Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q&A with referee Alan Kelly on Foot.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by max power
    have you ever seen a baby pigeon ???
    yeah I have, oul fella use to race them (fully grown ones obviously)

they look disgusting as babies though thats all I'll say on the matter! its no wonder they keep a low profile!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why is it that some of the more "experienced" players should be allowed to influence the refs decisions. This is common to Eddie Gormley where he constantly lives in the officials ear but continually gets away with it without so much as a word of warning or booking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sniffa
    Why is it that some of the more "experienced" players should be allowed to influence the refs decisions. This is common to Eddie Gormley where he constantly lives in the officials ear but continually gets away with it without so much as a word of warning or booking.
    Eddie suspended twice last season and has been booked already this year

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    any more questions folks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    1. Given recent events and the publicity surrounding them, have you ever felt physically threatened at an EL game?
    2. Have the media ever asked you to comment on decisions after the game, and if yes, were you happy to oblige?
    3. Do you feel financially rewarded for the travelling and time you put in?
    4. Do you watch EL weekly? Ever feel like answering critiscism of refs?
    5. Are there referees who you particularly admire, and do you find yourself studying them while you watch football games they're involved in?
    6. Who was the first person to tell you after the FAI cup final that Longford's second goal was offside? (honestly ref, that's not having a go, it's just that no one at the game, players, officials or commentators seemed to pick up on it, and it was blatant)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last Q

What is the major difference between refereeing an EL match and an officially sanctioned FIFA / UEFA match?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I got Alan Kelly's answers to your questions this morning. I'll type them up tonight/tomorrow. They're 21 A4 pages long.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i hope the baby pigeon issue was addressed.........
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref
    I They're 21 A4 pages long.
    he talks a bit then?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref
    They're 21 A4 pages long.
    Jeezuss. Fair play though. Got to say that Alan is one of the best refs in the eL, not too hard i know, but it's good to see him taking an active role to improve relations and forge some kind of understading between fans and refs.

THANKS ALAN.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    (this is Ref registered as Alan Kelly,i typed up what he wrote in response to your questions, answers will folloow over the course of the next few days)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Da Gull
    I'd like to know if ref's
    ;feel reluctant to give more than 1 peno to the same team in 1 match, allso is there any time in a match where a ref is reluctant to give a peno (exmpl- right before HT, straight after a goal is scored, when a teams players are giving you heat etc...etc)?

:If you see what you think is a stone-wall peno but the lines-person flags you and tells you that it was a clear-cut dive- what do u do?

:If 1 player is continuassly winning free's do u become reluctant to give him a free or call it as u see it (does the players reputation count)?

:Are u personally more reluctant to book team Captains?

:If you are booking a player in a heated match and he's cracking a few joke's with you do ya have a laugh or keep it serious?

: If you have a bad game and perhaps cost team points, will you favour the unlucky team more next time you ref a match between the two?

: (finally.... Is there a ground you hate reffing in... or should I say is there a crowd in the country with the most hostile attitude towards ref's)?
    No. in my opinion if you see a penalty you gve a penalty. One of my own experiences in an eL game was to give 3 penalties to the away team in a game. If we see it we give it irrespective of what time it is during a match.

If it's a stonewall penalty then why consult the assistant? But should a referee have to consult his assistant and the assistant sasys it was a dive the referee will probably overrule him if he is in a better position.

Player's so called reputations never come into it. If we see an offnce then we give it no matter who the player is.

No. Team captains receive no special privileges when it comes to match decisions.

When a player is being cautioned (booked) the message from the referee to the player is basically to make sure that he/she has been disciplined or run the risk of being sent off.

Every referee will have a different way of addressing players either by word or by his actions. I would encourage all referees to communicate as much as possible with players.

Absolutely not! I cannot be more forceful than that!

I think every referee has a venue that seems to come back and haunt him and I'm no different!!!

Thanks for your questions, hope I'm able to give you more of an insight into refereeing.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    This one is more about refs behaviour than them refing a game.

1. Hypothetical situation.

If a ref, has words with a player like "So you think you are the big man, .... i'll show you who is the big man alright" and more words to that effect throughout a game and the members of the crowd actually hear it / witness it.

Is there anything can be done about this ..... if that were to happen in an eL game, is there anything that interested parties (players, club, fans, just about everyone really) can do about this ...... my question really is, ... Is the a procedure to deal with such an event if it actually happened. It there anything interested parties can do to eradicate this kind of behaviour.

2. Are the FAI doing anything to recruit more refs from the more regional areas, i.e. not Dublin. I know the majority of refs that come forward are from Dublin but that answer isn't a solution to the problem. Can something be done to make up the shortfall? Can regional areas be targeted more specifically to help resolve the problem?

3. Are Refs / Linesmen / Fourth Officials ever given the opportunity to comment on their peers work? Is there any sort of forum for them to criticize / praise work for their peers

4. Are Refs given the opportunity to discuss their work and analyse their faults / strengths of their game with the assistance of video of their games?

5. How do you think the process for appealing of a decision by players / managers / staff etc. works in the eircom League ? Do you think that it is successful ?
    It being the only opportunity (that I know of anyway) for the officials to discuss and conclude on the decisions that are made with players / managers, do you think this process is being used to it optimum?
    1. I'm not sure if something can be done or not. A referee should treat every player with the same respect that he/she would expect from a player. Foul language should never be used by a referee when addressing a player.

2. very good question, and thhe answer is yes they are. The FAI have a full time recruitment officer employed and his name is Darren Coombes. Darren looks after beginner courses that are held all over the country at different times of the year. Details can be found on Aertel page 220, on the FAI website fai.ie in the development section, and the Irish Soccer Referees Society website irishreferees.com. The referees department phone number is 01-7037535.

I believe there is an ever growing need to encourage more young people both male and female to take up the whistle.

3&4. referees have a very honest and open relationship amongst themselves. At eL level we have seminars 3 or 4 times a year throughout the country. Our National Seminar is held over a weekend period in the University of Limerick. At those seminars match incidents and potential match situations are discussed and the aim is to get more uniformity among the panel. The refereeing team on matchday will always discuss the game among themselves and the appointed match assessor.

5. From grass roots football all the way to international football you're going to have players and managers appeal for decisions, it's only natural. We can't stop a player from appealing, but if it becomes persistent and is a becoming a problem we have to address it.

Personally, I never like when a player says you only gave the decision "on the call". That's the way it works, I assure you.

Thanks for your questions.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    National League United broke the ice with referees a few years back when Declan Hanney addressed one of the forums. He went into detail about the interpretations EL referees are expected to use regarding offside .

It was a breath of fresh air for both parties. And the Referees Society have been keen to engage in this type of dialogue ever since.

Well done getting Alan to participate. The younger officials are more willing to engage in this type of discussion than some of their predecessors .
    Thank you for your comments. I think a better relationship would exist between all parties (the league, clubs, managers, players, referees, supporters, and the media) if somebody took the initiative and brought all groups together.

I attended some Eircom League forums around the country a couple of years ago but the structure of the forums wasn't quite right.

Maybe something along those lines but with more organisation all round.

(the rest of the answers will follow in the next two to three days, when i get a chance to type up Alan's responses. Ref.)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    Ask Him - Cant res use the advantage rule more? Too many frees. If a player needs to be booked he can to that after the play has broken down.
    If the game is very high tempo and the tackles are flying in, then its better to stop the game and speak to or caution the player.

If the game is a normal paced game then I agree with you, play the advantage and then come back to speak to or caution the player.

When playing advantage, it's not just enough to be in possession of the ball, a positive advantage i.e. promising situation must be there for the offended team.

Fair point - thanks.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda M
    i think its silly how refs like yourself and anthony buttimer are not allowed to ref cork city games considering any time we play a dublin team the ref is from dublin.what do you think??

This is a recurring topic of conversation. I think if you look at the number of Dublin clubs in the League and compare it with to the number of Dublin based referees on the panel, then it is inevitable that Dublin based referees ref Dublin teams.

It's a disadvantage of having only 22 clubs. In a city like Cork where you have one team in the Premier Division it would be very difficult not to mention unfair on a referee who lives in that city to referee their games. He/she is in a no win situation I think you'll agree.

It's a problem that will always be there. At the moment most of our referees are in either Cork, Dublin, the Midlands, Waterford and Limerick.

Hope I've made some sense Enda but something tells me that you may have heard this already.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Footie_Fan
    Questions:

When did you start refereeing?
    What league was it in?
    How did you move up the leagues?
    When you did schoolboy football how did you deal with aggressive managers/parents, considering there was no stand to send them to?
    Do you think teams should be docked points for serious abuse of an official?

Thanks

I think Footie Fan may be a referee or have refereeing links because he/she is asking all the right questions!

I began refereeing in 1994 in the Cork Schoolboys League. I moved up the leagues by applying myself properly to games, training, showing potential and performing well in matches.

How did you know I refereed schoolboy football?? It's a very good question. Fortunately from what I can remember I didn't have reason to dismiss any managers. Society has changed since then and when I attend under age matches (which is regularly enough) I see a huge change in managers, parents and players mentalities. A win at all costs mentaltity seems to be the order of the day with managers while parents want their son to be the new Roy Keane or David Beckham. That's not a bad thing but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. I think adults need to be more responsible and leed by example on match days.

I am aware that these adults give up their spare time to help out clubs so maybe a happy medium needs to be found.

I think abuse of referees has been very much highlighted recently. It's a big problem at underage and junior level also. No matter how bad or good a referees performance is he/she should never be subjected to physical abuse.

As for clubs being deducted points that's not for me to say, but I'm sure the governing leagues are well capable of tackling the issue.

Again I feel if leagues, clubs, referees and maybe the FAI work together, the problem of physical abuse can be eradicated.

Thanks for the questions.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC
    What changes would you make to the laws of the game if you could?

Have you ever given a free-kick against the keeper for holding the ball for more than 6 seconds?

Should Refs from other leagues be brought in to take charge of big games like what used to happen in the 70's?
    Great question - changes to the Laws of the Game? I think maybe if something could be done with the offside rule. Maybe if a player could only be offside within 25 metres of goal? Bringing the ball forward 10 metres should players dissent, once the kick taker agrees. Just some thoughts.

Re goalkeeper and six seconds, yes I have.

I think refs were brought in for FAI cup games in the 60s and early 70s. I don't think it should happen for a couple of reasons. Cost is one but that's a minor reason. The major reason is that it will stifle development of younger referees on the panel. There are too few games on a weekly basis already.

Also no matter what referees would come in, supporters and players and managers will still disagree with decisions that they make. It wouldn't be football otherwise. Anyway we have some very good referees in the EL already.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suetrol Ned
    Where do you get your hair done?
    What a relevant question….

I get it 'cut' in a salon called 'The Edge' (free plug) on Lavitts Quay in Cork. Ann-Marie usually looks after it and I'm sure she'll be happy to know that her work has been noticed by Eircom League fans.

If you like I can get you an appointment.

Cheers for the question Seutrol Ned.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monutdfc
    Well done. Hope the questions don't put him off!

I have a question about the 'new' implementation of the offside rule. There appears (to me anyway!) to be an inconsistency in its application. I'll try an describe a situation: 2 attacking players break forward, one from an offside position and the other from an onside position. The player who receives the pass is the one who was ONside, but the player in the offside position continues his run. Some assistant referees will flag immediately, others will not, unless the player who was OFFside subsequently receives the ball. (In my opinion, if the offside player continues his run then he is automatically interfering with play because a defender will move to cover him, thus taking that defender out of the game.)
    This is being inconsistently applied by assistant referees and makes it very difficult for players (defenders). To make things worse, sometimes the referee will over-rule the assistant referee when they put their flag up and wave play on.
    If you look at the Laws of the Game, Rule 11 Offside only has half a page dedicated to it, the least amount of page space of all the laws, yet it causes the most confusion.

To answer your question, the player who receives the ball is onside. Unfortunately for the defending team the other player is now irrelevant as far as the referee and assistant referee are concerned according to the new interpretation of the law because he/she is not deemed to be ACTIVE. A player is only deemed to be active if the ball practically touches him/her. That's no consolation for defenders… or their supporters.

The majority of law changes over the past couple of years have been introduced to benefit the attacker and make football a more attractive sport…no consolation for referees or assistant referees. We are there to implement these laws to the best of our ability. It can be frustrating at times I agree.

How do we make supporters more aware of law changes? Maybe the media should introduce a refereeing person to give the correct interpretation rather than the so called 'pundits'?

Hope the answer is satisfactory….cheers.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    1) Are linesman instructed not to tell the referee if they see something (i.e. foul when they've a better angle, off the ball incidents etc). We rarely see them put up their flag for anything other than offsides and throw ins, when they must see other incidents. They rarely consult with the referee, so is that the ref not wanting them too, or the linesman not wanting the hassle? (it's gotta be one of the most frustrating things about the officials)

2) Do the officials realise that it's when the ball is played for offside?

3) Do they let players reputations cloud their judgement? It seems to me players with "history" don't get a fair deal.

4) Who assesses the officials? Is it someone independent and with "teeth" or is it part of their gang?

5) Why are walls never made to stay the required distance back, and why are free kicks never made to be retaken when someone charges down the free kick before the ball is played?
    1 - Macy, what I'll say to your first question is that it's very easy as a spectator to spot the "off the ball" incidents while sitting in the stand. Referees and assistant referees are concentrated on whats going on on the field of play. Their focus the majority of the time is on the ball. If we miss an "off the ball" incident it's because we didn't see it not because we chose not to see it.

2 - So called reputations don't come into a refs way of thinking. We don't refer to any player as a player with a reputation or with 'history'.

3 - Games are assessed by Referees Assessors. The majority of the assessors have refereed at EL level which is important. I'm sorry to inform you that we don't have a 'gang'…..and I have inspected too many of them up close so I presume they all have a full set of dentures!

Thanks for the questions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast