Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Question for Sligo fans.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Model Club View Post
    The term "model club" was,to the best of my knowledge given to SRFC by other clubs fans because when we got our house in order very few,least of al, any of the title contenders since our take over.The harping by the fans of SRFC may not have been what you/they wanted to hear but recent history surely has proven them/us right!

You suggest that we as a group "conveniently forget about bankruptcy and the non-payment of creditors".I dont know where you picked up such a presumption but I can assure you that that period is far from being forgotten about and is what will make any future success feel so much better.

Why this period is not a shameful one for me is because when we seen just how deep the idiots who were in charge of the club at the time had us buried we decided to do something about it.This not only involved taking over the running of the club but in doing so effectively relegating ourselves by coming clean with the books.
    No Hoop can dismiss the debacle that went on before our take over but then no supporter of any club can seriously fail to admire what has gone on since.

The model we have adopted is the ONLY one that can really work in this league where very few people care about their local team but those who do care more than they really should.Of course bohs although being probably the pioneers of the members model in this country have managed to make a balls of it but this shouldn't deter others from following such a course.
    IMO all clubs should have a members club independant of the current owners for 2 reasons.
    (1)The help out the club if they are in need of financial support,or
    (2)To act as a warchest to take over their club should the suppport base become unhappy with their current owners.

As for conveniently forgetting important times in history-Just how much did bohs give the FAI for the home of Irish football in the 80's-Dont hear much about that one any more!!

One last point-Something tells me bohs current creditors will be doing well to recieve 4% over the coming close season so maybe that'll be one less broken record for you to churn out when Rovers occasionally are given the credit they deserve
    I was always under the impression that the term Model Club was ‘given’ to Shams by the FAI. I can understand why you say they have been proven right but that’s not how I look at it. Its when a club hits the hard times, but it survives/ thrives while still keeping the crowds coming back – that is more inkeeping with a Model Club. Shams are doing some fine things, granted, but there is a honeymoon period here. In 5 years time is when Shams can be judged imo.

What gets on my goat is there are plenty of clubs that are equally if not more deserving of the tag Model Club, take Sligo Rovers, Pats, Monaghan, Dundalk all community clubs that are being well run for years. We might go up, we might go down but we keep comng back because we love our club, our town, our history. Wheres our Model Club tag.

On the bankruptcy thing, for your sake I hope the club has learned its lessons because what goes up must come down. Its how far down is the thing. By the way did Shams ever pay the Dry Cleaners that brought them to court for the few grand they owed them?

You say the model ye have adapted is the ONLY one that will work. In fairness dude that’s a load of crap, although it has worked for Shams there is plenty of well run clubs out there as I have eluded to before. In my opinion there is no such thing as The Model Club, and if Shams believe that there is or that their it, God help ye.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    I think you'll find my post was posted a full 9 minutes before Osarusan's.

There really seems to be a need to spell out every word on here in baby step form
    Ohh I know MC, its almost as if im explaining the ohh so difficult complexitys behind how teams ultimately win or lose trophys to a child, not the brightest child at that.
    *insert suitable emoticon here*

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    I was always under the impression that the term Model Club was ‘given’ to Shams by the FAI. I can understand why you say they have been proven right but that’s not how I look at it. Its when a club hits the hard times, but it survives/ thrives while still keeping the crowds coming back – that is more inkeeping with a Model Club. Shams are doing some fine things, granted, but there is a honeymoon period here. In 5 years time is when Shams can be judged imo.

What gets on my goat is there are plenty of clubs that are equally if not more deserving of the tag Model Club, take Sligo Rovers, Pats, Monaghan, Dundalk all community clubs that are being well run for years. We might go up, we might go down but we keep comng back because we love our club, our town, our history. Wheres our Model Club tag.

On the bankruptcy thing, for your sake I hope the club has learned its lessons because what goes up must come down. Its how far down is the thing. By the way did Shams ever pay the Dry Cleaners that brought them to court for the few grand they owed them?

You say the model ye have adapted is the ONLY one that will work. In fairness dude that’s a load of crap, although it has worked for Shams there is plenty of well run clubs out there as I have eluded to before. In my opinion there is no such thing as The Model Club, and if Shams believe that there is or that their it, God help ye.
    The model club term may have been first used or even hinted by the FAI or fran gavin but its the "Model club" tag used by fans of other clubs whenever anything appears in the media re pitch invasions,bottle throwing,supposedly being in debt.
    I for one always laughed at the "big club" tag adopted by bohs fans .Although they will say it was a laugh/wind up and I'm sure it was initially but this tag was always going to be something fans of other clubs would use to beat them with if/when it all went pear shaped.Why give your enemies such an easy come back-albeit one that you may have to wait a while to use.(Gotta change that user name)

The clubs you mention while they may well be community clubs is it fair to say some had problems in the past.Not 18 months ago your own club were in serious debt and although it looks as if you have turned a corner its not exactly the actions of a model club.Pats look to be in the same consolidationary positition after years of over-spending with little real success.Monaghan while to be commended on to the best of my knowledge never having a asterix beside their league position could hardly be described as model seeing that the people of monaghan generally,bar the faithful few, dont seem to care about there local teams fortunes.
    This is not having a go at these clubs more pointing out that no LOI club really deserves such a tag as we all have problems.I just think Rovers are the early leaders in the sustainable race that is the future of professional football in one guise or another in this country.

I wouldn't say that the dry cleaners that got the press coverage recieved their money owed.I'd imagine the tax man would have gotten any monies hanging around.They wern't the only ones who lost out under the previous regimes handling but I can only worry about SRFC in its present form.I'm sure some on here will argue that SRFC members club should pay back the monies owed and maybe they will someday but its forward we are looking,and to be blunt businesses go into examianership/recievership every day.The courts decide to the letter of the law how the situation is to be resolved and move on.All of this was done 5 years ago but I'm sure will be brought up at every junction as a stick to hit us with.
    Back to the model club tag-Its obvious that when the FAI refer to Rovers as the way it should be done they are talking about the last five years,but some fans of other clubs conveniently forget during their petty point scoring exercises(not a dig at you Redobit,more generally).

It is my opinion that the long term future of individual clubs will be left to the fans and the fans alone.Cork seem to have followed firmly in Rovers footsteps in having complete control of their club.Others I'm not to familiar with but havn't Derry,Shels,Drogheda all got some form of 400 club?
    You say my opinion is a "Load of crap" and as things stand most clubs seem to run by a chairman/owner rather than a committee of fans but Im not talking about now-I'm talking about 30-50....whatever years time,Sure Sligo might be happy with how their club is run and good luck to them but if/when the **** hits the fan it'll be the fans of these clubs who will be there to pick up the pieces.

Rovers have had their hard times.For 22 years we played home games in 5 different grounds.We lost loads of fans along the way and who could blame them?
    But,and its a big but-Shamrock Rovers hard-core proved to this whole country(not just the LOI citizens) that they loved their club enough to do the hard things that needed to be done to sustain the long term future of the club.Throwing money wildly at a project doesnt work-Its not that simple/easy.SRFC had a foothold in Tallaght and its surrounds long befor the first team ever kicked a ball there.
    Yes we had help.The judge could have woke up with a headache that day and wound us up.John O Donohue could have folded to the GAA leaving us forced out of Tallaght in 5-10 years time,ala Flower Lodge.The county council could have levelled what was just some pre-fabricated concrete from sticking out of the ground and made a fast buck during the largest property boom this country is ever likely to see-
    But they didn't and hasn't it worked out well for them.They have a fine facility,easy to get to,and the people in the SDCC district and beyond have a stadium and a team they can call their own.
    "Homeless" jibes affect me as much as "Model club",they both mean nothing.
    SRFC is all that matters,to me,my fellow members,season ticket holders and most importantly the board who run the club day to day.Without they're hard work and transparincy we could be in the papers owing dry cleaners a few bob all over again.
    Honeymoon period??? More like 25th anniversary

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Ohh I know MC, its almost as if im explaining the ohh so difficult complexitys behind how teams ultimately win or lose trophys to a child, not the brightest child at that.
    *insert suitable emoticon here*
    Go back to bed son,the big boys are talking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Go back to bed son,the big boys are talking
    I fail to see how spouting a historically revisionist tale with a limited and quite frankly miniscule time span of 5 years analysis and then claiming to be some form of model club is "big boys talk", indeed if that is "big boys talk" I think ill just be happier attempting to explain the complexitys of how teams win leagues to yourself.
    The difference between the average LOI punter and the FAI and Media is that we do not have the limited 5 year time span of judgement for Shams, we have seen how your club was ran into the ground and how it robbed and bluffed its way through hundreds of thousands of debt only to be handed a rented stadium that you somehow take credit for.
    Quite frankly to be lauded as some sort of model for other clubs to take lead from you would have to be in existance for alot longer than 5 years, a 5 years that hardly tests the trials and tribulations of running a club.
    And to tell you the truth its clubs like us and the likes of Mons etc that have not robbed and bluffed their way through mountains of debt but have slogged it out for years through the hard times and the better times, payed our way and are all the stronger for it and yet a Shams fan has the audacity to tell clubs like us who have payed their way for decades upon decades that we are to adopt the 5 year model of Shams, for "our own good".
    I genuinely dont know if your position on that pedastel of yours where you can pontificate oh so well to us meagre mortals is taken in your mind as some form of altruism showing us the light as such or just blissfully unaware Shams arrogance.
    Either way your revisionist and shambolic perception of Shams and its history is something im not buying.
    We have existed and payed our ways since the 1920's and will continue to do so long after the fad of Shams model wears off, almost as fast as "the Galway model".

Model Club
    I fail to see how spouting a historically revisionist tale with a limited and quite frankly miniscule time span of 5 years analysis and then claiming to be some form of model club is "big boys talk", indeed if that is "big boys talk" I think ill just be happier attempting to explain the complexitys of how teams win leagues to yourself.
    The difference between the average LOI punter and the FAI and Media is that we do not have the limited 5 year time span of judgement for Shams, we have seen how your club was ran into the ground and how it robbed and bluffed its way through hundreds of thousands of debt only to be handed a rented stadium that you somehow take credit for.
    Quite frankly to be lauded as some sort of model for other clubs to take lead from you would have to be in existance for alot longer than 5 years, a 5 years that hardly tests the trials and tribulations of running a club.
    And to tell you the truth its clubs like us and the likes of Mons etc that have not robbed and bluffed their way through mountains of debt but have slogged it out for years through the hard times and the better times, payed our way and are all the stronger for it and yet a Shams fan has the audacity to tell clubs like us who have payed their way for decades upon decades that we are to adopt the 5 year model of Shams, for "our own good".
    I genuinely dont know if your position on that pedastel of yours where you can pontificate oh so well to us meagre mortals is taken in your mind as some form of altruism showing us the light as such or just blissfully unaware Shams arrogance.
    Either way your revisionist and shambolic perception of Shams and its history is something im not buying.
    We have existed and payed our ways since the 1920's and will continue to do so long after the fad of Shams model wears off, almost as fast as "the Galway model".
    So you got a dictionary,learned a few big words but still the point flys over your head because of your blind hatred of Shamrock Rovers.You claim I have an arrogant view yet I have put on a plate the past mistakes,help we have recieved not to mention that I think no club deserves a model club tag-Even though your biggest gripe seems to be that you havn't got it.

As for your constant reference to 5 years-Its all I can give you as its all I have.No-one at SRFC can debate our previous regimes massive mis-handling of affairs without a heavy heart but we can be proud that as previously mentioned with a lot of help and hard work from other we came out the other side.Do you really think that the FAI,SDCC,the government/Dept of Sport/Revenue would have given us the help we needed if they didnt see a solid base not to mention future viability.How come other clubs were allowed to go to the wall in far less debt than we were?-0BEcause no-one cared.

How can a rented stadium be "handed" to us? Surely simple economics suggests that the SDCC finish a stadium and SRFC pay a substantial fee for the use of such a facility?Everyones a winner.

Who knows maybe you and your club will be put in a position like us where you had to stand up and be counted.Thats where my pride(your perception of arrogance)creeps in.Hopefully you will never have to do it but then you never know whats going on behind that boardroom door-We do however which is why every SRFC member is safe in the knowledge that our club will be around for a long time yet.

I cant understand your use of "" when you say,"for our own good".Is that a quote from me or just used for effect?

Why not save some of your anger for other clubs you conducted their business erratically in the past.Oh I forget,they're prefix's end with City and didnt rob your original surname 29 years before your existence

Now that to me sounds very pedalstilistic(did I just invent a word)

Anyway nice to see you gong past just the one paragraph this time instead of putting forward your usual arguement................ie. pressing thanks on SKstu's post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

8. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers don't actually know when they were founded, it used to be 1899 but then changed to 1901 for some reason, but then they disappeared and a new club was formed in a different area of the city. A team under the name Shamrock Rovers. playing in green and white in Milltown did not come into existance until the twenties, there were various teams called Sligo Rovers from the 1890's onwards playing in the Showgrounds (the ground we own). Shamrock Rovers were founded in 2005, people from other countries laugh when they hear the silly name, even your own fans cannot refer to the club as Shamrock, maybe Dandelion would have been better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappagh Red View Post
    Shamrock Rovers were founded in 2005, better
    Random. How does this claim in any way relate to reality?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Looks like some people have a case of "Memory Bulimia" - always bringing up the past...
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    It is my opinion that the long term future of individual clubs will be left to the fans and the fans alone.Cork seem to have followed firmly in Rovers footsteps in having complete control of their club.Others I'm not to familiar with but havn't Derry,Shels,Drogheda all got some form of 400 club?
    You say my opinion is a "Load of crap" and as things stand most clubs seem to run by a chairman/owner rather than a committee of fans but Im not talking about now-I'm talking about 30-50....whatever years time,Sure Sligo might be happy with how their club is run and good luck to them but if/when the **** hits the fan it'll be the fans of these clubs who will be there to pick up the pieces.
    Not wanting to get into a boring conversation with you. But Sligo Rovers are an supporters ran club since 1988 when the co-op was founded, at the time we were on the verge of going bust. In fact we were the first top flight club in Western Europe to use this model.

13. Thanks From:

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappagh Red View Post
    Shamrock Rovers don't actually know when they were founded, it used to be 1899 but then changed to 1901 for some reason, but then they disappeared and a new club was formed in a different area of the city. A team under the name Shamrock Rovers. playing in green and white in Milltown did not come into existance until the twenties, there were various teams called Sligo Rovers from the 1890's onwards playing in the Showgrounds (the ground we own). Shamrock Rovers were founded in 2005, people from other countries laugh when they hear the silly name, even your own fans cannot refer to the club as Shamrock, maybe Dandelion would have been better
    People from other countrys laugh?.I'll have to take your word for that but then not that international acceptence is really that important,(Id perfer some indeginous respect for the league as a whole first)but isn't it nice that our illustrious history has us being talked about on foreign shores.

If we were founded on dandeloin avenue in Ringsend then maybe we would have been called Dandeloin Rovers-But we wern't and were not.
    Why would Rovers fans call themselves "shamrock"-We have Rovers and Hoops.

And on your 2005 jibe.Check your facts because you are wrong,as is most of your post.

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Not wanting to get into a boring conversation with you. But Sligo Rovers are an supporters ran club since 1988 when the co-op was founded, at the time we were on the verge of going bust. In fact we were the first top flight club in Western Europe to use this model.
    Thats great to know SS.Cements my theroy that fans owned clubs are the future of LOI football.

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    Looks like some people have a case of "Memory Bulimia" - always bringing up the past...
    Its all you'll have come November.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345