Page 69 of 74 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1467

Thread: Ciaran Clark D Stoke City b.1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    If he isnt vaccinated he cant come. Kenny was clear that someone has chosen not to get the jab. It might not be Clark but his exclusion is bizarre even for sk
    It seems unusually pointless to be discussing the manager's decisions when some of them - we can't know which - were out of his hands.

Collins and Omobamidele seem like very good prospects, and it's nice to see players coming through, but Clark is a strange omission.

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    If he isnt vaccinated he cant come. Kenny was clear that someone has chosen not to get the jab. It might not be Clark but his exclusion is bizarre even for sk
    https://www.premierleague.com/news/2194724

Clark getting jab last month.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Haha, goad job, that's what I call evidence

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Clark should be in the eleven. With egan and duffy now. Oshea as center mid. He will flourish there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I've always liked Clark, and to the best of my knowledge he's always shown up for us when able. Hard to see what's up here with his omission. Even in terms of style of play, he's good technically for a centre back and can run the ball up into midfield -- I just don't get this.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    as a newcastle fan he's a bit of an enigma. he doesn't seem to do anything particularly wrong in a game and is usually a 6 or 7 out of ten. at the same time when he's not playing you don't miss him. i know very little about him but he's seems a quiet lad, rather than a captain type.

he used to be a threat from set pieces but that seems to have waned. i'd like to see him at a club where he's the main centre back and plays 30+ games a season. norwich could do worse than looking at clark.

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    as a newcastle fan he's a bit of an enigma. he doesn't seem to do anything particularly wrong in a game and is usually a 6 or 7 out of ten. at the same time when he's not playing you don't miss him. i know very little about him but he's seems a quiet lad, rather than a captain type.

he used to be a threat from set pieces but that seems to have waned. i'd like to see him at a club where he's the main centre back and plays 30+ games a season. norwich could do worse than looking at clark.
    Interesting perspective. He's certainly not top notch but he's a solid EPL defender. I'd guesstimate he's the Irish CB who's faced most Premiership strikers in recent years. Yet Kenny doesn't rate him among our top five CBs! He also captained Ireland (under MON) in Paris. I've already opined he's probably the most undervalued Irish player in recent history. Clark was rated 8/10 against Burnley in his last game (admittedly, he didn't start first two). I reckon he'll be about the EPL for another two years - as zero indicates - during which time he'll probably accumulate more appearances than the bulk of our current squad will over their careers. I'd also wager, if he doesn't retire following this ridiculous squad omission - he'll still be around after Kenny is gone.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 28/08/2021 at 2:04 AM. Reason: a bit of a clean up

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    He can also play left back.
    Its a strange one definitely.

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Stephen Kenny may not be keen on him since the Serbia away game, and the Newcastle Evening Chronicle soccer writers have recently been suggesting that he and Hendrick will be on their way out of St James' Park soon, but -- average goals conceded by The Toon this season when Clark starts (including the recent one where he was sent off after 9 mins) = 1.91. Average goals conceded when he doesn't = 2.50 I wonder what he would look like in a team with a midfield and any kind of threat up front.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    hes very poor with the ball, dont think he'll be in again unless theres an injury crisis

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    hes very poor with the ball, dont think he'll be in again unless theres an injury crisis
    Can you support that? Or is it just another heavily-discounted line about Clark? No one will ever claim he's a top EPL defender but his record and stats suggest he's a good one. He's 31 and likely to be swept out (alongside the vast majority of his teammates) by the disturbing takeover at Newcastle. I don't believe any of our extensive crop of CBs, finding themselves in a similar situation, wouldn't suffer a similar fate.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    There is going to be some clear out at Newcastle as time goes by. They just seem to have a lot of players who are either not good enough / don’t try. When you look at it down through the years Newcastle seem to be forced ( because a lot of Players / their wives / girlfriends don’t want to go to Newcastle ) to buy these sort of players i.e. Players that are Not wanted by clubs in the kind of places ( the above would like to go ) / successful clubs.

Perhaps the Saudi Money can get better Players and Players with better attitudes ~ Time will tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    This is an absurd statement. Clark has his limitations but is probably one of our better centre halfs when it comes to carrying the ball out from the back.

Perhaps the fact he’s taking those risks sometimes leads to mistakes but it’s part of any team playing a possession game.

My main issue with him over the years has been not being tight enough to his marker/questionable positioning, that type of thing.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Can you support that? Or is it just another heavily-discounted line about Clark? No one will ever claim he's a top EPL defender but his record and stats suggest he's a good one. He's 31 and likely to be swept out (alongside the vast majority of his teammates) by the disturbing takeover at Newcastle. I don't believe any of our extensive crop of CBs, finding themselves in a similar situation, wouldn't suffer a similar fate.
    Yeah look at his numbers, hes a poor passer/progressor albeit in a team that is poor anyway. He was poor v lux in that 0-1 game and he struggled big time in build up. Not someone Id be keen on seeing in a starting line up again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    This is an absurd statement. Clark has his limitations but is probably one of our better centre halfs when it comes to carrying the ball out from the back.

Perhaps the fact he’s taking those risks sometimes leads to mistakes but it’s part of any team playing a possession game.

My main issue with him over the years has been not being tight enough to his marker/questionable positioning, that type of thing.
    Absurd? Really? Hes like 6th choice, dont get the clamouring for him. Hes not suited to how kenny wants us to build up from the back and he was really poor in those 2 qualifiers he started in , especially Lux at home,.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Yeah look at his numbers
    Which numbers in particular?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Absurd? Really? Hes like 6th choice, dont get the clamouring for him. Hes not suited to how kenny wants us to build up from the back and he was really poor in those 2 qualifiers he started in , especially Lux at home,.
    He’s better on the ball than Duffy, and is probably better suited to the Kenny style in that respect. We’ve got younger players coming through to cover the CB positions, but until the last couple of weeks was one of the few players we have who was playing regularly in the PL. I suspect given Newcastle’s result yesterday, he may get a recall before too long.

26. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Yeah look at his numbers, hes a poor passer/progressor albeit in a team that is poor anyway. He was poor v lux in that 0-1 game and he struggled big time in build up. Not someone Id be keen on seeing in a starting line up again
    His figures against Luxembourg (tetsujin, post#1352) suggest he was far from the worst against Luxembourg. What was the build-up in which he struggled big-time?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Pass completion figures from infogol.net and refer to all domestic games this season, not internationals: Duffy 87%; Keogh 87%; Egan 85%; Clark 77%; Lenihan 65%; O'Shea 47%.

For comparison: Stevens 78%; Coleman 76%; Knight 80%; Browne 79%

29. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Presumably style of play at club level will play a big part in those figures?

He's also playing at a higher level than all of those bar Duffy and Coleman, which should be considered as well. 80% pass completion in the top flight is, ceteris paribus, better than 80% pass completion in the second tier.

31. Thanks From:

Page 69 of 74 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast