Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glentoran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Happy to rendez-vous here in 20 years time, if I'm still breathing. However, I doubt it will be that long before we have some examples of transnational league structures in Europe.
    The fact you actually seem to believe this shows how little you actually understand about FIFA or World Football in General.
    When will you understand that FIFA will never ever permit this.
    This is honestly not meant to be a stupid question, but what exactly is wrong with a model that would raise the standard of Irish soccer enable us to halt the compulsory emigration of footballing talent and improve our international prospects?
    But it wouldnt be Irish "soccer" it would be Ireland, Wales and Scottish football.
    And that is just an absolute joke, tbh what the rugger bandwagoners did with the Magners League is a joke in my eyes.
    I actually cant take it seriously, much like how we only seem to have 4 teams in Ireland.
    When we start mimicking the rugger bandwagoners it is time to worry.
    Ok I understand your alternative, that teams spend within their budgets, but are you suggesting that this is going to bring back the halcyon days of Cork City v Cork Hibs?
    No of course not but it will mean that clubs dont go all boom bust and we have a sustainable league that doesnt over reach itself.
    Can I also spell out the rather obvious irony, that niether of these clubs exist anymore.
    I dont see that point remotely ironic tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Generally speaking Steve, its people who don't have any interest in the clubs that try and think up fanciful arrangements they know will never happen so they can use it as an excuse not to attend games

Most fans of irish football clubs (north & south) just get on with supporting their teams
    Pretty much, every so often you get blowin barstoolers who figure they have cracked the riddle of why Irish Football is relatively badly supported and give their magic cure here like it is from the lips of Jesus Christ himself.
    When it is inevitably rubbuished they go back to supporting Merchandise Mc United from the barstool and continue to show the same indifference they originally had for the LoI.
    Quite ironic the whole charade.

3. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Unless the man is seriously deluded, or has been drinking, Glens' Chairman Aubry Ralph seems pretty confident that the club will not be wound up by the Revenue next week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...sh/9244793.stm
    Page last updated at 20:07 GMT, Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Ralph confident Glentoran will survive tax bill crisis

Glentoran chief Aubry Ralph says he is confident they will avert a winding-up order being issued against them.

The debt-ridden Irish Premiership club are believed to owe the taxman between £250,000 and £300,000.

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs have made a court application to have the east Belfast-based Glens wound up.

"With the help of all our creditors, I think we will be safe enough. We are well on the way to where we need to be," said Ralph.

"We are positive about the situation and are working on a lot of things."

UK-based posters can also access in the above link the video of the interview with Ralph on which that report was based. His tone was very relaxed and measured.

In fact, had he and his fellow Directors not been responsible for getting the club into the mess in the first place, I'd almost be reassured myself.

But as it is, I'll wait until I hear it directly from the Revenue before I believe it.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    It's not long ago that Coleraine were in the same boat and they, with a bit of ducking and diving in the mean time, are still turning out on Saturday afternoons. Glentoran will get through this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12