Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Future of the A Championship

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    If Galway win their appeal they will have to have a team in the A League.
    Shels were in Northern section last season with Galway in southern, why should that change now?
    Yes, but if Galway are in the Premier, Monaghan wouldn't have to field a team from the First, so there's a shortfall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    With this proposed Reserve League, what is the driving force behind ending the A Championship that's already in existence? Is it that the A Championship might not have a sponsor after this year? Newstalk have been the name sponsor. It's not really a league that has developed. It has a purpose but has not got a high profile and will be unlikely to attract a sponsor on it's own. It looks like a move to bring it under the umbrella of the Airtricity League. Is it the wishes of Premier clubs who do not want to have to field an A side? The A Championship appeared to be a standard where Premier clubs had to field a side and first teams could join. I can only imagine with the Reserve League, there will not be the stipulation for the mandatory fielding of a team by Premier clubs? Are any of these behind the moves?
    At the end of the day, if it provides a path for potential new clubs, it's a good thing. People can lament there is not a club from their regions but if a pathway is there to join the league, there is not much to complain about. I hope whatever happens, moves are made to lengthen the season. The 16 league games Carlow, Tralee Dynamos and others played last season was way too few. For teams like these to develop and establish themselves, they need more league games than that in a season.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    I don't like this uncertainty over the competition at all? How is it good for the clubs involved. I know the Genesis Report has been ripped to shreds but it's point that there has to be a league or way of joining the league on the field of play is a good one.
    There is only four first team clubs in the A Championship this season. Castlebar and Tullamore have opted out as we know. When the LoI clubs have a meeting, it's usually the head of all the clubs involved. It might be an idea for the four clubs and the two that opted out to form a group where they can discuss what they are looking for from the game and then communicate with the FAI on a way forward.
    How are Tralee, Cobh, Carlow and Fanad going to progress this season with only 14 league games and no idea on the plans for next season? It's no way for these clubs to develop, promote the game in their areas and work on their fan base.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Fanad have still got a team in the Ulster Senior League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Fanad have still got a team in the Ulster Senior League.
    Point taken. Tralee Dynamos still have a team in the Kerry District League.

For clubs who want to aspire to play in the LoI and raise their profile, they need to be playing more games at a certain level. The A Championship should be starting at least a week after the start of the LoI. It should also run right up until the end of October at least.

I know across the water they've restructured their reserve league this year due to the number of clubs available. One section had to be split in two groups. The same idea should be taken with the A Championship. Once the number of clubs are known, form a system for the season where the clubs will get a decent number of games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    No A League/Reserve League or any other form of 3rd tier next season.

You would think they would have held the Under 19's until next March in light of this.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    so any player over 19 just goes back to junior football? the FAI are a complete joke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    No A League/Reserve League or any other form of 3rd tier next season.

You would think they would have held the Under 19's until next March in light of this.
    So next season we have first teams and thats it?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    It's stupid. what's the point in that? people will end up going back to junior football and being wasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So next season we have first teams and thats it?
    Yup. Balls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    It's as bad as the decision to stop Ireland being part of the next cricket world cup. Have the clubs done enough though? If teams in the A Championship wanted a league with reserve team, I'm sure they could open discussions with the FAI and other clubs to make it happen.
    It'll be back to supporting the Kerry League once a year in the League Cup. After that there's always hurling and football I guess. I'll take in the odd Limerick game being in the city but it's only a passing interest. Being the nearest club to Kerry doesn't count for much to be honest.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Bit about Castlebar Celtic and their return to the Mayo league from the Connacht Telegraph.

Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    I still can't see why their can't be a reserve league with a mix of some first team clubs next season. Surely despite the costs, some clubs will want to field a reserve team and have a team where they can keep the player just going over age interest. Even if there was only 4 reserve teams and 4 first teams, they could all make the best of it and play over 3 series at least. A first team would have to finish in the top third to qualify for a promotion play-off. The worst thing about a closed system is that if a club from an area start thinking of the next level, if an open league third tier is there, it's the best way for teams to test the water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    You're presuming there's 4 clubs who are willing to fund reserve sides. Clubs cutting costs everywhere, regardless of long term effect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    You're presuming there's 4 clubs who are willing to fund reserve sides. Clubs cutting costs everywhere, regardless of long term effect
    True, it is a presumption. Some clubs still look to do the right thing with all that in mind. Finn Harps and Limerick already take part in the A Championship despite there being no obligation to do so. Shel's have until this season. I'm not sure why they haven't this year? It could be costs or could be the fact it's looking like the last year it's being run.
    I'd like to think the FAI would at least consult the club's before bringing it to an end. They seemed to have the right idea creating the Championship but probably have not implemented it well.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    sligo rovers have a squad of around 25 at the moment, and i think there is only 1 or 2 of those who are eligable for the u19 league, i cant see the benifit of having no A team at all. what will first team players do who need a game here and there and have no reserve side to get that with? theres about 25 players who'll just have to go back to junior football, alot of them still only being 19 but still over age, these are lads who with some more progression could some day make the step up, but with the age restriction they'll just be let go and thats that. i think its unfair to lads like that who are just missing out on the age limit. theres people like me being 21, 22, i'll never make it but still some lads my age would be very good players,who'll also miss out. theres bound to be premier clubs who'd still enter a team in a reserve league. the likes of ourselves, shamrock rovers, UCD, Dundalk, Bohemians and Bray all have good A sides, and alot of work going into them aswell at the moment.

is this matter closed for definate or is there a possibility of having a reserve league?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    For the record, from what I've heard the decision to kill the A league is most definitely a club driven idea. Maybe not all clubs but, apparently, most of them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Pat's are one of the driving forces anyways. I know Pat's have voiced their disapproval of the A Championship a few times, which is fair though I have to say. The FAI should just remove the stipulation that Premier clubs have to enter an A side. I never agreed with it. Clubs should have a youth structure but reserve teams should be optional.
    The top flight of the English league, for all it's support and money, doesn't force every club to field a reserve team. 3 clubs opted out this season. The fixture schedule and structure was tweaked so clubs would get a decent number of games. The same could happen with the A Championship depending on the number of clubs entering every year.

A reserve league doesn't need a perfect structure/format. As they have a low profile, they are not examined closely. The Premier and First Division need a fixed structure and number of teams if they are to have respect and intergrity. With an open ended A Championship, first teams can test the water and leave if it's not for them. Formula One used to have these teams that would come and go. The A Championship should be something like that while also having reserve teams. Sporting Fingal made the news and was bad press. Castlebar and Tullamore being in the unassuming A Championship barely got a mention on their exit to Junior football.

The A Championship would need, pushing it now from 8 mentioned previously, at least 6:
    6 teams: 4 series of 5 games ... 20 game season.
    7 teams: 4 series of 6 games ... 24 game season.
    8 teams:: at least 3 series of 7 games ... 21 games.
    ... etc.

It should be allowed sink or swim. Tweak it based on the number of clubs, if the clubs aren't there for it to work, then is the time to end it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Official confirmation that the A Championship is dead - the FAI inviting all interested non-League clubs to apply for the 2012 First Division. Going by this season's results, the teams hardly look ready, but clubs need far more than 14 games per season, and the length of the close season doesn't give teams much opportunity to make progress, unlike in the "League proper".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    It's sad it's going this way. The A Championship had long-term potential in attracting new clubs. Current clubs have to accept some responsibility. They could always meet up on plans to progress at a third tier level and discuss it with the FAI. If they are not getting their point across, they will no be heard.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678