Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Ciaran Clark D Stoke City b.1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    But sure Don Givens is the head scout now, how could anything possibly go wrong ???????

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
    How can it not matter how Irish the Ireland national team is though, surely the point in having a national team is that it represents you as a nation ,not another nation's rejects and third generational offspring of those who left this island for good a lifetime ago or more.
    Anyway its also a question of our international credibility. Its bad enough being completely dependent n British clubs to nurture our talent and provide them with a living whilst our own national league remains the most pathetic of any country larger than Dublin, but to be dependent on England and Scotland to provide us with the players to sustain a competitive national team is just embarassing. Football fans from abroad I've met who know anything of our national team tend to find it a matter of amusement that at times half or more of our squad havent ever even lived here. I understand that things arent as bad as they were but these new FIFA rules on switching countires (designed for political reasons to shore up the support of their resident dicatator in chief) are likely to lead to the courting of more and more players who have already opted to represent someone else (sure they might change their minds but not for the most honorable resons) At least Jack's plastics had never pulled on an England shirt before even if they might have wanted to. Its all about pretence anyway this adopt an Englishman business and I think its time people grew out of it to be honest
    Clearly you have to learn how the rules of sport work also!

It's happened in many sports, as the world has got 'smaller' also with far more movement of peoples from their, er, ethnic homelands.
    Cricket and both rugby codes have far more tenuous eligibility rules that make soccer/FIFA look paragons of virtue by comparison.

There are Irish Diaspora, as with many many other countries ( eg. Armenia, Brazil, China, India, Italy), spread all across the world. Many of them are not eligible as their heritage is too many generations back, but there are also millions who are.
    They all have Irish blood:Get over it!

More contentiously, soccer is unlikely to ever have a great domestic presence, based partly on the proximity of the leagues in England & Scotland not to mention the saturation media coverage, but also due to the dominance of GAA to pervade many, if not all, aspects of Irish domestic culture!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    How can it not matter how Irish the Ireland national team is though, surely the point in having a national team is that it represents you as a nation ,not another nation's rejects and third generational offspring of those who left this island for good a lifetime ago or more.
    Anyway its also a question of our international credibility. Its bad enough being completely dependent n British clubs to nurture our talent and provide them with a living whilst our own national league remains the most pathetic of any country larger than Dublin, but to be dependent on England and Scotland to provide us with the players to sustain a competitive national team is just embarassing. Football fans from abroad I've met who know anything of our national team tend to find it a matter of amusement that at times half or more of our squad havent ever even lived here. I understand that things arent as bad as they were but these new FIFA rules on switching countires (designed for political reasons to shore up the support of their resident dicatator in chief) are likely to lead to the courting of more and more players who have already opted to represent someone else (sure they might change their minds but not for the most honorable resons) At least Jack's plastics had never pulled on an England shirt before even if they might have wanted to. Its all about pretence anyway this adopt an Englishman business and I think its time people grew out of it to be honest
    Agree with some of your points here. Im not a huge fan of the recent rule changes that you can have played now U21 level but still make a switch. I also think a friendly cap should tie you to a country as well rather than a competitive cap. The changes bring the international game closer to a club game scenario and I wouldnt be keen on that.

In an ideal world, all our team would be Irish born, have grown up in Ireland, have strong Irish accents and maybe even play their football in ireland. Given the nature and size of our country that is not going to happen. And to be honest, with the exception of playing their football here, I wouldnt want it to happen. Some of our greatest heroes in the Irish jerseys are 2G. Many 2G players have given more for Ireland than their colleagues who are Irish born. Plus having a squad mainly comprising Irish born players but also 2G players more accurately reflects our nation and its history.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Didn't see yesterday's game but apparently he played very well in a fairly lacklustre team performance. Fans over at VillaTalk voted him MOTM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    one thing to take into consideration which we irish fans have an awful habit of doing, but most fans in general, is when a young lad breaks through into the first team, a few nice touches/passes/moves stands out more amongst the crowd than a regular starter does. We seem to "player cam" that individual and any thing of note gets exaggerated in our overall review of that individuals performance.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Agree with some of your points here. Im not a huge fan of the recent rule changes that you can have played now U21 level but still make a switch.
    What rule changes are you talking about?
    That's not part of a recent rule change. Playing at u21 level for one association did not stop a dual national changing associations. You need to be better acquainted with your subject matter in order to support your opinions.
    You may be confused with the removal of the age limit of 21 for changing associations. That age limit removal is the only change made since 2003.

I also think a friendly cap should tie you to a country as well rather than a competitive cap. The changes bring the international game closer to a club game scenario and I wouldnt be keen on that.
    It would appear that friendly caps did not tie a player either. FIFA clarified their rule in 2008 to make it more clear that friendlies did not tie a player. FIFA state they did not change their rules in 2008.

I really see little or no problem with the only thing FIFA have changed since 2003 - removing the age limit (for uncapped dual national players at senior competitive level), to change associations. One positive, is it removes the exploitive capping of dual nationals by one association to the detriment of the dual national's other legitimate choice.

Nationality is the eligibility criteria, not subjective opinions on the quality of nationality. Nationality is objective, it is constitutionally defined. Nationality is not defined, nor can be exposed to change, by the myriad of subjective opinions.
    FIFA have acted with haste when necessary to support integrity in the eligibility at International level, as evidenced by their fast response in 2003 to put conditions on the acquisition of a new nationality.
    The current eligibility rules are open for being overused by an association such as the FAI, to the detriment of some players who have represented Ireland at underage level. But most of what I read here is the fear that something bad is going to happen - rather reminds me of Enoch's rivers of blood speech.
    I see no evidence that something bad is going to happen, only fears expressed that something bad is going to happen. The FAI are making efforts to develop aspects of the game so that young kids should not have to leave the country in order to receive basic coaching skills - before they have finished their basic education. I would hope that this gradually results in the bulk of the underage squads being composed of home based kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    one thing to take into consideration which we irish fans have an awful habit of doing, but most fans in general, is when a young lad breaks through into the first team, a few nice touches/passes/moves stands out more amongst the crowd than a regular starter does. We seem to "player cam" that individual and any thing of note gets exaggerated in our overall review of that individuals performance.
    True but Clark seems to be getting good notices everywhere. Always worth reigning in expectations though.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    I think Clark played in midfield yesterday. Obviously shows versatility, something which can be considered an asset.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Glowing praise from Villa fans after yesterday's game:

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?n...=asc&start=165

'England's loss', 'Better than Cahill', 'Pure class' etc.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I will take an English born player who wants to represent Ireland over an Irish born one who doesn't anyday.

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Good point, was working analysing the game yesterday, Clark did well, and has potiental. totally left footed, which can lead to him not getting a pass or shot off and then getting closed down and losing the ball.

Won his fair share of headers and was available for the ball in good positions.

Any young up and coming player is good for Ireland, but I see Trapp using him the same way as Cunningham (Who I saw on Sat whilst working on the Leicester v Preston match) as a squad player, getting him used the his system.

Either way if it improves the overall strength of the Irish squad then that can be no bad thing.

On a different subject, Dunne (Who I rate highly) looked off the pace a little yesterday, and seems to be carrying, was surprised to see him in the team considering he has been struggling with a few injuires.

He did well in the air, and position wise, but got caught for pace towards the end as he tired. Think he needs to be given time to fully recover from these injuries as we will need him fully fit for the qualifiers.

As for the Leicester game, Cunningham looked solid made some good runs and was a threat linking up with attacks, always available, did well.

St Ledger played his usual steady game, but needs a move to push and challenge him further and to fulfill his potiental, as Prestons struggling team form could affect his game long term.

Tracy worked hard, but lacked service, looked sharp with the few attacking runs he had, always willing to take a pot at goal, in good form right now, so would be useful to have in the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Who knows but its irrelevant anyway he grew up in England and became a footballer and an England captain at that and we cant take credit for it because of his blood, it just doesnt make sense.
    Who is trying to 'take credit' for Clark being who he is? Why do you consider this an issue?
    All the FAI is doing is availing of Clark's services, something which is granted via Clark's Irish nationality and his subsequent fulfilment of FIFA's eligibility statutes. It's quite simple. If this is an issue which genuinely riles you, I suggest that you take your complaints to the highest authority in football and kindly ask them to amend the rules to suit your view of the varying degrees of nationality. Who knows, you might actually strike a chord and affect change. Start a campaign or something, maybe take it to the CAS, if that avenue is open to you.
    Last edited by Predator; 01/11/2010 at 8:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    If this is an issue which genuinely riles you, I suggest that you take your complaints to the highest authority in football and kindly ask them to amend the rules to suit your view of the varying degrees of nationality. Who knows, you might actually strike a chord and affect change. Start a campaign or something, maybe take it to the CAS, if that avenue is open to you.
    ...use the IFA as your inspiration Adrock.
    Last edited by The Fly; 01/11/2010 at 8:51 PM.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Its nothing to do with Irish blood anyway - we all bleed the same not green because we're irish - its the environment of your upbringing that determines what you become. If Clark had lived all his life in India do you think his Irish blood would have made him a top level footballer? If he'd grown up in Ireland he might have been anything - a GAA player, a drug addict, a priest? Who knows but its irrelevant anyway he grew up in England and became a footballer and an England captain at that and we cant take credit for it because of his blood, it just doesnt make sense. If you are one of these proud diaspora anyway youd presumably grow up knowing or feeling that you were Irish and you presumably wouldnt want to represent England. Any diasporites on this forum grow up wanting to play for England or wheerever they have diaspored to?
    Clearly you know little of genetics which is much of what drives any diaspora. I see it regularly.
    Though for your information, I'm not a member of the Irish Diaspora, but if there are those who are and want to play for us and they're eligible, so be it.
    And what tricky colour said.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Barry Bannan sounds like an Irish name, anyone know anything about him(apart from being born in scotland i mean)?
    Definitely won't be converting to us. Being called up to the Scottish senior side:
    http://www.scottishfootballforums.co...php?f=5&t=2924

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Interesting game Fulham v Villa. Clark has come on for an injured Reo Coker and slotted well into midfield.
    First time I have seem him play and this lad is talented.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/...-ciaran-clark/

A year to remember for Ciaran Clark.

Ciaran Clark has come a long way since making his Villa bow against Fulham little more than a year ago.

Judging by the quality of his performance in shutting out the Cottagers that day – he gave a calm and composed display in the 2-0 win last August – his rise to the fore under Gerard Houllier should come as little surprise.

And to say it’s been a whirlwind few weeks for the 21-year-old for club and country is an understatement.

First, Clark committed his international future to the Republic of Ireland – despite captaining England at youth level. Then, last week, he committed his future to the club by signing a new three-year contract. Finally – a centre-back by trade on Sunday -he found himself thrown in at the deep end in the derby battle with Birmingham in the unfamiliar territory of midfield, sitting in front of the back four.

Once again, Clark passed the test with flying colours with a Man of the Match display in the stalemate.
    He said: “It was a bit of a surprise getting selected. I’ve never played that role before. The manager spoke to me and felt I could do it and it boosts your confidence when he tells you something like that. I found out on the Saturday before we trained. I didn’t really think about it too much. I just got my head down and watched a bit of TV, just the usual sort of preparation."

“I spoke to a few of the more experienced lads like Nigel Reo-Coker and Luke Young and they were just encouraging me to go out there and do what I normally do. It was the Sunday morning it really began to dawn on me, but once I got out there and warmed up it just all seemed to go out of my head. Everyone encouraged me through the game, there was a lot of help and talking – they let me know where to be and where not to be! I didn’t play youth or reserves in midfield. But I did play there at the younger levels, 13s, 14s but since then I haven’t been there. It’s been all about defence.”

But Clark would have no qualms with playing the position again. He said: “I think I can do a job there. My main position is centre-back, but if I was needed to play there again I’d do it. Maybe the manager played me there because I’m quite comfortable on the ball. I’m always up there in the box for set-pieces, trying to get my head on things and being a nuisance. I’ve had two chances now against Chelsea and Birmingham, it would be nice if I could make it third time lucky!”

"It could have been even better had a late header not crept the wrong side of the post – an accidental fist in the face from the onrushing Ben Foster leaving him with a bloodied nose. He said: “If it was outside the box, I think it would have been a free-kick. It didn’t get given so we just have to get on with it now.”

Clark already has good memories of facing Fulham and hopes to add another one tomorrow, as 14th-placed Villa bid to end a four-game winless streak in the league. He said: “It was my debut game so I’ll always remember it. They are a good side. We just need to get that win and hopefully it will come against Fulham. There’s only a couple of points separating a lot of teams. It’s just so tight at the moment that anything could happen. Once we get our win we would get our confidence again. We’ll look to push on. Looking at the table, it looks like a bit like the Championship – everyone is beating everyone.”

Clark, passed fit after recovering from a dead leg, is also delighted to have extended his stay in the Midlands. He said: “Once you get that extra three years you have a bit of security there. You know you can get your head down and concentrate without worrying at all. I have had a lot more chances than I had last season. I am definitely moving in the right direction and it’s an exciting time to be at the club under Gerard Houllier.”
    Last edited by The Fly; 06/11/2010 at 5:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    No source for this, but, interesting nonetheless...

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/11...-ciaran-clark/

Chelsea keen on Aston Villa Youngster Ciaran Clark

Aston Villa’s young talented defender Ciaran Clark is apparently a target for Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti who is looking to bring in new young talent to help reverse the rapidly ageing shape of his Stamford Bridge side. The Blues manager is being linked with a move for the England Under 20 international after a succession of solid performances from the defender.

Gerard Houllier will try his hardest to keep the Harrow born starlet from leaving but may struggle to prevent Clark from having his head turned by interest shown by the Premier League champions. With a number of the Chelsea side getting on in years a move for a player with as much potential as the Villa Park player makes a great deal of sense.

Ciaran Clark has shown his ability play in the centre of midfield as well as his customary centre back position and is reportedly set to become an Irish international and has a bright future ahead of him. His mature performances this season have brought him to the attention of a number of high profile clubs and Houllier will have a fight to keep the Academy graduate at the club.

Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast