Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Stokes is about the only one and you rate him behind Connolly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Whelan slips the ball to Walter in the box, Walters touches it away from McAuley who swings wildly at him, taking him down...penalty. Walters drives the penalty low to Foster's right, but pretty central in the goal...Foster saves.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Another impressive performance from Walters tonight - the apparent ease with which he can control difficult aerial balls and bring the other attackers into the game, not to mention the power and pace he showed when turning his marker (and wrongly being called back for a foul) make him a seriously strong candidate for a starting place at Euro 2012. For as long as we are going to play long ball, we may as well start deploying a guy with the attributes to make it work. Doyle has slipped out of form and, like Long tonight, generally looks agonised and frustrated by the thankless job they have been entrusted with. Walters seems to make it work for himself. I have had this opinion brewing for some time now and decided to stay up after getting home from the game tonight to put (cyber) pen to (cyber) paper and write an article about it. All thoughts are more than welcome lads - have a read and see what you think: http://lysaghtb.wordpress.com/2012/0...ard-to-ignore/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Walters has impressed me every time he has played. He is probably more familiar with the long ball game because of the system Pulis employes at Stoke. I was surprised Long was played ahead of him tonight. However much as I like Trap I really thing we missed a chance to experiment last night.
    Always look on the bright side of life

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryPhelan View Post
    Another impressive performance from Walters tonight - the apparent ease with which he can control difficult aerial balls and bring the other attackers into the game, not to mention the power and pace he showed when turning his marker (and wrongly being called back for a foul) make him a seriously strong candidate for a starting place at Euro 2012. For as long as we are going to play long ball, we may as well start deploying a guy with the attributes to make it work. Doyle has slipped out of form and, like Long tonight, generally looks agonised and frustrated by the thankless job they have been entrusted with. Walters seems to make it work for himself. I have had this opinion brewing for some time now and decided to stay up after getting home from the game tonight to put (cyber) pen to (cyber) paper and write an article about it. All thoughts are more than welcome lads - have a read and see what you think: http://lysaghtb.wordpress.com/2012/0...ard-to-ignore/
    I agree. I think he's the most comfortable under the long ball since Quinn. And Quinn and Keane were a great partnership. He can control the ball well under the high ball and hold it up and bring others into the play really really well
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    With Doyle not up to his previous standard the question has to be asked could a Walters/Keane partnership work.

Is Walters your classic big man (how good is he in the air)

Can Walters do it consistently and can he do it from the start of games ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I think Walters could be close to starting. I also think he's going to be our 'impact' player of the tournament, whether he starts or not. Don't think the opposition will be overly familiar with him, but he unsettles defences everywhere. Potential to link up with Keane for maximum impact.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think Walters should start. Considering how deep our defence and midfield play, no often than not when we get the ball its sent long to the strikers. Long and Keane as good as they are, arent the greatest at taking those balls down. Who is? But Walters is certainly more proficient at it. Again impressed by him the other night, has had a solid season in the EPL as well. Personally I would have long as an impact player in the last 20 mins.

Will Trap bring 5 strikers to the Euros? Keane, Doyle, Long, Cox and Walters. Suppose Long could be used as a winger if needed. Hard to leave any of the above 5 out. On Ireland form, the lowest down the list imo would be Doyle.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I think Walters should start. Considering how deep our defence and midfield play, no often than not when we get the ball its sent long to the strikers. Long and Keane as good as they are, arent the greatest at taking those balls down. Who is? But Walters is certainly more proficient at it. Again impressed by him the other night, has had a solid season in the EPL as well. Personally I would have long as an impact player in the last 20 mins.

Will Trap bring 5 strikers to the Euros? Keane, Doyle, Long, Cox and Walters. Suppose Long could be used as a winger if needed. Hard to leave any of the above 5 out. On Ireland form, the lowest down the list imo would be Doyle.
    Think he will and sacrafice a midfielder to bring all 5. Walters can play deeper as well and tends to for Stoke. Still listed as a midfielder on Fantasy Football for some reason!

I'd personally start him ahead of Doyle at the moment as well.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'll be amazed if he doesn't take 5 forwards. Barring injury it'll be Keane, Doyle, Long, Cox and Walters. I'd start Walters too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Trap will sacrifice a defender as back up to Ward.. O'Dea and Kelly have played LB for him and O'Shea has plenty of experience there.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Walters puts Stoke 1-0 against Bolton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Well two goals fly in at the same time, ball up to Crouch, Etherington whips in a cross, bounces off Walters' chest Bogdan basically has it in his arms but Walters doesnt gives up, runs in to Bogdan and it ends up in the net.

EDIT: Another chance there for Walters, ball comes in to him in the box about 15 yards out. Turning, controls with the right and tries to curl it in with the left...just wide.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 13/05/2012 at 2:28 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Another goal for Walters
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Another one for Walters, this time a penalty. Missed the infraction that led to it, but Walters ripped it low to the keeper's right to score against his old club and possibly send them down.
    My Guarantee

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    It looked like Bolton were staying up at the moment when Joey Barton decided to put on an exhibition of thuggery and QPR seemed destined for meltdown. Would have been nice to see Owen Coyle remain in the Premiership but he has a big rebuilding job to do there anyway, may as well do it in the Championship.

Fair play to Walters though. Some confidence has surely been gained from that brace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It looked like Bolton were staying up at the moment when Joey Barton decided to put on an exhibition of thuggery and QPR seemed destined for meltdown. Would have been nice to see Owen Coyle remain in the Premiership but he has a big rebuilding job to do there anyway, may as well do it in the Championship.

Fair play to Walters though. Some confidence has surely been gained from that brace.
    the first walters goal was a foul to be fair to Bolton. keeper had the ball in both hands but good to see walters getting in there in the first place.

on a side note i have sympathy with barton on this one. Tevez hits out first and then falls like a complete panzy with the slightest touch from Barton. He shouldnt have kicked out at aguero but my blood would be boiling too if i had been sent off for the first incident.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I was thinking fair play to barton, if you are going to get sent off then you might as well make it worth it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I was thinking fair play to barton, if you are going to get sent off then you might as well make it worth it.
    i think bartons intention was to get one of the city players sent off with him by continuing the agro. i saw him quoted today as saying that one of his teammates said it to him just after his red was shown

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    on a side note i have sympathy with barton on this one. Tevez hits out first and then falls like a complete panzy with the slightest touch from Barton. He shouldnt have kicked out at aguero but my blood would be boiling too if i had been sent off for the first incident.
    Tevez should have been sent off too but Barton swung an elbow at his throat. That can really hurt. Barton should have done what he did on the first day of the season when Gervinho breathed in his general direction and dived to the ground feigning injury.

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast