Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Delaney being smoked out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Big swing there was a shortfall in premium ticket sales mainly due to the countrys economic woes. Delaney and the FAI have no control over the economy...
    At €12-32,000 a pop, it was blindingly obvious that the prices were wrong even for the good times. And when the good times went bad, they became catastrophically wrong. Don't blame the economy for poor pricing by the FAI.

And then there's the question of whether they were offered a guaranteed figures for the tickets.

, and the FAI dont have the luxury of the elite upper class clique who control the mindset & marketing spend of most large companies that the IRFU have to fall back on.
    Take the chip off your shoulder Mario, and stop trying to argue with facts. The IRFU shifted their tickets as they were much more sensibly priced - a blanket €15k is less than HALF what the FAI were looking for their top tickets. Trying to claim the difference in sales that resulted is down to some sort of class stratification is just bullsh!t. And you're bonkers if you think those who run the marketing budgets in large companies are mostly upper class.

Most of these issues would be better reported on in business section rather the footie hacks stiring sh1te and trying to make a name for themselves.
    This is a big story for football full stop. The FAI is now in a financial position where they can't prioritise the good of Irish football, and instead need to focus on raking in cash. That is a potential disaster for the game here. Dismissing this arrogantly as just being about some uppity reporter trying to promote themselves is at best naive. There is a big issue here. Stop trying to bury your head in the sand.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    John Delaney was a failed businessman before he knifed Fran Rooney to fulfil his father's prophecy of gaining revenge against those who caught him for the ticket scams of the 80's and 90's. He is a major reason why football is not progressing as it should in Ireland and it has been said time and again that he has to go - but he won't, the man has no honour or integrity.
    Dead on summary Spud
    Also a major FF crony as well, least we forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I think Delaney is doing a decent job.

Re what Steve said -
    Delaney, the man u fan, has saddled the FAI with a huge debt, has done little or nothing for the LOI, and football in ireland is a laughing stock (compared to the rugby and Gah)
    Yeah great job!!!

4. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think Delaney is doing a decent job.

Big swing there was a shortfall in premium ticket sales mainly due to the countrys economic woes. Delaney and the FAI have no control over the economy, and the FAI dont have the luxury of the elite upper class clique who control the mindset & marketing spend of most large companies that the IRFU have to fall back on.

When it comes to this type of story, I hate to see the media driving the story rather than reporting on it.

Most of these issues would be better reported on in business section rather the footie hacks stiring sh1te and trying to make a name for themselves.

The Delaney spin has obviously caught some people in the web.

Couple of points here.

If Vantage had been launched earlier while the economy still had legs, like the IRFU, perhaps people with cash might have shelled out. Why was it not launched earlier? Perhaps cos Delaney's man, Stan, was in charge.

A CEO in any company, never mind one on 400k per year, would have seen the writing on the wall shortly after the launch and done something about it i.e. reduced prices.

In contrast, he's continued to tell the nation that paying 32k is value for money and no reductions would take place.

It was only after the Sunday Tribune recently set them up and they offered an up-front discount of 30% did they finally admit such arrangements were in place.

I'm a football fan and don't want to have to read the business pages in order to find out how badly the governing body is running the game.

This misjudged tactic is going to have huge repercussions at all levels of the game down to kids, and for many years to come.

All because the CEO's ego wouldn't allow him to admit he messed up on pricing.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    John Delaney was a failed businessman before he knifed Fran Rooney to fulfil his father's prophecy of gaining revenge against those who caught him for the ticket scams of the 80's and 90's. He is a major reason why football is not progressing as it should in Ireland and it has been said time and again that he has to go - but he won't, the man has no honour or integrity.
    I'm no fan of delaneys but need to point out that he is anything but a failed business man and is in fact a self made millionaire... as for him replacing Rooney.. IMO that was a good thing as IMO Rooney was useless and appeared to be more interested in making as much for himslef from the FAI as possible (e.g. his reported attempt to be paid a % of monies made from FAI merchandising/sponsorship deals which
    could of generated millions for him).

So have no problem with the general thrust of comments being critical of JD but spare us the inaccurate stuff.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    I'm no fan of delaneys but need to point out that he is anything but a failed business man and is in fact a self made millionaire... as for him replacing Rooney.. IMO that was a good thing as IMO Rooney was useless and appeared to be more interested in making as much for himslef from the FAI as possible (e.g. his reported attempt to be paid a % of monies made from FAI merchandising/sponsorship deals which

So have no problem with the general thrust of comments being critical of JD but spare us the inaccurate stuff.
    Bit of a contradiction there then
    Papa might have had a hand in all this, plus FF cronyism. Self made corruption more like

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Bit of a contradiction there then
    Papa might have had a hand in all this, plus FF cronyism. Self made corruption more like
    I can't how what I said is in any way inaccurate, can you explain ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    for me the real issue is why the media continuously look for negative stories to write about in our game in this country and never seem to attack the GAA or IRFU in the same way. that is not to say that there is no story here but its the constant rush to portray soccer in a bad light that can **** me off.
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    FULL TEXT OF FAI STATEMENT:

The Football Association of Ireland today (September 9) reconfirmed, following its AGM last month, that sales of Vantage seats, including sponsor commitments have surpassed 6,300. At the recent match against Andorra the number of Vantage seats occupied on premium level was 6,900 and the overall attendance at the match against Andorra, the bottom seeds in the group, was third highest at all UEFA qualification matches taking place that day in Europe. Claims made in this morning's Irish Independent about a ticket fiasco are unfounded

The Irish Independent reported that Mr. David Blood, had stated that an offer was made by a third party to the FAI of €75m to bear all risk from the Vantage Sales Process. The Board of Management of the FAI this morning confirms categorically that the Board never rejected any such offer and David Blood acknowledged this to be the case.

This morning's Irish Independent also claimed that a number of Vantage seats have been cancelled. The Football Association of Ireland can confirm that these account for less than 100 seats in total. The Association has less than 4,000 seats available to sell on premium level and that the 6,300 figure reported at the AGM took account of this small number of cancellations.

The FAI also wishes to clarify that existing ten year ticket holders who purchased in 2004 and 2006 have paid for their ten year tickets in full and it is incorrect to claim that they have not paid for their tickets in the stadium.

The FAI has met all of its contributions to the €411m Aviva stadium which it jointly owns with the IRFU. In close consultation with its banking partners, the FAI has put in place detailed business plans that will see it debt free by 2020, while continuing to fund the development and growth of the sport at grassroots.

The Association's business plans, backed by record levels of turnover and a commercial portfolio which as (sic) trebled in the past five years will give the FAI a debt free status from 2020. These business plans have been agreed in close consultation with our banking partners who are comfortable with our seat sales and revenues.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Delaney's fingerprints are all over that statement. Half addressing the issues raised as usual.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

statement avoids the issue

as usual and for anyone who questions will be highlighted as hurlers on the ditch, naysayers etc.

What has happened to the financial controller at the fai?

The association €32million in debt is fast becoming a sporting anglo irish bank / dail eireann slush fund and the boys are creaming it. Everyone else will have to pick up the tab
    Last edited by geezer; 09/09/2010 at 1:50 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts

Calcio Jack, he IS a failed businessman, count the number of companies he's touched that have gone to the wall. He's certainly not a self made millionaire and if you dig just a little into his background you'll see what kind of person he is. What I posted is not inaccurate, it is factual, to the point and is not what we want for the person tasked with running football in Ireland. The lies spouted about Fran Rooney came from.....John Delaney, who had a serious hand in his downfall and who repeatedly disappeared when questions were asked. Rooney was/is a self made millionaire and somebody who contributed to the game in Ireland before and during his tenure as CEO. I'm not a falg waving supporter of his, but he never stood a chance in Merrion Square where Delaney was lined up to takeover the CEO spot, but was banned from holding such a company position, so he waited until Rooney was pushed out and leapt in, if you remember the furore over the manner in which Delaney was handed the job - the FAI had to be threatened with funding removal before they advertised the post instead of just letting Delaney Junior take the reins.

The sooner the man is gone and a clean up of the FAI takes place the better off football will be in Ireland. The Financial Officer didn't quit for no good reason.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Horrible statement, if they had the courage of their conviction they would have left their response to that given to the Indo (in other words, we told you the truth, now leave us alone). The ISG situation is going to haunt them, this is where the story will turn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    How many of these tickets were sold by King Johns errand boy, wearing out the tyres on his (free) car travelling the length and breath of the country flogging to junior clubs at big discounts, sucking money out of the grassroots of the game to feed the big hole at the top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Calcio Jack, he IS a failed businessman, count the number of companies he's touched that have gone to the wall. He's certainly not a self made millionaire and if you dig just a little into his background you'll see what kind of person he is. What I posted is not inaccurate, it is factual, to the point and is not what we want for the person tasked with running football in Ireland. The lies spouted about Fran Rooney came from.....John Delaney, who had a serious hand in his downfall and who repeatedly disappeared when questions were asked. Rooney was/is a self made millionaire and somebody who contributed to the game in Ireland before and during his tenure as CEO. I'm not a falg waving supporter of his, but he never stood a chance in Merrion Square where Delaney was lined up to takeover the CEO spot, but was banned from holding such a company position, so he waited until Rooney was
    pushed out and leapt in, if you remember the furore over the manner in which Delaney was handed the job - the FAI had to be threatened with funding removal before they advertised the post instead of just letting Delaney Junior take the reins.

The sooner the man is gone and a clean up of the FAI takes place the better off football will be in Ireland. The Financial Officer didn't quit for no good reason.
    First off neither of us is an apologist for either JD or FR... but I have to disagree with you re Delaney as he is a self made millionaire...as for FR again have to disagree with you as (1) he blew it with Baltimore albeit he walked with some money for himself but that's another days debate and (2) what happened to him within the FAI was brought on by himself albeit he was unlucky to encounter forces that were as good as if not better than him when it came to "self entitlement" ..... so basically they are both the type that deserve each other but not the type I like to see running the game here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    First off neither of us is an apologist for either JD or FR... but I have to disagree with you re Delaney as he is a self made millionaire...as for FR again have to disagree with you as (1) he blew it with Baltimore albeit he walked with some money for himself but that's another days debate and (2) what happened to him within the FAI was brought on by himself albeit he was unlucky to encounter forces that were as good as if not better than him when it came to "self entitlement" ..... so basically they are both the type that deserve each other but not the type I like to see running the game here.
    But thats not true really, he came from a monied background? True/false?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    But thats not true really, he came from a monied background? True/false?
    True he came from a decent background ( not a hugely monied though) but false that that is where he got his money from as he made it himself so guess we'll have to agree to disagree

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Much is made of the FAI's debt. Is there not an asset on the other side of the balance sheet? I'm in lots of debt, but I have a house too.

I'm not a Delaney apologist, though I'm far less negative about him than I was a few years ago, but surely the nature of the job means that only a smart politician can ever possibly expect any kind of tenure?

By all accounts Delaney was instrumental in securing the Europa League final for Dublin. Estimates are probably vastly inflated but Dublin Chamber of Commerce reckons an economic impact to the Dublin econopmy of EUR 100mm. I'm surprised that dcfc Steve thinks it's wrong that he should earn more than the Taoiseach. Perhaps the office of Taoiseach is underpaid, versus private sector or even other public service salaries? Have recent Taoiseagh been deserving of their incomes anyway?

I also understand that his EUR 430k pa salary is very much at the high end, if not the very top, of the range of national association CEOs across Europe. This doesn't sit well with me.

Did Genesis really kill the LOI, or is it public apathy & cronies like Cork City's owners?

You'd swear Delaney was some form of aristocrat based on some comments here. So what if he is anyway? It's his fitness for office that's the issue, not his previous career, education, family background etc.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Much is made of the FAI's debt. Is there not an asset on the other side of the balance sheet? I'm in lots of debt, but I have a house too.
    What if you can't pay your mortgage?

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Tell me about it! The size of the debt, not the cost of servicing it, has been the focus of all the attention though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast