Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: A Fans Perspective by Denise McCaffrey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

A Fans Perspective by Denise McCaffrey

It’s 12.20am and I’ve finally settled after the longest ever journey home from Galway (so ignore the bad literacy, I‘m tired and bleary-eyed), but as this is Monaghan United’s 25th year in senior football, I want to give my perspective on this season. I haven’t been on this earth for 25years yet but I’m gonna speak from my experience. While everyone is focusing on the gutting match at Mervue and the potentially devastating end to the season, I just want to say thanks and much respect to what has been the greatest season in my 8years of religiously supporting this club.

If someone had’ve told me in March that we would’ve been in this situation come October, I probably wouldn’t have believed them. Seriously.. Just think back on the season we just had and tell me that wasn’t amazing!!! Amazing nights in Limerick, at the Brandywell, Athlone, the 1st two away matches in Cork, home to Waterford, beating Dundalk, actually there are just too many great nights to talk about and I haven’t even mentioned the CUP FINAL!!! All epic nights! There has been so much joy this season. And even though I shed a few tears in the stands of Terryland Park tonight, in retrospect I’m happy. All I can say is it’s a VERY long shot from my days of going to Cobh and seeing Mons lose 8-1, Losing at Rockmount, losing in Skerries….so many massive defeats and so many long journeys, so I really cannot complain about this season.

I never missed a match nor gave up hope then in those more depressing days as I stood every week as a wee girl high-fiving the players coming off the pitch like they were heroes (even though it was usually after they lose!), and I certainly will not stop now!
    Respect and credit to Mick Cooke, who is just such a great man and a fantastic manager. His commitment, patience and dedication to this club has been unbeatable and I hope it continues for quite a few seasons more. His achievements with this team this year are remarkable.

Respect and credit to the squad this year. Nobody can question the work and commitment from these guys this year. Every week I’ve seen them play and thanks to them I got spoilt with happy results this year… something I wasn’t always used to in the 8years of support! And I think we easily could’ve had a bit more representation in the 1st division team of the year (Byrne and Sava). I have great respect for the work and effort each player in the squad put in this year.

And great respect and credit to Jim McGlone, and everyone who works at the club. The developments since I have been involved in the club are outstanding and all due to you. There has been so many developments on and off the pitch and each year the results of this has shown on the pitch as things just keep getting better.

Respect and credit to the supporters who me and Dad see at not only home matches but the new Road-trippers that have joined us this season, Away matches have been a lot less lonely for us this year!
    Anyway, I just wanted to look at the bright side of the season. Yep it’s gone downhill in the last few matches but of course Mons have had 10 more matches on top of the league this year so I’m sure it’s been tiring on them. I hope after the Derry game we all have something to smile about again!! But if not - well I’ve seen the club doing better and better ever year, so there’s always next year!

Denise McCaffrey

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    good piece by denise....top drawer..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Yup for a young one she knows how we feel well and words it from the heart. She is only 20 and its great to see that she is so dedicated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    What was the realistic ambition for the club pre-season?

Still memories..
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Play offs. But we knew with derry and cork down in first division it would be a big ask. So its still a great season no matter what happens Saturday but will still be heartbroken if we fall short of play offs coz we worked dam hard all season.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    where did denises writing come from? ie was it in the local press?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    No, she emailed it to me and I asked her if I could post it here and she said yes.

9. Thanks From: