Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: FAI Cup Semi-Finals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

FAI Cup Semi-Finals

Just was wondering if any of ye had seen Cooks comments today in the various papers about swapping the dates for the semi-finals. Now I would be all for this but was wondering if there is any chance of this happening??I work with a couple of Shams fans and they are raging that the game is on the Sunday instead of the Friday night. Do Pats fans feel the same?? I assume Bohs would be the only ones against some sort of switch but surely given their financial problems they would be looking to maximise the gate reciepts on the game. I reckon our support would nearly double if the match was on the Sunday rather than the Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    It would make commn sense but then it is the FAI your talking about.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st time post View Post
    Just was wondering if any of ye had seen Cooks comments today in the various papers about swapping the dates for the semi-finals. Now I would be all for this but was wondering if there is any chance of this happening??I work with a couple of Shams fans and they are raging that the game is on the Sunday instead of the Friday night. Do Pats fans feel the same?? I assume Bohs would be the only ones against some sort of switch but surely given their financial problems they would be looking to maximise the gate reciepts on the game. I reckon our support would nearly double if the match was on the Sunday rather than the Friday.
    The police want Pats and Rovers played in daylight hours on the Sunday, not a chance it will be moved.
    Theres a prize for bringing the most fans you know

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by forza View Post
    The police want Pats and Rovers played in daylight hours on the Sunday, not a chance it will be moved.
    Do you know this for sure?
    If it is the case I cant understand why they rate this game as potentialy troublesome given there has been little or no bother between the 2 sets of fans for manys a year and nothing that the Tallaght gardai would have been around for.
    The Rovers-bohs fixture is already ruined.I for one dont want this one heading in the same direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    But haven't Pats and Shams played all their games so far this season as evening kick off without any hassle (very much open to correction on that)

I think everyone knows that there isn't a hope in hell of the FAI changing their mind.

I thought making Waterford play away in Sligo last year on a Friday night was even more deranged when Fingal and Bray played on the Sunday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Tallaght will get a good crowd but we all prefer night games. Pats will bring a crowd with them, we always do when we play Rovers. Should be a cracker. Anyway, what is the aversion to having games on a Saturday night??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Model Club View Post
    Do you know this for sure?
    If it is the case I cant understand why they rate this game as potentialy troublesome given there has been little or no bother between the 2 sets of fans for manys a year and nothing that the Tallaght gardai would have been around for.
    The Rovers-bohs fixture is already ruined.I for one dont want this one heading in the same direction.
    Yep heard this from several good sources (one being somebody involved with a security company).

It's also the reason given for a Sunday fixture on the Pats forum if you have a read so no reason to doubt my source.

Tallaght Gardai as well don't like Pats after the club put complaints in over our fans treatment up there before/during the Setanta Cup Final (and thats from somebody within our club).

As well a fan was arrested at the night game this year and was recently up in court for trying to enter the ground with a baseball bat, the same night as the pitch invader that.
    Last edited by forza; 24/09/2010 at 1:07 PM.
    Theres a prize for bringing the most fans you know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st time post View Post
    I assume Bohs would be the only ones against some sort of switch
    Why would you assume that?
    Bohs Will Be Back!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by btid1 View Post
    Why would you assume that?
    Only assuming as Friday is your regular day for games and i know i prefer when we have cup games that we play them as per usual on a Saturday night.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Saturday night makes so much more sense when you think about it. But were talking about the FAI here so common sense isint high on their list. If Rovers and Bohs agreed to a Saturady night would the FAI agree tho?
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    RTE are showing both games so saturday isn't an option. I know for a fact that the powers that be at Rovers, Pats and Sligo all think it should be Rovers v Pats on Friday and Bohs v Sligo on Sunday. I'd say RTE made the call on this, and maybe they just think that Dalymount might look better in the dark, rather than half empty and derelict on a Sunday afternoon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Emmet Malone in the Times on the Shams-Bohs game:

THE DOGS in the street have it that the FAI want these two to meet in the cup final next month and if you were judging solely on this game, one widely billed in advance as this year’s league decider, it would be hard to argue with the choice.
    So it's the FAI's choice, is it? And according to EM, it's the right one.

And we get called paranoid.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

13. Thanks From: