Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chelski - St Pat'ski link up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool Chelski - St Pat'ski link up

Red Rom link-up at Richmond Park from the IRISH SUN

St Pat's are to have secret talks in London next week about becoming a feeder club for Chelsea.

The ambitious plans will go ahead despite yesterday's shock resignation by manager EC.

Representatives from the Inchicore club are due to meet chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon on Tuesday to dicuss a link up.

While Collins has left the Richmond Park hot seat he has not completely cut jis ties with St Pats and is prepared to help to facilitate a deal after initiating contact between the clubs.

Collins said: "I think it is a viable option for St Pat's to be a feeder club for a top premiership club because of our proximity to England and hopefully something can happen"

Collins was introduced to Kenyon by close friend and Monaco-based agent Mike Morris.

Morris has links with the elite sports agency headed by Jason Ferguson son of Alex.

Morris worked closely with Kenyon when he was chief-executive at Manchester United. He was involved in the deals to take Tim Howard and David Bellion to Old Trafford.

While money is apparently no object for Roman Abramovich, Kenyon wants the club to have strong foundations in case the Russian benefactor in case the Russian benefactor pulls the plug on his investment. And Kenyon
    is open to the idea of forming an alliance with a club in another country.

It would give them first pick on any young talent to emerge at Pat's but with several other benefits to boot.

Irelands work permit rules are less stringent than in England which would mean that young foreign players who did no qualify for a visa could be loaned to the eircom League club.

Aresenal and United already have similar agreements with Belgian clubs Beveren and Royal Antwerp respectively.

Those alliances also allow them to send young or fringe players on loan to gain experience. Graham Stack spent time with Beveren and John O'Shea at Antwerp.

United have also had tie-in with Shelbourne but that is primarily with the lcubs schoolboy section. Kyle Moran moved to the Premiership gaints from $hels last year but there was unhappiness at Old Trafford when top target Anthony Stokes joined Arsenal.

St Pat's are hoping to have an even-closer relationship with Chelsea. Aside from lucrative games against the West London club, they also hope to benefit from their commercial and marketing expertise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

I suppose if you cant stand on your own two feet like !!!

I know we were linked but i am glad that is gone now.

eL should be moving on from this kind of thing.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

GavinZac
    a fvcking disgrace to the league, they might as well wave the white flag with "watch the premiership" written on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A few years back I'd probably have taken a much dimmer view of this just on principle alone, but the way our finances are at the moment, we've got to be pragmatic and at least hear what's on the table (if anything). Beggars can't be choosers and we most certainly are beggars at the moment
    Revenge for 2002

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    If it benefits the club here, i.e. loan players, then I don't think it's as big an issue as the previous tie up's that were all take and no give from the English clubs.

I've been opposed to this type of thing before, however on reflection, if going to Pats is an extension of going to Chelsea everyone's a winner. The kid gets the training at Pats, the top one's still ultimately go to England, the one's that are decent but not exceptional don't come back at 19/20 totally píssed off with football - they stay in our league, Chelsea still get the pick of the best. Depends on the structures really.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Depends on the structures really.
    Most important point. Typerical hysterical response from GavinZac above... All we know is that the Pats chairman is having a meeting with the Chelsea chief executive this week. The 'papers are suggesting its a link up, it might not be. We'll see whats proposed before launching into any campaigns...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'm sure we've all slagged Shel$ off for their sellout but interesting to see changed attitudes now.

Suppose Pats would be the real winners here as Chelsea have so much cash they'll probably never take young players anyway as will just buy ready made players.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Leicester anyone? Or is that airbrushed from history pete? The Shels deal is still a bad deal, if it's done properly there's no reason why it can't work for both clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    My guess at how Chelsea benefit. Chelsea scouts see hugely talented 18 cameroonian/Nigerian/Ghanain... They can't get a work permit in England due to PFA restrictions (player must be senior international playing 75% of games, no previous european experience etc...) Chelsea turf him out to Ireland as irish football has no restrictions on work permits. Plays one year in Ireland, Chelsea get a further look at him and if he's good enough they'll apply for a workpermit on the basis of his european experience and possible international games. Arsenal do it at beveren, Man utd do it at Antwerp. Chelsea pay (in their world) peanuts to Pats.

Pats receive (in our world) substantial funding, the loan of better quality players and maybe some coaching/marketing help.

The Shels/man utd deal and the proposed Leicester/Cork deal were bith **** and still are.
    ---

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've been against these stupid link ups from the start and see no reason to change my mind. they might be beneficial in some ways but how can anyone respect a club who sees sending its good players to another club on a prodcution line as the height of its ambitions At least city had the good sense to throw the leicester thing out the window, even if it did take a while.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Leicester anyone? Or is that airbrushed from history pete? The Shels deal is still a bad deal, if it's done properly there's no reason why it can't work for both clubs.
    All i can think of is rugby when Leicester mentioned... Memory not so good these days...

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    I've been against these stupid link ups from the start and see no reason to change my mind. they might be beneficial in some ways but how can anyone respect a club who sees sending its good players to another club on a prodcution line as the height of its ambitions At least city had the good sense to throw the leicester thing out the window, even if it did take a while.
    And if it keeps young players in Ireland, at eL clubs in the process of the exceptional ones going? The biggest talent problem we have as a league is players coming home disillusioned and not interested. If the link ups are structured in away so that players stayed here till they were 18 (say) and then the English club had the pick, it's surely better than the kids going over at 15 and being finished at 20? It's all about how it's structured, and if it's done right it could be of huge benefit for the league long term. The numbers that come back to the league out of the numbers that headed over is miniscule.

Previously I probably would've shared your views, but one of the missus' first cousins has just been released from a Premiership Club. Dreams, Career everything shattered - playing pub football now, when he could probably do a job for a team in the eL.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge

Pats receive (in our world) substantial funding, the loan of better quality players and maybe some coaching/marketing help.

I think its chelsea who could do with the coaching help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I agree with Macy, it all depends on how well it's structured, the leicester deal with City was basically 'rob our manager, then Damien Delaney and give nothing back, ever'. That kind of set-up does nobody any favours whatsoever.

If it's run properly it can be of advantage to both clubs, Dodge is dead right in his comparison to United's deal with Royal Antwerp, they currently have a very promising Chinese youngster there for exactly the reason mentioned.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah it really works for royal antwerp!

latest table

Belgium 2003/04

Table:

1.RSC Anderlecht 33 25 5 3 76-26 80 Champions
    2.Club Brugge KV 33 21 6 6 74-31 69 CL Qualifying
    3.Standard CL (Liège) 33 17 11 5 66-30 62
    4.Excelsior Mouscron 33 15 13 5 63-41 58
    5.KRC Genk 33 16 8 9 55-38 56
    6.VC Westerlo 33 14 9 10 50-44 51
    7.Germinal Beerschot Antwerpen 33 11 11 11 33-38 44
    8.AA Louviéroise 33 10 13 10 44-45 43
    9.Lierse SK 33 8 15 10 33-37 39 [-]
    10.Sporting Lokeren SNW 33 10 8 15 44-53 38
    11.Sint Truidense VV 33 9 11 13 36-48 38
    12.RAA Gent 33 7 16 10 31-34 37
    13.SK Beveren Waas 33 10 5 18 40-56 35
    14.Cercle Brugge KSV 33 7 13 13 27-51 34
    15.RAEC Mons 33 7 12 14 29-51 33
    16.Sporting du Pays de Charleroi 33 7 9 17 34-47 30
    -------------------------------------------------------
    17.K Heusden-Zolder 33 7 7 19 34-65 28[*]
    18.Royal Antwerp FC 33 7 6 20 28-62 27

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    its an interesting one all right - attitudes have changed and if honest most of us at all clubs envy the way shels get a cash injection and a high profile corporate speaker in Sir Alex over and than charge a few grand a table - knock it all you will but just remember the next time Jason Byrne or Glen Fitzpatrick knock a goal past your team that deals like the manunited link up generate the readies to pay for quality like that - people slag shels for poor crowds but dont realise its all the spin off deals that they do which actually generate the real bucks for making a title winning team - they'll never have fans but they'll always be number 1 on the money side precisely because of shrewd business deals

I doubt if we'd ever produce a player good enough for chelsea - seeing as the way theyre going, england itself will soon be unable to produce a young player good enough for such a mega spending team

kenyon is just casting his net out and doing all the little bits and bobs that mega clubs do - its a wekks business for him - just another deal in the building of a mega football empire -for pats it could potentially save us (if true)

best not to read to much into it either way though unless something was actully announced!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    And if it keeps young players in Ireland, at eL clubs in the process of the exceptional ones going?
    I agree with the rest of your post, but the above just isn't the case. When Damien Delaney left City, went to Leicester and made his debut at old trafford, that should have pointed a lot of kids in the direction of city and it didn't. they're still going over.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I agree with the rest of your post, but the above just isn't the case. When Damien Delaney left City, went to Leicester and made his debut at old trafford, that should have pointed a lot of kids in the direction of city and it didn't. they're still going over.
    Exactly, because the structures aren't in place! At the moment we can't compete with the coaching set up's. If we did, with education to go with it, then there would be a chance that this situation would change. You could point at Roy Keane or Paul McGrath too, but that never changed the situation either...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yeah, but I don't see how linking up with premiership clubs will imrpove coaching. leicester muttered something about coaching exchanges, but to the best of my knowledge that never happened. the only way things will change is if the infrastructure is improved and licensing is fully implemented- thats the first step.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah, but I don't see how linking up with premiership clubs will imrpove coaching. leicester muttered something about coaching exchanges, but to the best of my knowledge that never happened. the only way things will change is if the infrastructure is improved and licensing is fully implemented- thats the first step.
    it'll improve coaching if they fund the money to pay for coaches, for facilities etc...

Not bringing coaches over for one off sessions with kids but paying money for all a clubs coaches to be as highly qualified as possible...
    ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast