Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Ciaran Clark D Stoke City b.1989

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Not watching but TalkSport are calling him "very accomplished". Anyone even labelled "half decent" or "not an accident waiting to happen" must be a shoe-in for LB for us. "Very accomplished" is beyond all expectations.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Manage expectations

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    he is nailed on for a couple of red cards throughout his Irish career. His tackling is the only really occasionally suspect part of his game and if it hasnt been trained out of him yet then it is unlikely to be anytime soon.
    It's more of a Kevin Moran/Mick McCarthy type lunge. He knew exactly what he was doing when he cut Tevez in two (probably under orders from Houllier). Far enough out wide to prevent a direct scoring chance. He knows all the old pro stuff for someone so young. And he has real pace. MOM for me today was Dunne. Really at the top of his game today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Not watching but TalkSport are calling him "very accomplished". Anyone even labelled "half decent" or "not an accident waiting to happen" must be a shoe-in for LB for us. "Very accomplished" is beyond all expectations.
    Trap will most likely continue with the League One player. Anything else will be a surprise.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I still think he needs to work on his positioning. Yes Villa won today but he was making a lot of similar mistakes that Kilbane makes (tucking in too centrally a times, allowing wingers to cross).

Not trying to be negative I'm just not convinced he would be a huge upgrade if any over Kilbane.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I still think he needs to work on his positioning. Yes Villa won today but he was making a lot of similar mistakes that Kilbane makes (tucking in too centrally a times, allowing wingers to cross).

Not trying to be negative I'm just not convinced he would be a huge upgrade if any over Kilbane.
    I thought the same. He's very raw in that position, which is understandable considering (to my knowledge) he's only played a handful of games there. Inexperience aside, I don't think he'd be that much worse than Killer, pre-injury Cunningham or Ward so I'd have him in contention for that position against Wales. I'm fairly sure Trap made some comment about seeing him as a CB though.

Glad to see Dunne back to something approaching his best too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    I thought the same. He's very raw in that position, which is understandable considering (to my knowledge) he's only played a handful of games there. Inexperience aside, I don't think he'd be that much worse than Killer, pre-injury Cunningham or Ward so I'd have him in contention for that position against Wales. I'm fairly sure Trap made some comment about seeing him as a CB though.

Glad to see Dunne back to something approaching his best too.
    Maybe playing against Man City was good motivation for him. Hopefully he countines to put in performances like that over coming months.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Watched a bit of QPR V Coventry yesterday. Thought Stephen O'Halloran did reasonably well at LB, although did get done near the end and brought down his man which got him a yellow card. Not long back from injury but the reports so far have been good, he is playing regularly and at a reasonable level. If he keeps it up, certainly deserves a closer look.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Out injured with a hamstring problem for tonights game. ****** to that. Hope its not too serious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Scored against Blackburn in the FA Cup. Playing centre half. Keith Andrews also back starting.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Trap has to play him now
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Scored against Blackburn in the FA Cup. Playing centre half. Keith Andrews also back starting.
    Trap has to play him now
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Does this lad seem to have scored a lot of goals this season or is it just me?
    Cmon County!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    just 4 goals, but they've come against high profile opposition - Arsenal and Chelsea - and in a cup game, which gets more attention
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    He had two in one game also i believe.
    People on here starting to come around on Clark as at least a possibility.
    McCarthy-Coleman-Clark-Meyler-Clifford
    See ya in Brasil.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    good piece in the sunday world(i know i dont normally by that type paper) saying that he never felt right about playing with england and that it was second choice but the FAI never approached him for underage.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I've typed out the relevant quotes (there is more but it's him talking about Villa and I'm lazy). Loads of grammar errors in the article, though.

"It never felt right to me when I was playing for England because Ireland was always the country I wanted to represent.

"This is the natural path for me because I have come from an Irish background and spent most of my summer holidays over there when I was a kid. I loved my time in Leitrim and Donegal and it has always felt like home to me in many ways.

"Even though I was born and raised in England, I have always felt an allegiance to Ireland, but I wasn't offered the chance to represent the country at junior levels. Maybe the Irish officials didn't realise I was available, so England was a second option.

"If someone from the FAI had come along to me when I was 16 and offered me a chance to play at junior level in a green shirt, I would have jumped at it. Yet it was England that chased me to play for them and it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

"The difference this time is it feels right to be preparing to fly to Ireland for an international game and there was never any doubt in my mind that I would take this route when Richard Dunne spoke to me about it a few months back.

"I didn't have to think twice about declaring myself for Ireland and I owe Richard so much for helping to make this happen. If I have anywhere near as good an international career as he has enjoyed, then I'll be delighted.

"My family will be so proud if my first cap comes against Wales and while there will be some nerves for me meeting up with the squad for the first time, there will also be plenty of excitement. I can't wait for this chance."

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Very Kilbane-esque. Sounds like a smashing lad.

He will be starting against Wales too so good for him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    You would wonder what the FAI scouts do be at sometime. Basically Clark has said that if Ireland came calling earlier he wouldve signed up, but they never did. In fact Richie Dunne is pretty much the reason he is now with us. Surely it doesnt take a significant amount of effort for the FAI to keep tabs on the youth set ups of the clubs in the top two tiers in England.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...n-2527344.html
    UNTIL he names his side for Tuesday's glorified friendly (and it's not much glory), many will be sceptical about Giovanni Trapattoni's commitment to change.

By leaving men like Kevin Kilbane out of his final squad, Ireland's manager may be forcing his own hand and the chance to see Seamus Coleman, James McCarthy and Ciaran Clark may boost interest in a game that needs all the help it can get.

Trapattoni's strange games with McCarthy and his selection are not uncharacteristic, but the Wigan midfielder must play in this game, especially after yesterday's double.

Coleman, who was overlooked remarkably for the Norway friendly, and Clark seem more assured of their places. Coleman, of course, is the romantic story and his sense of adventure for Everton has excited many. His progress under Trapattoni, who has never put much emphasis on a sense of adventure, will be fascinating.

Clark is a different story. He could start at left-back on Tuesday, especially with Kilbane left out. He has benefited from Gerard Houllier's desire to have a physical presence across his backline but he has also played in midfield this season.

"I've enjoyed it," Clark said last week. "It's a bit different for me, but I'm just happy to be playing and being part of it. I do see myself as a centre-half, but if the team need me to play left-back or anywhere else, I'll happily fill in."

Houllier and Trapattoni share many beliefs about the game and he may find that left-back is where he will play for Ireland.

Clark's involvement was a coup. He has captained England at underage level but he says this was just part of his career progression.

"I was just playing away for Villa and they came in and, at that time, I thought it was great. I went along with it, kept going and Ireland didn't really come in at the time, I didn't have any contact with them so I didn't have to make a decision back then. Now the time has come and I have made my decision.'

His mother is from Leitrim and his father's family comes from Donegal. He was born in Harrow but summers were spent in Drumshanbo and Donegal. On Tuesday, Leitrim and Donegal will come to Dublin.

His selection owes a lot to Richard Dunne who was talking to Clark's mother Peggy after a pre-season friendly against Valencia, noticed her accent and pursued it with Clark.

"He didn't try and pressure me or anything, he just asked me would I be interested in playing for Ireland, and I said I would be more than interested. He knew some of the coaches at Ireland, so he put the word in and since then it's just been moving forward."

On Tuesday, there will be another massive step and he will hope to be alongside Dunne, who has demonstrated to Houllier how vital he is.

"He's a great leader, just a player who I think everyone at the club looks up to, especially me as a young lad. It's just great being part of it now with him. I've learnt a lot from him and I'm just hoping to learn a lot more from him now."

Houllier is allowing a number of young players to come through at Villa. Clark was captain of the side, which included Barry Bannan, that won the Academy League three years ago but he feels that now, at 21, he has the physical strength to play in the Premier League.

He has the commitment to play for Ireland and his family have it too. "I think they love the decision I have made and I'm sure they would have loved me to play for Ireland when I was a lot younger, but the time has come and I've made my decision, and I think they're so proud of my decision in the end."
    As elroy stated above, you would really have to wonder what exactly our FAI ''scouts'' actually do.

Page 22 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast