Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Slovakia V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 12th October 2010 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Maybe Trap was misunderstood. He wanted people to play it to Long, but his English wasn't good enough so they kept playing it long.

This is a very interesting team selection and tactical selection to debate. One of the most exciting things for me when Trap was appointed was the expectation of new and varying tactics depending on what circumstance dictated. It hasn't quite turned out that way! Any changes have been subtle rather than overt.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Why should they be optimistic? They could have shipped 5 or 6 in Armenia and are missing some key players.

If we're up for this game, play properly and survive the inevitable scary moments we might win this one. I just hope to God that we don't go out there thinking a draw will be a good result. It might turn out that way but we should be trying hard to win this one.

We need someone to man mark Weiss methinks.
    he was lucky he wasn't sent off against Armenia. Went for a "Robbie first half Russia" in the box when no one near him and then when the Armenian defender called him on it he made a grab for the throat. Took his goal very well and will have to be watched. Something I noticed about Slovakia in the Armenian game and there game against Macedonia. They are well up there in the darker arts of football re throw ins miles from the original spot of ball going out of play. Time wasting and plenty of feigning injury. Be warned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Maybe this has been already posted but Westwood is out, Brian Murphy called up according to extraime.ie
    'And Crouch must score'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Who is likely to replace Škrtel? I know there has been criticism of the style of play, but if they can't replace his physicality it might be worth playing Sheridan or Daryl Murphy. Robbie always looks best next to a big man.

I don't think Keane would be terribly good up front on his own, so I think we are stuck with 4-4-2.

I would go with

----------------Given-----------------
    Foley -- Dunne -- St. Ledger -- O'Shea
    Lawrence - Wilson - Whelan - McGeady
    ----------Keane - Murphy-------------

Don't think we should be making to many changes right now but the Norway friendly needs to be used to get a good look at people like Foley, McCarthy, Walters etc.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Lawrence is already out,
    you need a major repair job there.

Also, Murphy?
    Last edited by geysir; 10/10/2010 at 9:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Lawrence is already out,

Also, Murphy?
    I'd call up Murphy as a replacement for Doyle. He's playing games and scoring goals for Celtic.

Forgot about Lawrence. The squad is looking really threadbare. Bring in McCarthy maybe

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I don't think players can be simply called up, clubs require notice as well as it's extremely unlikely to happen.
    There are a few on standby.
    Have you seen Murphy play this season for Celtic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    To be fair I haven't watched them since the European qualifiers. But he has been getting games, and scored a couple, albeit from the penalty spot. Basically I reckon Murphy because he is playing, and we don't have many other physical forwards. I know some people will say its nuts calling someone up because he can put himself about a bit, but throughout his career Robbie has always looked better beside a powerful forward, be it Viduka, Mido, Berbatov etc.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Is Berbatov powerful? I'd agree in general though. It'll probably count in Long's favour when the team is announced (tomorrow I assume?)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Is Berbatov powerful? I'd agree in general though. It'll probably count in Long's favour when the team is announced (tomorrow I assume?)
    For the first time ever (under Trap( as far as I can recall) the team will not be announced until the earliest Tuesday afternoon.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Lawrence is already out,

Also, Murphy?

Lawrence out. Says who?

Missed last bit of training but Tardell didn't even consider him a doubt.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Honn View Post
    Lawrence out. Says who?

Missed last bit of training but Tardell didn't even consider him a doubt.
    He was mentioned as a doubt here and that rhymes with out.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    To be fair I haven't watched them since the European qualifiers. But he has been getting games, and scored a couple, albeit from the penalty spot. Basically I reckon Murphy because he is playing, and we don't have many other physical forwards. I know some people will say its nuts calling someone up because he can put himself about a bit, but throughout his career Robbie has always looked better beside a powerful forward, be it Viduka, Mido, Berbatov etc.
    The best that can be said about him is that he is excellent with taking the penalties, including the real pressure ones. He has not yet nailed a first team place and is unlikely to. He is not close to even being ahead of Samaras in the queue.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Whelan (who admitted today that he is suffering from some niggling injuries) should have been subbed at HT. He looked as though he was carrying an injury. So did Doyle. Great attitude for turning up and being prepared to play through the pain barrier
    So now Whelan is elevated to gladiator, after leaving his partner Green in the lurch to take the rap

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    So now Whelan is elevated to gladiator, after leaving his partner Green in the lurch to take the rap
    No. Whelan was poor and I believe it was you who first suggested he might be carrying an injury. Today he confirmed it. I wanted him off after 20 mins but Trap decided against that. As for leaving his partner Green in the lurch. He left Green in the lurch by his own personal performance which was dreadful. And I have already said Green (who was not good) is taking the rap for his partners third rate play. Green was the better player but Whelan is being given the benefit of the doubt. I was comparing Whelan's and now Greens attitude compared to the likes of Stephen Ireland and Tracy at Preston. Oddballs dressed up as mavericks. pair of *******.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 11/10/2010 at 1:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    long deserves his chance on tue night, hes a good finisher and we need all the goals we can get, put him in there. on Green, he has to go, he gives the ball away nearly every time, adds nothing for me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Green is taking unnecessary over the top criticism for Friday night. I dont know if he is upto it either, but even Roy Keane at his best wouldve struggled with an abject Glenn Whelan as his partner against a three man Russian midfield who were superb technically. The support given by McG and Lawro to the CM's was very poor as well.

Judging by the papers this morning, it looks as though Trap is going to make as little changes as possible, with Long in for Doyle in a 442. I just hope that if Slovakia's formation is causing us problems similar to that on Friday night that we are much quicker to react and adapt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I think we need to go out there and win this game if we want to win this group. I really hope Trap doesn't play for a draw. 3 points is a must imo.

Might be worth playing McGeady on the right or even Coleman if their left-back was dodgy against Armenia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    we really need to win this game, a point is useless if we want to do anything in this group. its in a small stadium tomorrow night so there shouldnt be a very hostile atmosphere. keane and long upfront and id be optimistic.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Gets me going that the fact that McCarthy "sometimes plays left sometimes plays right sometimes down the middle" apparently counted against him when the squad was announced. If it transpires that Lawrence is out, I'd sooner have him in there than Long or Keogh out wide (even if Trapp doesn't see him as a CM option).

Perversely, I'm more looking forward to the November friendly sqaud announcement than the game tomorrow.

I've a hunch Gibson will start. Same back four, Whelan, Gibson flanked by McGeady Lawrence(Keogh) with Long and Keane up front.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast