Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Walters

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Great performances tonight from Whelan and Walters. Johnny has to start up from front with Long. On paper, we have enough to cause most teams alot of grief and I think they could be class for us if given a run of games. I love Keano for what he's done, but he should be no more than an impact sub now. Every time I see Whelan for Stoke, he's very good and yet for Ireland, he's generally mediocre. Not sure why that is, but if we could have the Stoke version with Jamie Mac, I'd be very happy

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    How many times have Long and Walters played together? If we're going to play two up top, I'd always have Keane involved. I'd only leave him out if we were doing 451.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Second half vs Bosnia? They looked good together.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    How many times have Long and Walters played together? If we're going to play two up top, I'd always have Keane involved. I'd only leave him out if we were doing 451.
    Not sure about how often, but I know that Long has been criminally underused by Trap and Walters is the closest thing to a target man that we have in the squad and has been doing it consistently in the premiership for a while. I would feel that we need to start looking at them as our front two and I could see them becoming a very decent pairing for us. I do think that Keano can still have a huge part to play for us though. He's always likely to come up with a goal in a big match, even if he isn't playing well.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't know. In spite of Walters' two goals yesterday and Long's generally good scoring rate, I don't think they're clinical enough for a side that produces as few chances as Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Great performances tonight from Whelan and Walters. Johnny has to start up from front with Long. On paper, we have enough to cause most teams alot of grief and I think they could be class for us if given a run of games. I love Keano for what he's done, but he should be no more than an impact sub now. Every time I see Whelan for Stoke, he's very good and yet for Ireland, he's generally mediocre. Not sure why that is, but if we could have the Stoke version with Jamie Mac, I'd be very happy
    There is merit in examining the way Stoke set up versus ourselves. Just by looking at formation, Stoke play a 4-2-3-1 formation. Walters occupies the centre of the three and when in defensive mode, Stoke tend to have 9 or even ten behind the ball. So the talk of Walters to play up front for Ireland is not really a direct comparison to the role he plays for Stoke given that we operate a standard 4-4-2. Nonetheless he is a very tough player to mark, who gives his all and is well able to finish. Given Trap's priority is defense, it is amazing he does not use Walters in a similar to that he is employed with Stoke. Instead he chooses to use the likes of Cox instead!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    There is merit in examining the way Stoke set up versus ourselves. Just by looking at formation, Stoke play a 4-2-3-1 formation. Walters occupies the centre of the three and when in defensive mode, Stoke tend to have 9 or even ten behind the ball. So the talk of Walters to play up front for Ireland is not really a direct comparison to the role he plays for Stoke given that we operate a standard 4-4-2. Nonetheless he is a very tough player to mark, who gives his all and is well able to finish. Given Trap's priority is defense, it is amazing he does not use Walters in a similar to that he is employed with Stoke. Instead he chooses to use the likes of Cox instead!!
    Trap uses Walters up top because he's the best at holding the ball up. He seems to have lost confidence in Doyle and doesn't rate Long so Walters is the man.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    True and he is probably our best option in that sense. However, his game at Stoke is far from the front man required to hold up the ball - for example Jones was employed in that role against Liverpool, Crouch often is as well. I dont think employing Long in that role plays to his particular strengths. For me, Long and Walters would appear to be the best in form combination right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The problem I think is that Long and Walters fill precisely the same role at their clubs, so if they played together I think only one player is going to get to play to his strengths. Granted, being a target man isn't Walters' best role either, but it allows Keane to find space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Interview feature with Walters on Football Focus now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Goal Walters! Cracking bullet header from close range - goalkeeper had no chance. His own goalkeeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Another headed finish from Walters - a glancing header this time. 2-0 Chelsea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Feck sake Johnny!!! >

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Penalty for Chelsea. Will Lampard step aside and let Walters to take it?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Interview feature with Walters on Football Focus now.
    Apparently this was less of an interview and more of a manchurian candidate activation event. Well played, Chelsea.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    And he's hit the bar from a penalty to round off a good day's work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    It didn't hit the bar that I saw, I thought he just skied it (I was only half watching)...

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Said on the radio that it had glanced the bar which made it look much worse than it was. There will be comfort for him in that. Surely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Pulis offers Walters his support. This is like taking pity on a puppy that has sh#t on the carpet. You want to kill him, but you know it won't help!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soc...328780325.html
    Last edited by gastric; 12/01/2013 at 9:26 PM.

23. Thanks From:

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast