Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insult to Byrne?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insult to Byrne?

.Isnt it a bit of an insult to Byrne to have brought him on in the 90th minute? I knew he was going to do that. It was a case of pretending to reward a LOI player? What good could he have done in injury time? It was a bit like Dolan last Friday night and we were all moaning then.

If i remember correctly the last time he brought on Crowe was in the 90th minute as well. I dont think then that Crowe even touched the ball.

All very superficial. Very Patronising and insulting to the league.

I hope Byrne made some money out of his appearance last night thought

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Didn't see game & i'm sure not many people saw it either.

Kerr has a habit of making few substitutions at friendlies & is slow to chop the team up too much during those matches. I wouldn't see as insult to Byrne or the league but just a pointless substitution for any player.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    tis a shame. I can't believe 4 poxy minutes.

Congrats Jason Byrne all the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    when will people cop on???

late substitutions are an integral part of any managers strategy in the professional game - late late substitutions eat into injury time and ensure the game is played out with no danger to the score - in this case 0-0

basic professionalism 101

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    It's never an insult to play for one's country, no matter how long is spent on the field, but I agree that Byrne should have been given longer to show what he can do. Meself, I'd have stuck him on earlier for Alan Lee, but then I'm not the manager.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Didn't see game & i'm sure not many people saw it either.

Kerr has a habit of making few substitutions at friendlies & is slow to chop the team up too much during those matches. I wouldn't see as insult to Byrne or the league but just a pointless substitution for any player.
    I would have to agree there, he really hates making substitutions and he only seemed to do it last night everytime the poles had made one. He'd rather a result than to give a player a good run out. Quinn and Doyle didn't even get a game and Douglas only got about 8 mins longer than Byrne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Hang on a minute.
    He was a late addition to the squad, and has now trained & travelled with the senior squad, and was part of a senior match, all be it a friendly. Plus he now has a senior cap.
    You can't just waltz into the team.
    If he keeps up the good form in the league, then maybe next time he'll be called into the squad at an earlier stage; and then maybe he'll get a longer stint on the pitch.
    There are alot of other players who have been called up to the suad and not used in friendlies, and to give him a run just because he's an eL player would be patronising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Exactly. he was treated like any other 3rd/4th choice striker. If he didn't play in the eL people wouldn't be so insulted.

Like I've said a thousand times. Kerr doesn't treat the eL players any differently to the others. The difference between Kerr and other managers is that he knows they exist. If they're good enough, they'll get a game...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    what dodge said sums it all up perfectly
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Kerr also doesn't just throw players into games for the sake of it. At the Czech game he didn't bother bring on Thompson & instead played Holland at centre back cos he knew was waste of time as about 6 centre backs ahead of Thompson in pecking order.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    it being a friendly I think he could have given him a few more minutes, but at least he put him in the squad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws
    late substitutions are an integral part of any managers strategy in the professional game - late late substitutions eat into injury time and ensure the game is played out with no danger to the score - in this case 0-0

basic professionalism 101

No it doesn't - there's (supposed to be, anyway) 30 seconds added on for each sub made. So it doesn't matter how many subs you make or how long you take in making them, the time will be added on anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Agreed

It was such an insult and i'm pis*ed off. Mainly cause it was obvious 50 mins in that the game was heading for 0-0 so it would of done no harm to give him a good 25 minute run out, allso a stoppage time sub showed that Kerr has no interset in seeing what Jayo can do for Ireland, What an insult to such a talented player who is being shunned just because he does'nt play in Englad............. Kerr just gave him a run out to make it LOOK LIKE he supports EL, and if the truth is otherwise I beg him to prove it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Da Gull
    being shunned just because he does'nt play in Englad
    Maybe thats a bit too ful on actually, but I still think he deserves more than 4 minutes.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Da Gull
    Kerr just gave him a run out to make it LOOK LIKE he supports EL, and if the truth is otherwise I beg him to prove it
    How about the fact that he takes in games, and actually knows who the best players in the eL are, and picks them for the squad. Personally, I think he should've got longer, but it's happened to plenty of other players in the past, and will happen again in the future. If it was some plum from Tranmere it wouldn't have raised a mention on here at all - even in the national team forum.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    macy

read this months 4-4-2??

bit on magnier and co

ferguson will get his comeuppance (if he even lasts)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I presume you all think it's an insult to Michael Doyle too, coming all the way out to Poland and not getting played at all?

Byrne should be used as any other player, and not given special treatment 'cos he's an eL player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Byrne should be used as any other player, and not given special treatment 'cos he's an eL player.

I know what you are saying but four mins isn't long enough to show how good he is. And even with that, Irish players down through the years have been over looked because none looked at the league. Irish based players were done an injustice in my opinion, and there is a shortfall of a good couple of years to make it up. I know you are saying i am mad but my point is, we need players to know that if they are good enough, that the will be considered and have a chance of playing for their country. It is something to strive for over the course of the season. It gives players that extra bit of edge.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I think the players do know now that they will be considered if they are good enough. Crowe has been in a couple of squads, Byrne now and O'Flynn was mentioned as well, and the under-21s have several eL regular squad members. Of course domestic based players have been done over the years, but I think things are getting better here. Kerr has three of four days' training with them to decide for himself if he's good enough, and to be honest that game was never more than a training session anyway. Some of the stick Kerr has been getting on this thread has been completely unwarranted.

I'd have loved to see him on for longer too, obviously, but deep down, I think you'll have to admit that you wanted him on for longer for the extra buzz of when you see him play against you next and to make you feel better the next time he scores against you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    you wanted him on for longer for the extra buzz of when you see him play against you next and to make you feel better the next time he scores against you!

Ah ... i think you are getting the run of yourself there young man. He is still a Jackeen at the end of the day.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast