Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOI fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    My best match so far was the 3-0 bohs win, but ive only been going for 1 and a half years so il be hoping for better
    Ahhh

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    First game was v Newcastlewest in the 1988 FAI Cup. Started going regularly the promotion season (coincided with when I moved back).

My current attendance is pretty poor for a combination of reasons - family commitments mainly. Summer football really doesn't help either. Hoping that Town moving to Fridays will help medium term, even if the first two Fridays (at least) are out for me.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    My first LOI game actually wasn't a Bray one, before I went to the Carlisle with my dad, my mate brought me to watch Drogheda play UCD. Even convinced me to wear an old Drogheda shirt of his. God, that memory un-repressed itself pretty suddenly!!!!

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran W View Post
    PI, do you go to the ultra or family stand ?
    Mostly the family stand, but I mix it around. I find you get a better sense of the atmosphere being created by the Ultras from the family stand.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    1976, Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers in Oriel, don't remember much as I was 2 years old, but I do remember drinking concentrated orange (undiluted). Used to go to Oriel on and off since then, and when Dundalk played in Dublin (especially Dalymount) would go. I went to UCD and got a free pass to home games, so I went to most when I could and the odd time went to Oriel, but always was in Dalymount when the Lilywhites visited. Since I left Uni I've been outside of Ireland most of the time though whenever I'm home I'll always get to games, and if I'm close to where an Irish club is playing in Europe I'll go along. Last game I was home for was in Tallaght for Shamrock Rovers vs Sporting Fingal. With that game it meant I've seen all the LOI clubs currently in action, as well as all the previous incarnations (EMFA, Newcastle West) though I haven't seen the new Cork or Derry play yet. Only been to one FAI Cup final though (that Dundalk weren't in, though the last I missed as I was outside of the country in 2002) - supporting St. Francis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Is the atmosphere good from the ultras in the family stand ? I havent been in that stand since the new one opened so i wouldn't know whats it like.
    Ahhh

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Yeah, it's our holier-than-thou attitude that's turning people away alright.

My favourite thing to do when a barstooler walks into the Brandywell (we can smell them you see) is to go up to him in front of everyone and ask him to name the 1965 league winning team- they never can! Has us all in stitches. Then we ask him which of our new signings he thinks is doing well but- get this- whatever he says we disagree with him!! Belter craic. That soon scares the lad off and we can go back to swapping anecdotes about Gothenburg and sticking pins in Steven Gerrard dolls.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 16/08/2010 at 11:59 AM.

9. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    What's that got to do with the thread?

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Very brave journalist that wouldn't even put a name to that piece of utter rubbish.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

13. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Should be moved to another thread, or even rubbish. We already know that barstoolers will do anything to justify their "support", and the fact that they'll be nothing but welcomed into LoI grounds by the vast vast majority unless they're acting the complete tool.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Should be moved to another thread, or even rubbish
    It'd be a shame to bin tcm's excellent reply. But any more comments on it will be binned. Obviously, if paul wants to start a new thread on it, he can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Been going to Finn Park since the late 80's early 90's. Mainly home games until about 5 years ago, since then I rarely miss a game.

I am very proud in the fact that I have not missed a Harps game in Europe in the last 10 years.

Favourite games would include the play-offs in 2007 and cup semi final in 99.

Overall, the play-off with Longford in Finn Park was special. Although we eventually lost, it had everything, a packed Finn Park, the best Atmosphere I can remember with everyone in the ground singing, Kevin McHugh's hat-trick, Eric Lavine (Cnut) scoring a screamer, digger O'Brien in nets for Longford, getting beaten on penalties, that was it for me, that was what it was all about.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Went to my first Limerick FC match in 2004.
    Have been to all but one home game since 2007 season (missed Dundalk at home 1st round 07 season).

My first away game was Athlone in 2007.
    From the start of last season I've been to every away match except the Mons game that was moved to a Thursday last year, and the pre-season match v Galway this year.

I look forward to my first European adventure with Limerick in the not too distant future
    LTID

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    First City match I went to was the 1997 Cup Final, which my uncle took me too. Can't remember much about the day beyond running up and down the aisle of the bus with some other kids (I would have been 11), and a guy standing on a kerb after the game singing "Who cares when you win the league..." The fact that Shels had scored a second surprised me- Id somehow managed to miss it entirely.

The second game I went to was the European game where we also lost 2-0, to NK Maribor. This was my first game in the Brandywell.

On my third occasion I saw my first City goal scored by none other than one D. Ginola, during the charity match for the victims of the Omagh bombing. Good times.

The Cup Finals in 2002 and 2006 would be among my favourite City memories. 2002 was one of the first times I'd stood in a (for me) massive crowd and that was really special, despite the fact I missed the only goal of the game when I went to the toilet just after half time to "beat the rush." 2006 was brilliant because I was at uni at the time and manged to convince a dozen Irish and English friends to come with me (including Arsenal,West Ham and Spurs season ticket holders), all of whom thought it was one of the best games they'd witnessed.

I go to as many Euro games as possible, though can't always travel. I missed the second leg of the Gretna match when I was best man at a friend's wedding- thank God we had the tie done and dusted after the first leg or it would have been an exceptionally short speech.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 16/08/2010 at 1:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I was brought to my first game in 1990 by my dad, Pats Rovers in the RDS, We would go to most home games through the 90's and most of the away games in Dublin, We would get to a few outside Dublin,, We kept that up until about 05-06 now go to all home games and nearly all away games, Missed 5 games last season and have missed 4 games this season all home ones due to work and the likes, My first away European game was in Celtic Park in 98 one of my favourite moments along with Elfsborg at home the Krylia Sovetov game, Winning the league in Dundalk and Killkenny and the 1999 league win against Bray at home, Bad moments would be the 3 cup finals, they all have their own reason for being terrible, The Derry one because we lead 3 times, the Longford one because i really thought we would win that one comfortably but the worst fo me was Shels in 96 the replay was the day of my 8th birthday worst birthday ever
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I've been going to L.O.I games since the mid seventies.My father brought me to Milltown and I've been hooked since.
    I started going on my own during the Johnny Giles era in the late seventies. THe mid eighties was a memorable time
    as Rovers won four titles in a row. When Milltown was sold it was a tough time but I stuck with them through the
    lean years,the R.D.S years been good times with a league title in 1994.
    The worst times were renting Richmond and Morton Stadiums. I go to every home and most away games in all
    competitions.The last two years have been the best so far,and hopefully trophies wont be too far off.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Been going since very early 90's. Went to the odd away game but started going to away games regularly around 2005. Went to every game last season(league, cups, Europe) and have missed just two this year.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Been going to Finn Park since the late 80's early 90's. Mainly home games until about 5 years ago, since then I rarely miss a game.

I am very proud in the fact that I have not missed a Harps game in Europe in the last 10 years.

Favourite games would include the play-offs in 2007 and cup semi final in 99.

Overall, the play-off with Longford in Finn Park was special. Although we eventually lost, it had everything, a packed Finn Park, the best Atmosphere I can remember with everyone in the ground singing, Kevin McHugh's hat-trick, Eric Lavine (Cnut) scoring a screamer, digger O'Brien in nets for Longford, getting beaten on penalties, that was it for me, that was what it was all about.

Bloody hell that was some game alright. I missed Eric's goal just after HT coz I was outside the ground getting chips from some chipper up the road. Heard the roar, was sure it was a Harps goal at the time, sprinted back down the road and Harps were just kicking off. Serious drama that night, the celebrations on the pitch afterwards were special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I love the way the vast majority remember all the little details. Only football fans can reel off the exact amount of games they've missed, who the games were against, and the reason why they missed it.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

26. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast