Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Presidential Election

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Fairly damning column by Waters in the Times today - it could be the denial rather than the content that does for his campaign.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...298323687.html
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Fairly damning column by Waters in the Times today - it could be the denial rather than the content that does for his campaign.

Journalists will always stick up for each other.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    Journalists will always stick up for each other.
    No doubt, and I'm certainly no fan of Waters. However, Norris would want to be pretty sure that a tape still doesn't exist, if he's going to carry on denying it.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    I read that this morning, and the first thing that struck me was that Waters was doing his best to take himself out of the firing line. Acting with editorial rigour - despite being only a consultant editor to a young, inexperienced editor - trusting the journalist who he knew by reputation only, concern for a political figure (this is the guy who published a foul-mouthed Haughey interview in Hotpress!), not wanting to publicise a dynamite story... Magill would have killed for a big story like that to boost circulation!!

I notice that he covers himself by saying that he only saw extracts from the interview - not the full transcript, and never heard the recording. Maybe I'm cynical where Waters is concerned, but I find that if I disagree with what he writes then usually all is right in my world!

So much speculation. But it's four days since Joe Duffy, and HLB still hasn't released any tapes. I'm surmising that she's turning the attic upside down looking for them, or they no longer exist, or somebody's sitting on them waiting for a more opportune moment. Time will tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

A real horror story! I've often delivered parcels to John Waters house in Castleknock, he has stuck me as a pure gentleman, if he has abnormal information on Norris, he is doing right to inform the public.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    No doubt, and I'm certainly no fan of Waters. However, Norris would want to be pretty sure that a tape still doesn't exist, if he's going to carry on denying it.
    Personally I think the "I haven't got something to play it on" is pretty damning in and of itself, and shows the level of intelligence and/or snakiness involved. Someone out there has a player, hand the damn thing over and prove it or stfu, imho.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Half remembered interviews from 10 years ago and a mislaid tape. If every candidate expressed their opinions honestly and openly none of them would get a vote. The text of the interview reads risqué at best, there is nothing to suggest David Norris endorses paedophilia.

The timing of this is suspect to say the least. He ran for the senate 3 times since that interview and the restaurant critic decides to bring it up now.

If he gets on the ballot he will still get a high % of the vote, maybe not over 51% but he wont be far off. Pat Cox is too close to the EU & the Lisbon Treaty still and with quite a bit of anti-EU feeling about I think he may struggle although it looks as though FG want him to run.

FF have no credible candidate as far as I can see. Its a pity Fergus Finlay probably wont get on the ballot. I like him since he went from Labour press secretary to charity work, I think he would make a very good President but would possibly be too politicised for the Governments liking.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Has anybody here actually read the Magill article? I'm surprised that if it's as damning as HLB claims that it hasn't been reprinted somewhere since Tuesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    Half remembered interviews from 10 years ago and a mislaid tape.
    She says she has the tape, but not a machine to play it on. Presumably no-one else in the entire world has one either.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The entire piece was read by Pat Kenny the other morning I thought (unless I misheard it). It is quite blunt in parts, a little creepy though the ending is extremely positive for David Norris. I think the bit that really is the grist to the mill is him saying he'd have appreciated or liked an ancient Greek scenario in his life where an older gay man would introduce him to the ways of the world, gay style. Now he frankly stated he'd have liked this, to Pat Kenny, though Greek style would have been slightly more on the paedophilic side than what would be deemed acceptable.

I've always found David Norris personable, intelligent and progressive. It'll only really be pushed that he fought for gay rights, Joyce and Georgian Dublin, though he has done so much more and still does. I will vote for him, though I'm beginning to wonder if get progressively more shrill and obnoxious as Joan Burton did before the election.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    In the case of the 'Magill' interview with Helen Lucy Burke, it would have to be wondered why he didn't begin, or even threaten, legal action at the time. Her tape of the interview is now missing but would obviously still have been in existence then.

Norris was one of the very few people to defend poet Cathal O Searcaigh over the nature of his relationships with teenagers in Nepal.

I'm pretty sure he will not be the next president of Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Be interesting to run a poll on Foot.ie, given the subject matter and associated stereotypes. Is the candidate list complete yet?
    Not yet, but unless some complete unknown declares, everyone has pretty much ruled themselves in or out. Most likely Máiread McGuinness for FG, now that Kelly and Bruton have withdrawn, FF seem to be backing away from running anyone, could possibly get behind Gallagher. Can't see the Norris controversy lasting until October, in any case the four Dublin councils will see him on the ballot paper - if it does affect him, Michael D will probably benefit most.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Sam Smyth giving the HLB article some balanced coverage on TodayFM right now. Dunphy's show on NewsTalk is just one step short of looking for a rope and a convenient lamp post. I swear, if John Waters voice keeps going up and up with blustery anger only dogs will be able hear him.... Robert Fisk doing his best to be impartial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Waters is on Dunphy defending his position. He said that he asked HLB to run the interview by Norris several times as he thought it would kill Norris' career.

Hmmmmm... that doesn't sit right...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It is clear that the Norris campaign had the momentum of an express train, before it has been derailed so spectacularly.

Mr Norris himself believes that the re-emergence of the Magill article was carefully orchestrated and designed to cause him maximum damage.

However, the truth is that the article has been bandied around the information super highway for months. Last October, a site wholly dedicated to opposing Mr Norris was set up.

Mr Norris describes Pope John Paul II as "an instrument of evil".

I can see where John Waters is coming from he is a deeply religious man.
    Last edited by Hurt Locker; 05/06/2011 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurt Locker View Post
    Last October, a site wholly dedicated to opposing Mr Norris was set up.
    You have a link for this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    You have a link for this?
    HTH

http://www.davidnorris4president.com/

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Martin McAleese might get FG nomination here
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Her tape of the interview is now missing but would obviously still have been in existence then.
    This is the second time you've stated this. I watched her claim on RTE last week that she had a copy of the tape but not a player for it. Do you have evidence for your claim to the contrary?

That site is run by the Burkes btw, nutjobs plain and true. Equating that with "bandying around the web" is like saying there's a wellspring of support for killing jews, because you read it on st0rmfr0nt.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 05/06/2011 at 1:26 PM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Mr Norris describes Pope John Paul II as "an instrument of evil".
    Erm... a lot of terrible stuff happened on JP II's watch which the church facilitated.. I think Mr Norris has a pretty reasonable view here. On the other hand the church is rushing through his transition to sainthood.

So not so surprising that RC hardliners would take every opportunity to attack somebody like Norris.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast