Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sean McCaffrey

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Going out on a limb here, but maybe geysir is impressed by what Koevermans has actually said rather than what journalists have written about him.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Cant say I know McCaffreys record particularly well, but I had the impression that he had done reasonably well. Certainly better than the Don had anyways. Didnt he get the U17s or U19s to a Euros a year or two ago. Almost certain he was managing that team, they played France in their first game of the competition.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Cant say I know McCaffreys record particularly well, but I had the impression that he had done reasonably well. Certainly better than the Don had anyways. Didnt he get the U17s or U19s to a Euros a year or two ago. Almost certain he was managing that team, they played France in their first game of the competition.
    Yes he did, qualfied with the Under 17s. A gentleman and an excellent coach, I am disappointed for Sean and wish him every success in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    He got givens out of our second most important team - thats a good step in my head!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I thought the last decade was pretty barrren in terms of underage football. It was great that the U17s qualified but that was the exception. U21s was a disaster, U19s were just as bad. I'm sure Sean did good work and is a great guy (I hear that from people who know him) but sometimes a change just shakes things up a bit.

Whatever happened to Gerry Smyth, the guy who qualified for the U20 WC in 2003? Stephen Elliott, Keith Fahey, Stephen Kelly, Brian Murphy and others were in that side I think.

I think it's so funny how on this thread and others (FAI ticket ofice...) it's just assumed the FAI is crap from top to bottom and any initiative taken to improve things is also rubbish. I know for a fact that the Scots are applauding our appointment of a Dutchman to oversee youth development.

7. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Gerry Smyth didn't qualify us for the U20 World Cup - Brian Kerr did. Smyth was drafted in after Kerr was promoted to the senior squad.

9. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    but maybe geysir is impressed by what Koevermans has actually said rather than what journalists have written about him
    Maybe he is just a bull s****er 100% record

We could have left Givens in the job saved a fortune (Koevermans wages) and be in the same position

Anybody reading my posts will see that I have no time for these foreigners - Just because you play for Holland or does not make you a genius. We as a nation have a horrible knack of "putting our own down"

There are plenty of good quality coaches around the Ireland who are Irish born and have far superior qualities that the ones we have brought in.

11. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Koevermans' job involves far more than hiring and firing managers...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What else has he done? or what else is he supposed to do?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Here's his orginal remit. Whether it's changed since 2008 or not, I've no idea.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...ive&Itemid=355

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Drawer View Post
    Maybe he is just a bull s****er 100% record

We could have left Givens in the job saved a fortune (Koevermans wages) and be in the same position

Anybody reading my posts will see that I have no time for these foreigners - Just because you play for Holland or does not make you a genius. We as a nation have a horrible knack of "putting our own down"

There are plenty of good quality coaches around the Ireland who are Irish born and have far superior qualities that the ones we have brought in.
    A usual anti-foreigner rant with an inability to understand what thread he is on or even what Koeverman's job is about.
    But because he is a foreigner you mistrust him and his capability to do a job.

FYI,
    Koeverman is NOT employed as a coach.
    He has just hired a local coach to run the u21´s.
    He is in temporary care of the u21´s where he has been responsible for the capping of the most LOI players in one competitive international, at least that I can remember.
    Perhaps 1972 v Austria?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    A usual anti-foreigner rant with an inability to understand what thread he is on or even what Koeverman's job is about.
    But because he is a foreigner you mistrust him and his capability to do a job.

FYI,
    Koeverman is NOT employed as a coach.
    He has just hired a local coach to run the u21´s.
    He is in temporary care of the u21´s where he has been responsible for the capping of the most LOI players in one competitive international, at least that I can remember.
    Perhaps 1972 v Austria?

You're correct, as his hefty salary reflects, he's not employed as a coach - which makes his switch into that role for these two matches all the more ridiculous.

Overall, I would feel most people involved in Youth football around the country are peeved with the treatment dished out to McCaffrey by the Dutchman.

While he never had the charm or media savvy of his predecessor Brian Kerr, McCaffrey was a major influence on players coming through the system at an age when a multitude of things can mess us their heads. He had his own health problems a few years back but still managed to lead the U17s to the UEFA finals in Turkey as one of seven qualifiers (not 15 like the senior Euros).

To dump a man out on his ear after the season started and, unlike Givens, without any offer to remain on in a different role was out of order by Koevermans and shows the decision was personal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He took over as coach for a week and a half - it's hardly "ridiculous."

McCaffrey did a reasonable job but like our senior and U21 squads, his teams have underperformed over the last few years and ultimately he has to take responsibility.

The difference between Givens and McCaffrey is that Givens was still under contract when Koevermans removed him whereas McCaffrey's contract was due to expire. He was equally ruthless in both cases but it appears the cost-effective action in Givens' case was to re-assign him. I'm not advocate of cronyism and would rather have seen Givens removed from the set-up entirely, but I don't really see the benefit of giving McCaffrey a different role unless there was actually a vacant position he was suitable for.

I'm sure McCaffrey is a very nice bloke and a talented coach but one of the refreshing things about Koevermans' appointment in the first place was that it broke with the FAI tradition of giving people jobs as a reward for loyalty/past services/being a nice fella.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He took over as coach for a week and a half - it's hardly "ridiculous."

McCaffrey did a reasonable job but like our senior and U21 squads, his teams have underperformed over the last few years and ultimately he has to take responsibility.

The difference between Givens and McCaffrey is that Givens was still under contract when Koevermans removed him whereas McCaffrey's contract was due to expire. He was equally ruthless in both cases but it appears the cost-effective action in Givens' case was to re-assign him. I'm not advocate of cronyism and would rather have seen Givens removed from the set-up entirely, but I don't really see the benefit of giving McCaffrey a different role unless there was actually a vacant position he was suitable for.

I'm sure McCaffrey is a very nice bloke and a talented coach but one of the refreshing things about Koevermans' appointment in the first place was that it broke with the FAI tradition of giving people jobs as a reward for loyalty/past services/being a nice fella.

'of giving people jobs as a reward for loyalty/past services/being a nice fella,'

Do you not think Givens falls in this category?!

The clown's reward for an abysmal run of campaigns and litany of fall-out with players was not the sack but side-stepped into a cushy number. Getting the same money (or more, if rumours are to be believed) is hardly cost-effective.

By the way, McCaffrey had four months left on his contract when sacked. Givens' contract was due to expire shortly early in the new year as Delaney confirmed.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Honn View Post
    You're correct, as his hefty salary reflects, he's not employed as a coach - which makes his switch into that role for these two matches all the more ridiculous.

Overall, I would feel most people involved in Youth football around the country are peeved with the treatment dished out to McCaffrey by the Dutchman.

While he never had the charm or media savvy of his predecessor Brian Kerr, McCaffrey was a major influence on players coming through the system at an age when a multitude of things can mess us their heads. He had his own health problems a few years back but still managed to lead the U17s to the UEFA finals in Turkey as one of seven qualifiers (not 15 like the senior Euros).

To dump a man out on his ear after the season started and, unlike Givens, without any offer to remain on in a different role was out of order by Koevermans and shows the decision was personal.
    The slant of your reply is anti-foreigner, like the other poster. Your post reflects an ignorance and prejudice based on that he is a foreigner.
    Now the goalposts have shifted from the other posters wildly inaccurate moans about not promoting irish coaches, to that the foreigner took temporary charge of the u21s.
    A temporary duty, with which Koevermans is well capable of undertaking.
    When you are capable of some rational thought, maybe you might be able to have some rational opinions on how other people do their job without condescending regard to their nationality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Of course Givens falls in that category, but it's an achievement in itself that the FAI was willing to back Koevermans in getting rid of him, even if it was only on a bender to the UK. There were a lot of us who were afraid that Givens would be sitting in that U21 chair until he died of old age.

I didn't know the specifics of the contract situations, but I'd wager Givens was on a much higher salary and couple with pressure from his friends in the organisation it might have been a trade-off Koevermans had to make. It is a little harsh on McCaffrey but the fact is that if results improve markedly under the new managers then he'll quickly be forgotten.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Nowt to do with anti-foreigner, sure Trap's doing a great job.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Wouldnt bother arguing with the two FAI heads here Alf. I have them on my ignore list!!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Bizarre, words fail me.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'm sure you have some choice words floating about in your thoughts