Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sean McCaffrey

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    It seems a few people on here have some sort of connection to McCaffrey and are here to defend him. I don't see a big problem with the change. It was certainly reported that McCaffrey was at the end of his contract, he's been in the post for years and has had moderate success, Kovermans was tasked with overseeing the development of the underage system from the top down, this included working closely with all of the underage managers, it's quite possible he didn't see eye to eye with McCaffrey so under the remit of his own job he would be required to appoint a coach he felt comfortable working with.

The wisdom of the decision will be judged on the medium and long term success of the underage teams.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 09/09/2010 at 9:21 AM. Reason: Speed reading and made a boo boo

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    4 months was referred to here, I don't think 4 years was mentioned.
    McCaffrey was not sacked.
    It is all well and good to make a case for renewal of McCaffrey's contract or make a case for him to be offered another job if available.
    But what we have seen here is some posters come to support McCaffrey and throw in ignorant, anti foreigner, innaccurate and general nonsense about Koevermans,
    so much so that there can be no merit in anything they write.
    McCaffrey deserves better than those moronic posts.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    4 months was referred to here, I don't think 4 years was mentioned.
    McCaffrey was not sacked.
    It is all well and good to make a case for renewal of McCaffrey's contract or make a case for him to be offered another job if available.
    But what we have seen here is some posters come to support McCaffrey and throw in ignorant, anti foreigner, innaccurate and general nonsense about Koevermans,
    McCaffrey deserves better than those moronic posts.

Fired four months before contract end is not sacked? Are you more into FAI parlance of 'mutual consent' then, a la Stan?

Go back to bed Mr. Abbotstown, you could do with the sleep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Every decision made by the FAI is going to be open for debate on an Irish football forum. I don't think we should automatically assume because he's Dutch he can improve our fortunes. Koevermans needs to adapt to Irish football as much as Irish football needs to adapt to his ideas.

Don Givens constantly stated throughout his time in charge that his job description was player development rather than results oriented. Should we assume that McCaffrey's job description was any different? And with this in mind, can we say McCaffrey under-performed in his role? The fact that the FAI chose to simple state that they felt it was time for change after 7 years isn't really a sufficient reason to get rid of McCaffrey.

But I'm willing to give Wim Koevermans the benefit of doubt for the time being. Only time will tell if the decision to get rid of McCaffrey was the right decision to make.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I am not anti foreigner - However the FAI have always run with the idea that if you speak with a foreign accent be it English or Dutch you are a far superior coach

There are numerous Irish coaches who could do a far superior job.

As for Koevermans - I am of the opinion that we have far superior people here in Ireland capable of doing his Job but unfortunately they speak with a Dublin, Northern or Country accent.

Yes I am a fan of Mc Caffrey - And I think that he could still play a huge roll in the development of young players in this Country. With the knowledge of our players and foreign players that he has I think it is a shame for it to be wasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    The FAI also hired Brian Kerr and Steve Staunton for the senior jobs. Look how that turned out. The remit is not to get 'Irish' or 'foreign' coaches - it is to get the best men available, and Koevermans has a decent CV, having managed several clubs in Holland and being the Dutch youth manager for six years. How many Irish coaches are there who have managed clubs and worked in international youth management? Probably only Brian Kerr and (at a stretch) Pat Fenlon.

If we had Stephen Kenny, Fenlon or Damien Richardson in the post (as U-21 manager or technical director), they might bring baggage or loyalties with certain players, or be more favourably disposed to players/staff from certain clubs. It also wouldn't stop fans from complaining or dragging up dirt, as was the case when Pat Devlin was involved in the senior set-up. If we appointed an ex-international like, say, Kenny Cunningham or Ronnie Whelan, we'd be moaning about them having no experience, like Staunton. It's best to hire someone who has no prior attachments, who can come in without bias or prejudice, to run the rule over our players with an objective view. It also helps if they have a pedigree in the game, which Koevermans does. Anyway, let's wait and see. It's a job for long-term results, which aren't going to be quantifiable for a long time to come.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Honn View Post
    Fired four months before contract end is not sacked? Are you more into FAI parlance of 'mutual consent' then, a la Stan?

Go back to bed Mr. Abbotstown, you could do with the sleep.
    Not having a contract renewed is not sacked.

Bore off with your dumb "Mr Abbotstown" references. One can offer objective support for some aspects of the FAI's work without being an FAI sychophant. I think it's obvious you're the one struggling to be objective.

I've met McCaffrey. Very nice guy. Is he the right man for the job and to roll out the FAI's plans? I've absolutely no idea. Someone like Wim Koevermans is much better placed than any of us to decide.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Drawer View Post
    I am not anti foreigner - However the FAI have always run with the idea that if you speak with a foreign accent be it English or Dutch you are a far superior coach

There are numerous Irish coaches who could do a far superior job.

As for Koevermans - I am of the opinion that we have far superior people here in Ireland capable of doing his Job but unfortunately they speak with a Dublin, Northern or Country accent.
    Here, yesterday you admitted you didn't even know what his job description was.

Today you've decided there are "far superior" people in this country capable of doing his job, despite the fact you still don't appear to know what his job is. Yet you claim you're not biased against foreigners (even though you "have no time" for them).

I have nothing against McCaffrey and think he's done a better job than anyone else (barring Noel King) at underage level since Brian Kerr, but the fact is we haven't qualified for anything in seven years and the coach is ultimately responsible for results on the pitch. Noticing this doesn't make Koevermans the most perceptive man in the world, nor does it make him Hitler.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    but the fact is we haven't qualified for anything in seven years and the coach is ultimately responsible for results on the pitch. .
    Incorrect. 2008 U17 European Championships.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    The FAI would not be the first (poss the last) to recognise that the Dutch have something to offer underage development.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    He is in temporary care of the u21´s where he has been responsible for the capping of the most LOI players in one competitive international, at least that I can remember

Try Ireland v Turkey Under 21 Qualifier March 2009

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Doolin to take over as Ireland U-19 manager

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...r-2347633.html

No comment.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Doolin to take over as Ireland U-19 manager

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...r-2347633.html

No comment.
    jesus, in that case Id expect Roddy to get the u17s job next
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    I'm slightly surprised by that appointment, but I'm not disappointed. I'd like to know what other candidates were considered.
    Doolin's appointment can only be a good thing for locally-based players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Doolin's appointment is based on his hard work in youth football. In his time managing UCD, several underage and non-professional teams were able to play to the same level...
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    I regret to announce the sad passing of former under 17 and under 19 manager Sean McCaffrey. RIP.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Wonderful article from Malachy Clerkin on McCaffrey in the Irish Times: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ltic-1.3347667

20. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    A pedantic gripe I have is "Sean McCaffrey: he brought teams from United, Liverpool and Ajax to Monaghan". What does he mean "from United" ? Drogheda, Newcastle, Sheffied, Galway, West Ham, Torquay etc etc.??
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

22. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123