Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Slovakia V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 12th October 2010 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

Slovakia V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 12th October 2010 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

May as well start it now
    Doyle out of the game according to rte.ie: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1010/doyle.html

It's entirely possible we could start the game with Fahey on the left, and McGeady playing behind Keane.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 10/10/2010 at 12:13 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

It's entirely possible we could start the game with Fahey on the left, and McGeady playing behind Keane.
    Not if they're goin to continue to employ 'hoof the ball up the pitch' tactics!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I have a feeling he has been carrying that injury for awhile. He looked unable to get up off the ground on Friday. Will it be Sheridan to come in on Tuesday? Sheridan is OK at knock downs but poor at holding onto the ball so I would start with Long and Keane. Less humping the ball forward and more using O'Shea to bring the ball forward. I expect a better game from Lawerence. McGeady to improve again (one of his shots is going to go in soon). And I also expect to see Gibson starting.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think Long earned himself a start on Friday, but he'll probably go with Keane/McGeady.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Martin Škrtela (Liverpool) is out for Slovakia. Possible that Miroslav Stoch will also miss the game through injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think Long earned himself a start on Friday, but he'll probably go with Keane/McGeady.
    But will he start wide right (where he played on Friday)?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    I don't think there will be drastic changes to tactics, only personnel. Trap will probably stick to 4-4-2, with Long partnering Keane in attack. Depending on how the game goes, he may switch to 4-5-1.

From the Irish Times, Tardelli is quoted as saying:
    "It is a problem because Doyle is an important player for us but we have young players like Shane Long and Andy Keogh,” said Trapattoni’s assistant Marco Tardelli this morning. “It is possible that the manager will decide to pick a young player like them. They are good players, without experience, maybe, but they are good players.“You saw Long play well against Russia and he scored a goal.”
    Last edited by Predator; 10/10/2010 at 2:05 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    I don't think there will be drastic changes to tactics, only personnel. Trap will probably stick to 4-4-2, with Long partnering Keane in attack. Depending on how the game goes, he may switch to 4-5-1.

From the Irish Times, Tardelli is quoted as saying:
    "It is a problem because Doyle is an important player for us but we have young players like Shane Long and Andy Keogh,” said Trapattoni’s assistant Marco Tardelli this morning. “It is possible that the manager will decide to pick a young player like them. They are good players, without experience, maybe, but they are good players.“You saw Long play well against Russia and he scored a goal.”
    Sounds like Long then. No point hoofing it into the box with two small players up front so it will call for a change of tactics or at least a tweak of tactics. Having said that Long did win one ball in the air against Russia on Friday were he got above two bigger opponents.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 10/10/2010 at 2:12 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Long's the obvious replacement after Saturday in my opinion. He won his fair share in the air and looked sharper than Robbie, so I reckon Trap will see it as like-for-like, more or less. Not having Doyle's aerial strength may force us to play it on the deck a bit more anyway. Sheridan or Keogh as bench options.

I think Fahey did his chances no harm on Friday night. He must be pushing very close and hopefully he'll be in CM alongside Whelan. I know Whelan was underwhelming on Friday but I'd stick with him.

My preference would be to restore the Dunne / JOS partnership with Foley coming in at RB. Leave KK at LB in absence of a better option, though maybe JOS at left back. I don't care that some people think he can't play there. It's not his best position but he's arguably the best option we have there.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Without Doyle and without any obvious big man (like Sheridan or potentially Walters in the near future), Trap won't adopt a long ball game.

What game plan he will choose, I haven't a clue.

I think he'll go with a 5 man midfield, and he'll play Fahey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I really don't see the point in disturbing our settled back four line to put in someone with very little international experience and who brings little, if any, extra quality to what we already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    There's no need to go change the back four.

He needs to bring in a left back for Kilbane against Norway. We cannot rely on Kilbane for the whole campaign.

I think St. Ledger and Dunne work well together and O'Shea is a good solid right back. Unless he wants to blood Foley or Coleman at right back against Norway, I wouldn't be for changing the back four at all (except for changing left back).

Without Doyle, Tuesday night's game is going to be hugely difficult. We'll need a big performance form both McGeady and Lawrence, if they are both fit.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I think the back 4 can be stronger and Foley would add more fluency down the right side. I think full back is a crucial position for deveoping play and retaining possession, and while Dunne / SSL is good enough it's not as good as Dunne / JOS. I do agree though that improving midfield is the priority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Given

O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Kilbane

Long Lawrence Whelan Fahey McGeady

Keane

Long tries to support Keane when we have ball. That's what I think he'll do. Other option is Gibson instead of Long. Leave Lawrence on right and let Gibson break forward when he can. Slovakia looked dodgy at the back. Particularly at LB, somebody like Long or Coleman could get a lot of joy down that side because of their pace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Martin Škrtela (Liverpool) is out for Slovakia. Possible that Miroslav Stoch will also miss the game through injury.
    Both are out, as well as main goalscorer Robert Vittek:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-2372863.html

With Doyle out, I'm expecting Long to start and hoping Gibson to come in to actual help supply which will be a physically less imposing front line. Though I wouldn't complain if it was Fahey either. Like Stutts I'd hold on to Whelan, he's knows he was well below par on Friday but should be looking to bounce back and he has far more in the locker than Green. Don't see much point in changing the back four though I do think this could the last competitive fixture with that four, new defensive options have to be given a run against Norway.

As much as it could be beneficial, I can't see any change to the system. Don't think Trap trusts the players enough to go 4-5-1 although I think a formation with McGeady/Gibson behind Keane would be potentially very interesting.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 10/10/2010 at 3:11 PM. Reason: extra thoughts...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    The Duffer could have found some room. Shame he is so fragile.
    When is Connor Clifford going to be able to crack a lineup so he can be in the mix?
    Cliffy.....Jimmy Mac.....Dave Myler.......welcome to our World Cup lineup in Brasil. Might as well get it going now.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Long's the obvious replacement after Saturday in my opinion. He won his fair share in the air and looked sharper than Robbie, so I reckon Trap will see it as like-for-like, more or less. Not having Doyle's aerial strength may force us to play it on the deck a bit more anyway. Sheridan or Keogh as bench options.
    Exactly. We might be allowed to see how well the lads can play football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    No use placing Fahey at CM, he won't be played in that position.

Is there a hope that Whelan can improve on that awful wooden display?
    He is not playing for his club, he was the first to be substituted. I'd imagine that on Trap's scale of below par performance, his was by far the worst.
    I'd say Trap's faith in him, ever developing into our main CM, has been slowly eroded these past few games and Friday was the last straw.

Gibson should be sensing that Whelan is a wounded animal and get in a few tackles in the practice games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Based on how Trapattoni has used Long, I think Keogh is more likely to start as Keane's partner on Tuesday.

Other than the forced change with Doyle's injury, I don't think Trapattoni will make any more changes to the starting line-up. He's not exactly known for making widespread changes.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    From Slovakian lad on YBIG:
    "Stoch is injured, Vittek injured, Skrtel on the cards, Strba ended up his national carrier today.
    Durica from Lokomotive Moskov was called up as center back.
    our best goalscorer from last campaign is completely out of form. I think we might struggle against Ireland"

We really must not lose this game no matter what. With Doyle out, I think we might start Tuesday similar to how we ended on Friday, with Long on the wing and McGeady with a free role behind Keane. Alternatively, he might go with Gibson to play in the role behind Keane. Would def prefer either of these two changes than say playing Keogh/Sheridan as second strikers.
    Last edited by elroy; 10/10/2010 at 4:10 PM.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast