Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Doolin Appointed Ireland U18 & U19 Manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts

Paul Doolin Appointed Ireland U18 & U19 Manager

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...r-19&Itemid=12

Yes folks, the man who brought UCD's youth development to its knees is back. I'm just thrilled.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Delighted cos it means Rusty won't be getting the job.

Not at all surprised that the FAI haven't a notion what they're doing.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I guess you won't be naming the Bowl after him.
    How do you think he will do? He sounds ambitious.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's gonna be in for a shock when he realises he can't go out and buy anyone he wants with imaginary money.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I guess you won't be naming the Bowl after him.
    How do you think he will do? He sounds ambitious.
    I think that he will one day be held up as an example, along with Don Givens, of how it's possible for an Irish youth manager to become the object of the kind of hatred usually reserved for kiddy fiddling priests and the kind of people who write text messages in the cinema.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He's gonna be in for a shock when he realises he can't go out and buy anyone he wants with imaginary money.
    He managed Drogheda and Cork, he has the top UEFA coaching license. Leaving aside possible bad memories, rivalries, jealousies - is there anything left for objective assessment? Is he potentially a good manager for the youth teams?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    No, he won't get the respect of young, overpaid, egotistical professionals. He never even played professionally. It will be a carbon copy of the situation that happened with Kerr and the senior team. Crazy appointment.
    'And Crouch must score'

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Kerr had everybody's respect in the beginning for his managerial achievements. He lost it because of his coaching style and lack of success.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    He managed Drogheda and Cork, he has the top UEFA coaching license. Leaving aside possible bad memories, rivalries, jealousies - is there anything left for objective assessment? Is he potentially a good manager for the youth teams?
    He's a good manager but he left UCD in a bad position and then walked out on both Drogs and Cork when the going got tough financially. It'd be interesting to see if he has the bottle for it if he loses a few on the bounce (likely given our youth teams' records), but his teams always played decent football.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He's a good manager
    He's a cheque-book manager.

but he left UCD in a bad position
    He left us umpteen points adrift at the foot of the table, unable to field a youth team and then had the gall to blame Pete Mahon for our relegation after damn near letting us catch his Drogheda in a show of incompetence I've yet to see rivalled.

and then walked out on both Drogs and Cork when the going got tough financially.
    As it tends to do when you're buying success.

It'd be interesting to see if he has the bottle for it if he loses a few on the bounce (likely given our youth teams' records),
    It'll be fascinating to see whether his habit of jumping ship or the FAI's of sticking with losing coaches will win out.

but his teams always played decent football.
    No, they didn't. They hoofed for all they were worth. Even when that was multiples of what the club could afford.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I think Cork fans will tell you that they most definitely didn't play decent football, they just thumped the ball up the pitch.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The spin begins in the first sentence...

Doolin brings a wealth of experience to the role and takes up the position with immediate effect.

Is this experience in dealing with elite 18 and 19 year olds? No

Experience of managing at international level, perhaps? Hardly glowing, considering his one match so far ended in defeat to a team of players from the fifth tier of English football.

Maybe the Fai got sloppy seconds if the rumour is true that Rusty got cold feet late in the day about leaving Belfield for the job.
    Last edited by Alf Honn; 23/09/2010 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Honn View Post
    Experience of managing at international level, perhaps? Hardly glowing, considering his one match so far ended in defeat to a team of players from the fifth tier of English football.
    He also managed the 23s versus the senior training camp squad and gave them a good game.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    just like the appointment of Noel King for the u21s it stinks of just jobs for the boys again.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    was interviewed on Off The Ball earlier, should be on the listen back service in the morning.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    just like the appointment of Noel King for the u21s it stinks of just jobs for the boys again.
    King just brought an Irish underage team to the quarter finals of a World Cup. I was critical of his appointment at the time but that's some achievement.

Doolin doesn't have anything like that but he's hardly an FAI careerist. All of his management until this year has been at club level.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Not so sure it's jobs for the boys, more who can we get for the salary on offer. If he's on less than McCaffrey was on or even the same, he's not costing much. *didn't hear that from me*
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Ha ha that's funny, you seriously believe this!!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Doolin doesn't have anything like that but he's hardly an FAI careerist. All of his management until this year has been at club level.
    I suppose you have to start being a careerist somewhere. Remember he is the U-23 manager as well. Before that, Fenlon was given the job while he was in between Derry and Bohs. I'm not so sure this isn't about looking after "the boys". But that's just a hunch; maybe even cynicism that the managers who keep getting the big-spending jobs in the league are clearly among the worst ones (Doolin and Fenlon basically), and there must be something more to that than pure idiocy.

However, that's an aside. The single most worrying aspect of this is Doolin's previous record managing young players. He didn't give a fig about UCD's youth system; he preferred to buy players like Richie Purdy or Greg O'Dowd (who, while I'm sure were good in their day - both league winners after all - were both past it while at UCD). When he did dab his hand in signing young players, he signed Barry Andrews - generally cited as our worst ever player - without ever seeing him play on the basis that he'd once been with QPR and Leyton Orient.

Even more than that, we actually scratched a 21s team game under him because we didn't have enough players. Not even crap players; just didn't have enough players full stop. Look at UCD's underage record - this year, for example, we're as good as in the A League final and as good as in the U-20s quarter final - and you'll see what a remarkable achievement it is that someone disregarded a youth set-up so much as to have UCD scratch a 21s game. More than that, when Doolin jumped ship and Mahon took over, there was an immediate surge in confidence in our young players; I remember Pat Jennings in particular being transformed almost overnight. Doolin simply can't work with young players. And this person is now in charge of the national underage set-up?! Ridiculous.

But that's just by way of an analysis of the appointment. It suits me, and I think in time, he'll be seen as the new Don Givens.

23. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Hopefully this works out, but I have no confidence in Doolin whatsoever.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think its a great appointment. He is a young Irish manager who is one of the highest qualified managers in the league. I will admit he does not set up his teams to play like Barcelona but he does get results. Remember even with the troubles in Cork he got them to finish 3rd thier highest league position in years.

I have heard it said that he is not the most popular manager in the league from players but that is usually due to a firm attitude and not taking crap from players, however i believe all of them say he is a great coach.

I think that he should at least be given a chance rather then calling him the next Don Givens!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast