the Bohs forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    [really obvious dig]Funny that most Bohs fans couldn't foresee this until a couple of months ago though, despite being told repeatedly it was going to happen.[/really obvious dig]

yeah, well played Stu. Conveniently ignoring the fact that a few posters in this little bastion of idiocy that passes for a decent message board doesnt constitute most Bohs fans.

All that said, seeing as though you, as moderator, are willing to flex the rules to take a few obvious digs at Bohs, can i post some unsubstantiated rumours about Shams?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    All that said, seeing as though you, as moderator, are willing to flex the rules to take a few obvious digs at Bohs, can i post some unsubstantiated rumours about Shams?
    Jesus christ man, have you read the rules here at all?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    ive got an unsubstantiated allegation or two floating around about "the Model Club" if you'd like me to share? Personally i think that sort of unsubtantiated crap is off limits but if you're game?

Also, you do realise, surely, by now that not everything that is whistleblown over on your forum is true? You've been made to look like mugs already this season by believing every little rumour you hear. Either way, there is nothing in your post that most intelligent people couldnt foresee anyway.
    'Off limits'. Of course all you Bohs lads would never accuse anyone at our club of anything 'unsubstantiated'. Anyhow the been made to look like mugs is comical. Enjoy your pre season, there's a few players in the LJL I'll pass on to Nutsy to have a look at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    ...can i post some unsubstantiated rumours about Shams?
    Hey, it's supposed to be an anti-Rovers forum, knock yourself out.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

18. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Eh, let's not encourage that kind of tit-for-tat-topic-what-topic stuff John, yeah?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
    Of course all you Bohs lads would never accuse anyone at our club of anything 'unsubstantiated'..
    we dont need to. Theres enough stuff out there on film and in the media without having to resort to rumour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    we dont need to. Theres enough stuff out there on film and in the media without having to resort to rumour.
    Indeed. Not to mention the stuff Fitzmaurice, Quinn and O'Riordan make up to help their beloved Bohs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Urgh I see where this thread is going, I'm off to the attendance thread at least there are some facts over there
    Here on a technicality.

23. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast