Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOI fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    First game I ever went to was the '89 cup final against Cork. I was only four, so can barely remember the game or the replay that followed. Actually have much better memories of the friendlies against Spurs and Man City, which preceded the following season.

Favourite games are almost too numerous to mention: certainly the cup finals in '95 and '02, the league title victory game against St.Pats in '07, the away leg against Paris St.Germain. But for sheer drama, and for the memory of the Jungle, it has to be the relegation playoff against Harps in '03. My favourite game I didn't get to see was the '06 cup final. Was hungover, slept in, missed the bus and caught the final on TV only to watch one of the most astonishing games of football I ever should've seen live.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It'd be a shame to bin tcm's excellent reply. But any more comments on it will be binned. Obviously, if paul wants to start a new thread on it, he can.
    sorry i didnt mean to put it in that thread. i thought i was on a different thread. didnt really think it warrants its own one really though?! Most has been said before.

But start one up if you think it should be and see what people think of it.

I dont think the reaction should be to actually adhere to the stereotype, by using words or phrases that were part of the piece, its inverted snobbery at the end of the day. Whatever way you want to dress it up.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    sorry i didnt mean to put it in that thread. i thought i was on a different thread. didnt really think it warrants its own one really though?! Most has been said before.
    Fair enough; it's being discussed in the LoI v Man Utd thread at the moment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya thats where i thought i was. move it there so then.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Started with the same CSKA Kiev match as El Pietro in '98. Attended home games regularly once I learned to drive (Sunday afternoon kick-offs were a great excuse to steal my mother's car), and maybe one or two away games a season. Since returning from a year working abroad in 2006 I've missed three home games, one in the league. I've stepped up the away games as well in a bid to see every ground (four left to go).
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I have being going to matches since the 89-90 season in Abbeycartron when I went to the game with a few of the elder section o brigade when we played on sundays. I wasn't big into them but i went a few games a season but I wouldnt have a clue who the opposition players or even the majority of our own players!

I lived in Sligo in mid nineties and probably went to as many sligo games as I did longford. I suppose I really got into it in the 97/98 season under Mickey O'Connor. It was the 99/00 season around march when I went to my first away game. Since then I rarely miss a home game and go to practically 80-90% of the away games depending on any clashes.. this season I has missed two games and last year missed two games too. I have never gone to every game in a season yet but that will be done please god some day. I have being in all the grounds though ( including Shamrock Rovers in this as I went out to see what the ground looked like when they were in the process of constructing it nine years ago but I am really looking forward to Tallaght for attending it properly if we draw with Shamrock Rovers in the CUP!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Should be a good game in Flancare Park.Two clubs with good cup tradition. I'd take a draw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Started with the same CSKA Kiev match as El Pietro in '98. Attended home games regularly once I learned to drive (Sunday afternoon kick-offs were a great excuse to steal my mother's car), and maybe one or two away games a season. Since returning from a year working abroad in 2006 I've missed three home games, one in the league. I've stepped up the away games as well in a bid to see every ground (four left to go).
    I'm still upset about the late goal we gave away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Obviously I have nt been going to LOI games as long as some of the people in here due to the fact of who I support. Since Iv started to go to games Iv loved every minute of it. Feels really good to finally have a local team in the LOI.

The first year (2008) that fingal competed, I would have attended nearly all the home games in all comps and about 2 to 3 away games. The second year, I didnt miss a home game no matter what the competition and made it to about 10 away games. This year I have missed about 6 or 7 games in total. 3 of which where due to me being abroad.

My favourite moments from those 3 short years are the cup Final win (obviously), Beating Shels in the playoff/promotion last year and knocking Shamrock Rovers out of the Cup at Tallaght. And a special mention has to go to the cup game in our first year where we drew with pats 3-3 at Morton. What a great game of football that was
    Last edited by Lamper.sffc; 17/08/2010 at 9:17 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Was brought to my first City game in 1984 down at the Lodge but only saw a handful of games there. I started attending more regularly from 1986 onwards when City moved to the Cross. The move to Bishopstown tested my patience as it meant two bus trips, standing in the muck while trying to keep warm (couldn't afford to go into the stand back then), and watching 22 players trying to play on a bog. However I kept the faith and continue to attend every home game and try to make a couple of away trips per year. My only regret is that I didn't go on any one of the European trips around 2004/2005 as the Celtic Tiger wasn't that kind to me.
    "Garlic bread - it’s the future, I’ve tasted it."
    Brian Potter - Phoenix Nights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    First game was a 1-1 draw with Drogheda in 89/90. Went sporadically after that but started going regularly with my brother in law from 94-95 after we moved back to Richmond.

Had a couple of 100% seasons but that was because I was doing the kit and hadn't much of a choice!! First European game was 3-4 against Slovan Bratislava in '96 - I remember being really bitter only being allowed into the UEFA Cup that season despite being champions.

I've had by ups and down with attendances in the last couple of years but all in all probably only miss about 7 or 8 games per season. In the last few seasons my head is gone to mush with remembering incidents but go back ten years and I can nearly remember the line ups for games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Was being brought along in the early 70s as a toddler. Vague memories of knowing we had the greatest team in the world and were poised for extended domination when we won the league in 77 . . . er, moving swiftly on . . .
    There have been some great times but if pushed I'd have to pick the 83 cup run - Fago burying Shams in the Showgrounds, the amazing four-match semi against Cobh, and coming back from one down to beat Bohs in their backyard and win our first FAI cup having lost five finals. And with a goal to match the occasion . . .

"Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

14. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    First game circa 1990,cant rememebr who,just a nipper.

Favourite game, derry cup final 94. Special day,actually didnt get to old landsdown after that.

Favourite Showgrounds game was Brugge game same year 94. The whole build up to game was mesmorising. Brugge were littered with full internationals and we had some real stars in team too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDx89...layer_embedded#!

Got to nearly every game home and away that year as my old man was involved with club. some great memories. Geoghegan at Shams(i think) was my hero in those days,and Kenny,Annand with us. Really miss the soup we used get behind old shed end on a cold winters night, that your tongue would take weeks to recover from.

Got to alot of home games after that until 2000,when i was away in college and got brainwashed with local bogball which led to few years absense from showgies.

Have only started going to away games now aswell in last 2 years,as my college boozing came to an end and i dont have as many hangovers. Have missed 2 home games this season due to weddings and pats away ****anta cup due to local club committment. Got to albania last year,

Have got to all Ireland home games last 18mths approx,got to Bari,Sofia and Paris last year. have Armenia and Slovakia booked this year and hope to make all euro home games.

Get over to Anfield couple times a season.

Havnt missed a local junior club game in over 3 years league or cup.(It is possible)

Just back up thome his eve after lining our pitch with a liner that would break your soul and now on foot.

have rearranged local training this week so i can make pats game fri..

Am starting to get hope with the way were playing at mo. But after last year in paris and to fly back to head to Tallaght for cup final & with local club relegated that year too, Ive learned hope is a cruel entity

Yes its about time i had a long hard look at myself! therapist anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    Was being brought along in the early 70s as a toddler. Vague memories of knowing we had the greatest team in the world and were poised for extended domination when we won the league in 77 . . . er, moving swiftly on . . .
    There have been some great times but if pushed I'd have to pick the 83 cup run - Fago burying Shams in the Showgrounds, the amazing four-match semi against Cobh, and coming back from one down to beat Bohs in their backyard and win our first FAI cup having lost five finals. And with a goal to match the occasion . . .

It's weird seeing Dalymount with the full stand at the other side, and even weirder seeing it with people in it!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    This is probably pertinent, and certainly worth a read in any event in my opinion.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    First game was against Harps in the cup. Not sure what year, it could have been 1997 or 1998. I was only 5 or 6 at the time. I remember standing beside the shed, barely able to see over the railings and it was absolutley freezing. Harps won 2-1 iirc.

Been going to games regularly-ish since the early 2000's. Away games usually consisted of trips to Athlone's old ground St Mels Park, Ballybofey and Monaghan. Started going very regular in 05 the year we won the first division and the following year I started going to more and more away games. Today, I rarely miss any games, home or away, and experienced one of the best few days of my life in Albania last summer.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    been to a few at the old hogan park looked liked something out of beirut!!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ARooney28 View Post
    First game was against Harps in the cup. Not sure what year, it could have been 1997 or 1998. I was only 5 or 6 at the time. I remember standing beside the shed, barely able to see over the railings and it was absolutley freezing. Harps won 2-1 iirc.

Been going to games regularly-ish since the early 2000's. Away games usually consisted of trips to Athlone's old ground St Mels Park, Ballybofey and Monaghan. Started going very regular in 05 the year we won the first division and the following year I started going to more and more away games. Today, I rarely miss any games, home or away, and experienced one of the best few days of my life in Albania last summer.
    Must have been the league cup as tonight's is the first ever meeting of the clubs in the FAI cup.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    My first game was a league cup game between the Kerry League and Waterford United. Kerry won as well in a shoot-out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ARooney28 View Post
    Away games usually consisted of trips to Athlone's old ground St Mels Park, Ballybofey and Monaghan. Started going very regular in 05 the year we won the first division and the following year I started going to more and more away games. Today, I rarely miss any games, home or away, and experienced one of the best few days of my life in Albania last summer.
    Surely you must have enjoyed St Mel's too, then.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast