Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The next Ireland manager?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    It'll most likely be Brady and/ or Tardelli.

Brady wanted the job prior to Trapattoni's appointment and there's no real reason to suggest that desire for the job is gone.

Anybody else notice how "diplomatic" Brady has become in evaluating individual player performances on RTE? Prior to the appointment of Trapattoni, one of the reasons Brady has not deemed suitable for the job was his criticism of players on RTE. While Brady's more diplomatic approach in appraising player performances can be seen as a show of support for Trapattoni, Brady might also be consciously considering the future and the part he has to play in it.
    Last edited by ifk101; 29/10/2010 at 9:44 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post

Brady wanted the job prior to Trapattoni's appointment and there's no real reason to suggest that desire for the job is gone.

Anybody else notice how "diplomatic" Brady has become in evaluating individual player performances on RTE? Prior to the appointment of Trapattoni, one of the reasons Brady has not deemed suitable for the job was his criticism of players on RTE. While Brady's more diplomatic approach in appraising player performances can be seen as a show of support for Trapattoni, Brady might also be consciously considering the future and the part he has to play in it.
    A credible argument - but why take the RTE gig if you know you'll be hamstrung with diplomacy??
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    A credible argument - but why take the RTE gig if you know you'll be hamstrung with diplomacy??

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Brady's not up to it. For the earlier flaws identified.
    And has a very cosy number at Arsenal. Probably for Life if he wants it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Of the potential candidates mentioned here? I cannot understand the clamour for O'Neill. I just can't. Would Irish fans cack themselves for him if he hadn't managed Celtic? Strachan's record there stands up against him up there and I guess there won't be a stampede for the little ginger to take over from Trap. Plus his "record" at Villa, for the money spent, wasn't superb at all. As it stands I think in this decade we'll actually have the players to play a more composed possession based game, and consequently I wouldn't be too eager for O'Neill to take over.
    Bit harsh. At Celtic he was coming up against a far more competitive Rangers side under McLeish than I think Strachan faced during his whole tenure. He was also generally more successful in Europe. They also simply played better football than Strachan's side.

As for under Villa, I actually thought he did a very good job. Made some questionable calls, but taking a side who were previously so poor and inconsistent and making them contenders is no mean feat. I think the amount he spent is a red herring since he paid a bomb for people like Milner and Young even though they have considerable resale value. And also the problem with monies spent is Villa can only aspire to purchase certain players since it's no competition between them and the top four plus Man City and Spurs. To be 7th in the queue isn't easy and it meant he had to pay a lot for some average players. He probably could've looked farther afield for players but that was his biggest problem - simple stubborness. Not always a bad thing in a manager.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Bit harsh. At Celtic he was coming up against a far more competitive Rangers side under McLeish than I think Strachan faced during his whole tenure. He was also generally more successful in Europe. They also simply played better football than Strachan's side.

Just about, also he isnt a coach and has left many dressing rooms very unhappy

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    A football manager is better to leave winning dressing rooms than happy dressing rooms.

I do believe that M O' Neill still has to prove it at the highest level but how many managers get the chance at a top four club(and with money) these days
    O'Neill probably would do a good job but we will never know until/if he gets a chance at one of the big contenders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I have a high regard for Chris Hughton and would welcome him as a future Ireland manager. I have a hunch he'll be out of a job with Newcastle before the Ireland job comes up - such is football - and has a lot of experience in both the managerial and coaching contexts, including of course as assistant to Brian Kerr. As he is based in England he'd be able to keep a closer eye on how the majority of the players are progressing with their clubs. He has to be a contender.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    There's no chance it'd be MO'N. Well, not for most of this decade unless his club record takes a major dive.

So Hughton, O'Driscoll & Tardelli should be the main contenders?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I thought I read somewhere that O'Neill is lined up to take a mega-bucks job in Saudi Arabia on a 2 year contract.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that O'Neill is lined up to take a mega-bucks job in Saudi Arabia on a 2 year contract.
    Yeah, O'Learys assistant I think.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I think MON's the type of coach that players love when it's going well and hate when it's going not so well. Probably because he's stubborn and combative. And certainly at Villa he had his team and those who wern't getting a look in wern't happy. But that's the way it goes. To contrast, Houllier's had a go at Stephen Ireland and Nigel Reo Coker in the last three days and MON would never have done that - always says the team played brilliant, bigs up players regularly etc. It's his style and, generally, I like it.

Was the Celtic dressing room that unhappy? I always thought they were fairly settled under MON...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    It was in the Mirror last week like a done deal. Haven't heard a peep about it since though.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    I think MON's the type of coach that players love when it's going well and hate when it's going not so well. Probably because he's stubborn and combative. And certainly at Villa he had his team and those who wern't getting a look in wern't happy. But that's the way it goes. To contrast, Houllier's had a go at Stephen Ireland and Nigel Reo Coker in the last three days and MON would never have done that - always says the team played brilliant, bigs up players regularly etc. It's his style and, generally, I like it.

Was the Celtic dressing room that unhappy? I always thought they were fairly settled under MON...
    He is a manager
    Probably was liked in dressing room at celtic, but the football was dire stuff to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    If we go down in flames on Tuesday who will the FAI look to next?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I'd rather Trap and Tardelli got a final campaign. They aren't progressing the team in an attacking sense but they have us competitive which is something many managers wouldn't be able to.
    Many of the senior players have already said whether they play or not would depend on if he gets a new contract and realistically we need Given/Keane/Duff/Dunne/O'Shea around for it, a new manager may force many of their hands into retirements which would not be in our immediate interests and force the dreaded "transition period" phrase to be uttered, appointing a new manager would essentially be forfeiting the World Cup qualifiers if that were to happen.

Give Trap 2 years, the "golden era" folk will retire and then we'll be in a period of major transition. Thats the time for a new face.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    If we go down in flames on Tuesday who will the FAI look to next?
    If they're dumb enough to think they can do better than the current setup on their budget and with chumps like Andrews/Whelan/Ward being amongst our best available then logically Don Givens would be their dream selection.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post

Reading too much into it, he was an employee under Trapatoni and part of the team involved of creating that system and uncovering many of the players hes analysing. He's just not in a position to be critical of them because most of the criticisms directed at the squad were problems present while he was there. It'd first of all be disrespectful to people he'd worked with and secondly embarrassing for himself to complain about problems present while it was his job to correct them as they would be an admittance of failure on his part.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    The opposing manager tonight (on a fraction of what Trap is on) might take it. Advocat if offered the right terms would definetely take it. Right terms meaning a boatload of dosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    In the Slovakia match thread, greendeiseboy claims he was texted after the game by someone with a contact high up within the FAI - I'm guessing a relation of John Delaney - saying that Rafa Benitez would be our next manager if we fail to qualify for Euro 2012.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast