Thread: Getting to Lansdowne Road

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Getting to Lansdowne Road

Hi lads,

I'm driving up to the game next Tuesday from Limerick and I was wondering would ye recomment parking at the Red Cow Luas. Because we went up to the Argentina game and it was nightmare getting across Dublin in the car.

I saw that the Luas will bring you to the point from the Red Cow now, is that far a walk to Lansdowne Road?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    You can connect to the Dart from the red line of the Luas at Connelly station, though I'd imagine the DART is extremely busy on match day. It is a bit of a walk from town, but a southbound 46A bus from O'Connell St (which the red line crosses on Abbey St) will take you to the Donnybrook Bus Garage, which is a more reasonable walk - down Anglesea Road to Ballsbridge, then along Shelbourne Road and Lansdowne Road.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Here is an option for you, at the red cow, take the turn off for the M50 Southbound, keep going until the sandyford exit. Drive to the luas stop at sandyford, plenty of parking there, hop on the luas as far as ranelagh (takes about 10-15 mins) and walk from there. Its about a 20 min walk for Ranelagh to LR. Its still a bit of a roundabout way of getting there but traffic shouldnt be an issue for you at all and the walk from ranelagh to LR is a bit shorter than the walk you would have if you got the luas to the point and walked from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Here is an option for you, at the red cow, take the turn off for the M50 Southbound, keep going until the sandyford exit. Drive to the luas stop at sandyford, plenty of parking there, hop on the luas as far as ranelagh (takes about 10-15 mins) and walk from there. Its about a 20 min walk for Ranelagh to LR. Its still a bit of a roundabout way of getting there but traffic shouldnt be an issue for you at all and the walk from ranelagh to LR is a bit shorter than the walk you would have if you got the luas to the point and walked from there.
    That's the way I'd go too. Once you're at the Red Cow luas I'd say you'll be in Sandyford P+R in 15 mins, and a quicker Luas journey too with a nice walk. Much better option.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Thanks for the responses lads. Is there a Park and Ride at Sandyford? Is it easy to find once you take the Southbound route at the Red Cow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Thanks for the responses lads. Is there a Park and Ride at Sandyford? Is it easy to find once you take the Southbound route at the Red Cow?
    its in the industrial estate. just follow the luas signs. basically off the M50 at sandyford and take a right at the beacon hospital crossroads. then its straight down past the car showrooms along your left side and you'll see the carpark straight ahead. can be quite full but there is a new private carpark on the left hand side just as you arrive at the official carpark (if you go the route i suggest)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz
    Hi lads,

I'm driving up to the game next Tuesday from Limerick and I was wondering would ye recomment parking at the Red Cow Luas. Because we went up to the Argentina game and it was nightmare getting across Dublin in the car.

I saw that the Luas will bring you to the point from the Red Cow now, is that far a walk to Lansdowne Road?

Thanks in advance
    Wherever you're going, get there asap. The traffic in every direction from the Red Cow is of car park material from 5pm onwards on an international night. Even getting to the M50 turnoffs is a struggle, and the M50 is always liable to long delays at rush hour too. The best option is to get to the Red Cow before 5pm, park there, hop on the Luas and you'll be in the city by 6, from there you've about 90 minutes to find a DART to get to the game.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    We've decided on the following - get to the Red Cow before 5, park at Red Cow and take the Luas to the Point and walk to Lansdowne Road from there. It says on AA route that it's 1.5 miles from the point stop to LR which isn't too bad.

Just wondering has anyone walked from that Luas stop to LR? How long has it taken?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    We've decided on the following - get to the Red Cow before 5, park at Red Cow and take the Luas to the Point and walk to Lansdowne Road from there. It says on AA route that it's 1.5 miles from the point stop to LR which isn't too bad.

Just wondering has anyone walked from that Luas stop to LR? How long has it taken?
    Havent walked it but I would say around 30 mins. If you are in the East stand the access routes have changed so give plenty of time (add an extra 10 mins, they now bring you down Herbert lane (?) i think it is).