Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The next Ireland manager?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    It won't be MO'N and as a Celtic fan, ultimately it has to be said that his teams, whilst successful didn't play the greatest football. Realistically he'd be looking for a big EPL job, though linked with a lucrative move to Oman and a bigger payday than even they could manage?

Hughton & Coyle would be both good choices but possibly would be looking for a bigger stage in the club game first?

Tardelli I can see reluctantly (as Trap 'Light' with possibly equally dull tactics?), but Brady would be a waste of time;he's too nice. Which is why he never made it as a club manager. Even Pat Rice would make more sense.

Coppell claims he's retired from football, whilst Allardyce, thanks but no.
    He's an idiot who does make MO'N look like a genius. We have plenty of our own like that already!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post

Coppell claims he's retired from football, whilst Allardyce, thanks but no.
    Cops has said he is burnt out but after the likes of Palace and Reading and what not, always with clubs worrying about the money all the time who wouldn't be? He has also had depression issues so he will fit right in. But seriously, He was a tireless worker as a player and what is better than managing Ireland to get the blood flowing? Literally every goal means so much. Also in his spare time HE WOULD BE IN ENGLAND WATCHING OUR PLAYERS IN PERSON. And that my friends, is no small thing.
    Stevie Coppell for next manager I say.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I think Martin O'Neill would last as long as it took for the next Premiership position to become available. We'd be in a similar situation to Scotland under McLeish (left to take over Birmingham in the Championship) and Walter Smith (left to take over a struggling Rangers side)
    It seems he's not even prepared to wait that long - according to the Mirror and the D.Mail, he's all set to join Saudi club Al-Hilal, on a 2 year contract worth £4.5m, tax free.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle614071.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-Al-Hilal.html

Can't see the attraction, myself...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Of the rag that's The Daily Mail, no.

Though MO'N could then afford to take any other job that came his way....

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post

Tardelli I can see reluctantly (as Trap 'Light' with possibly equally dull tactics?), but Brady would be a waste of time;he's too nice. Which is why he never made it as a club manager. Even Pat Rice would make more sense.
    !
    Just that, not the rubbish tactics or an inability to get his players do play anything resembling decent football

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    If the last search thought us anything, its that anyone in the frame that was remotely suitable - didn't want the job.

We were actually blessed to get Trapp at the end of that process.

Many of us identified the need for informal approaches to be made to Managers we were interested in, even it means Trapp may well be still in the job when approaches are made.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    What's the likelihood of Trap staying on to the 2014 WC, do people reckon. I remember him saying something along the lines of it was his 'dream' to take Ireland to Brazil. I've heard nothing of the sort since.
    Personally, right now I'd be delighted about that. I remember the protracted and agonising wait for a manager after the holocaust that was Staunton's tenure, with jokers like Venebles, Houllier and even Troussier being tipped. We could only have dreamed of a manager like Trap back then. I even recall Paul Jewel being named in some quarters as the outstanding candidate before he ruled himself out. I dread the day when we go back to all that craic.
    Although if I did have to suggest a name, it would be Chris Hughton.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    England's the only international job O'Neill would be interested in. Coppell has retired as far as I know (lost his passion he says) and Ireland's unlikely to set his heart racing.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Hughton's the obvious ideal choice if Trap's heart can't take any more of the inevitable agonising tension that comes with watching our national team but cant see him being interested while he's doing well with newcastle, fact is he's got a higher status job with a big premiership club. How about that fella who's managing Celtic now? I'm sure he's be up for it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
    Hughton's the obvious ideal choice if Trap's heart can't take any more of the inevitable agonising tension that comes with watching our national team but cant see him being interested while he's doing well with newcastle, fact is he's got a higher status job with a big premiership club. How about that fella who's managing Celtic now? I'm sure he's be up for it!
    Neil Lennon for Ireland!!!??

Back! Back I say!!!
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 27/10/2010 at 7:45 PM.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    [QUOTE=EalingGreen;1416891]It seems he's not even prepared to wait that long - according to the Mirror and the D.Mail, he's all set to join Saudi club Al-Hilal, on a 2 year contract worth £4.5m, tax free.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle614071.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-Al-Hilal.html

Eric Gerets just left them and is seen as a hero, so they need to get another high profile boss in.

I think Tony O'Reilly can do the job. He's adept at running big business, was a top sportsman himself and he'd do it for free. Plus he'd get all the feedback on players from journos who work for him and we'd have an absolutely super duper team, as long as they play in the sky leagues, an english speaking country (except Ireland of course) and most importantly give good copy. Plus they'd always play brilliantly, get rave reviews from Indo and related papers, while Johnny Giles and Richie Sadlier would make sure to say good things at all times. Can't do better than that guys!

13. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I think Tony O'Reilly can do the job. He's adept at running big business, was a top sportsman himself and he'd do it for free.
    Yet somehow I can still envision John Delaney going to Denis O'Brien and asking him to stump up...

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Lennon, thanks but no. He'll not ever be a top manager, though love his passion.

And if Newcastle don't pick up soon, Hughton might yet be pitting his wits up against Sean O'Driscoll again soon, which is where the thread comes full circle??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Rumour this morning after Newcastles 4-0 defeat to Arsenal, that Chris might well be on the lookout for a new job very soon.......
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Rumour this morning after Newcastles 4-0 defeat to Arsenal, that Chris might well be on the lookout for a new job very soon.......
    Ya heard that on Sky last night, what are Newcastle like??!?! They get a decent successful manager and a bit of stability but always want to fcuk it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Mad as the Newcastle board tend to be, I think they'll have been expecting a thrashing at Arsenal playing an understrength team like that. Result was very unfair on them I thought and the scandalous second goal more of less killed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    As much as it'd be nice, can't see Hughton, Coyle or O'Neill being interested. They've too much potential as club managers or are too young. Meanwhile Coppell's too much of a flake, he'd be out the door after a fortnight.

I actually wouldn't mind Tardelli. Patchy enough managerial history, but he appears to be the Trap's motivating right hand man as well as his chief eyes on the ground - he probably knows more about the players than Trap does. I could see him wanting to put his own stamp on the team too.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I think managers in their twilight of their career can see the benefit. Jack has had so many promotional deals over the years and still gets them, he wants for nothing. If you're succesful with the irish team, and don't create a Saipan saga, there are massive benefits.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    I think managers in their twilight of their career can see the benefit. Jack has had so many promotional deals over the years and still gets them, he wants for nothing. If you're succesful with the irish team, and don't create a Saipan saga, there are massive benefits.
    I'd say that you would'nt do too bad even if you created/were involved in a Saipan saga. You would have had to get to a major tournament to have such a saga !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    First time looking in at this thread, and while I think it's still a bit out of line just yet, it's no harm identifying some potential targets. Having said that the next 8 months will dictate whether Trap stays or goes, and to an extent it will also have an effect on Tardelli's chances too.
    From the moment Trap took the job on with Tardelli as #2, I held the belief Marco would be the heir to the throne after the WC2010 campaign. I still think he's top of the queue at the moment, his English has got better, and I like him. However, he needs to have a word in Trap's shell about the type of football we're playing and the composition of the squad, because there is a sense now that the management (and Tardelli is included in this) are not aware of all the options open to them, or if they are, they are starting to make risky judgement calls.

Of the potential candidates mentioned here? I cannot understand the clamour for O'Neill. I just can't. Would Irish fans cack themselves for him if he hadn't managed Celtic? Strachan's record there stands up against him up there and I guess there won't be a stampede for the little ginger to take over from Trap. Plus his "record" at Villa, for the money spent, wasn't superb at all. As it stands I think in this decade we'll actually have the players to play a more composed possession based game, and consequently I wouldn't be too eager for O'Neill to take over.

Allardyce? Mwhahahahahahaahahaha. That reminds me of the bit in Se7en where Morgan Freeman is in Pitt & Paltrow's apartment when he just bursts into hysterical laughter.
    Anywho.....
    Lennon - why? In 18 months time there will be better, more experienced, more suitable candidates than him floating around. Sure hasn't he failed all the big tests so far anyway

Chris Hughton is someone I have a huge admiration for. He didn't seem to come out of Kerr's tenure too tainted, and has done a decent job at Newcastle so far. I would be very happy to see him part of a management team in the future.

Owen Coyle seems very practical, very honest, and tries to play good football. Very committed and is very eager to trust the young players.
    Keane and McCarthy I'd say no to both now, and I would think it would too divisive if we went back down that road. I don't necessarily think we need to do it either. There are plenty of decent managers out there, it's about time the FAI starting selling the team properly when on the hunt for managers. We'll never attract the Capello's or Ancelloti's in their prime, but then again those guys wouldn't be the type I'd be aiming for anyway.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast