Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Having read the last post in this forum I realise I never uploaded pic's of my last marathon effort in October. I had a great race but remember more the pain of the following week as my face stripped and peeled from the cold.

The start

Leaving Lucerne and out around the lake for the first time

Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Back into Lucerne and through the Transport Museum

Back into Lucerne for the second and final time

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    They're great pics, although I feel cold looking at them. I just struggle in the cold, it doesn't mix well with asthma.

I just signed up for my second marathon, Sydney in September. Looking forward to 5 months of ups and downs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    They're great pics, although I feel cold looking at them. I just struggle in the cold, it doesn't mix well with asthma.

I just signed up for my second marathon, Sydney in September. Looking forward to 5 months of ups and downs.
    Thank you TCM. To be honest (and it's the story of my life I arrived from arrived from a relatively sultry warmth in Berln to the first snows and equipped with shorts and tee with under armour long sleeve) and I suffered. My face froze and basically I had a face peel but of course it only happened after the run.

You can achieve anything, and I mean anything, if you put your mind to it. I get you on the cold. I get claustrophobia and so while I run with a snood I sometimes struggle to breathe and I panic. So I can understand the asthma side of it. With such a respiratory condition your attempt is more admirable so well done you.

Good luck in your preparation.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    You're obviously getting old. That's what happens. A 21 min 5k is very decent, you should be smashing 48 mins.

Look up the Macmillan running calculator online to convert, for example, your current 5k time into the 10k time you should be able to achieve.
    Finished in 45:57 for 857th place in very windy conditions. Got my pacing pretty much dead on, started nice and steady and near the back of my wave so I spent the entire race overtaking people and not getting passed. The hill running really paid off on the climbs in the Phoenix Park where a lot of runners seemed to be in serious difficulty. Thoroughly enjoyed the run and there might have been another couple of minutes in me but I was very wary of over doing in when running the distance in a race environment for the first time.

Hopefully keep up the running now and continue to improve. The marathon is becoming an ever more alluring goal!

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Any news on what's happening at the Boston marathon, news channels here are dreadful. They'll stick a camera on the Falls Road for weeks on end, but ask them to react....and Euronews is equally dreadful. Worried as I have at least 3 people I know running the race and one of them is my brother's best friend doing it for Blanch Hospital (I think, I sponsored him so I should know).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    All 3 ok, bro's friend finished half an hour earlier and was sitting in a changing zone recovering. Wild estimates on numbers. RT say 10 dead, CNN announce 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Most news outlets seem to be reporting 2 dead, and 20-odd injured.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Woke earlier this morning and saw updates on local tv. I have an awful feeling that this is a pretext for something major, like attacking somewhere or some sort of clampdown. I know I appear to be a conspiracy nut, however this is just too weird. Is it to bolster the Obama campaign for tighter gun control?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Woke earlier this morning and saw updates on local tv. I have an awful feeling that this is a pretext for something major, like attacking somewhere or some sort of clampdown. I know I appear to be a conspiracy nut, however this is just too weird. Is it to bolster the Obama campaign for tighter gun control?
    I'm of the opinion that it's more like an anti tax/government type of deal. April 15th is when taxes are due in the US, took place in Boston(Tea Party and all that).
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    SI, could well be. Right now nothing is making sense. Seems more homegrown, but then again....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Looks like the Yanks have got their latest foreign boogey man (or an old foe back). Russians being blamed for the bombings and this is just getting messy. On a side note, all this week Moscow has been in a veritable shut down - armed OMON officers on all points of entry and exit from the MKAD. Haven't seen this since, well, since the last metro bombings..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Allegedly, two brothers from or near Chechnya. This is a strange one.
    Last edited by strangeirish; 19/04/2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Exactly. 2 brothers, living since 2011 in the US, on scholarships (one in Brown which is interesting as I know a Russian girl from Voronezh who has been studying there since 2011 and the head person for recruiting Brown students - offering scholarships - is a German guy whom I last met a week ago to watch Celtic-Barcelona). This week Tom Donilon came to Moscow and gave VVP a "letter" from Obama - I wonder what it said?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    It was nothing just Obama saying he thought they were taking positive steps toward the "security pact" he is seeking with Russia.

These 2 Muslims had their uncle on the TV calling them losers, aying they should die for bringing shame to the family, while an aunt in toronto says they didnt do it and they were framed.
    Let the circus begin....
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Crosby, I don't believe the "letter" was just a love note, and besides, it was all for show. Something is going on that will unfold shortly and where these boys were born and partially raised (Kyrgyzstan) is a hotbed of Saudi funded fanaticism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I get your point spuds but its not 1939. He wouldn't send him a letter about this. There are other ways they communicate. The letter was just an official way of getting his thoughts about the pact on the record. Any other conversations they have about this are not written to say the least.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    So how is everyone's running going? I'm headed toward a 16-week training plan for the Sydney Marathon, starting at the start of June. Just trying to get a few miles under my belt and get used to running for 80/90 minutes. I've been gradually increasing my weekly mileage so hopefully will be raring to go by the time the programme starts. Really, really looking forward to the actual thing itself, and hoping I can put in enough work to get the time I want.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I did my first ever road race a week or so back - 10K in about 50 minutes. Was ok, made a few silly mistakes, went off too fast at start (not mad start but could be more relaxed), had to stop to tie my laces twice (silly mistake), and had a water stop I could have done without.
    Was going to do the UB marathon in two weeks, but the soles of one of my feet is sore (bad runners), and i dont want to be a straggler when there might be less than a 100 doing it! So will do it in europe sometime in the future!! Will try the 10k again or maybe if I feel ok the 25 K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I've not been out running in weeks, not looking forward to seeing my next 5k time! On the other hand, I have bought new running shoes, which I am looking forward to trying out. Simple pleasures!!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast