Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Starting my training tomorrow. The ultimate aim is Dublin 2012 but I'm not going to pressure myself.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Targeting 3:45. Can't wait, looking forward to getting back into the training after a lazy December.
    You're getting cocky now!

TCM & Bonnie - Dublin is agreat race. I was really impressed by the atmosphere and the organisation.

I've entered Edinburgh on 27th May. I have been keeping fit since my last race (Windsor Triathlon, June 2011) and have a solid foundation to build on.

I started the formal training yesterday with a run of 1 hour 55 mins at a decent clip. When I did Dublin in 2009 I didn't do enough long running so I'm going to be more dedicated about doing plenty of 2.5-3+ hour runs. Ideally once weekly with the occasional switch to a long bike ride.

I've ordered the new Garmin 910X GPS watch, but it won't arrive until Feb. Once that arrives I can train more "scientifically".

Formal plans and goals for 2012 season.

- Start cycling to work again daily. That's nearly 80 miles per week.
    - Lose 5kg, maybe 7kg prior to Edinburgh.
    - March 2012 - Fleet Half Marathon - goal is 1:35 (last year 1:38).
    - April 2012 - Fullers Thames Towpath Ten Miler - goal is 70 minutes (course PB is 72 minutes)
    - May 19th 2012 - Super Sprint Triathlon Dorney Lake - goal is (a) 1:07 (course PB is 1:09) and (b) place in top 5 in my age group. I move up into the 45s category this year. My 1:09 from 2011 would have placed me 7th in the 45s.
    - May 27th 2012 - Edinburgh Marathon. Ambitious goal is to break 3:30, but I'll be happy with 3:40 probbaly.
    - June 2012 - Going to Poznan and Gdansk. Put back on 5kg!
    - June 2012 - one or two days after Italy game - Windsor Triathlon, Olympic Distance. Goal is to go low 2:30s. Course PB is 2:36 but it's a tough course - my PB elsewhere is 2:27
    - Break my 10k PB at an event TBD. PB is 43:28 so I think if I drop 5-7kg I can go close to 40 mins.
    - One more race TBD.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 02/01/2012 at 1:33 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Edit to above: Fleet H/M is full so I've entered Milton Keynes H/M on 4th March and Reading H/M on 1st April, which includes a finish in the Majedski Stadium.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Does anyone agree with / object to posting a weekly training diary up here? It'll be useful to look back on after the event to analyse whether the training plan works or doesn't work. It's also a useful motivational tool.

I'm going to use a variation of the "3+2 programme" I advocated previously.

That's 3 quality run sessions per week, plus 2 other forms of exercise. The 3 quality runs are:

(1) Approx. 5k of intervals at fast pace - goal is to improve Vo2 max. The program sets out a plan, but my running club has a similar session every Tuesday so I'm going to do the weekly club session instead.
    (2) One lactate threshold run - counter-intuitively this is slower than 10k race pace, and is "comfortably hard".
    (3) One long run p/w - anything from 13 to 20 miles, as per the programme. Slower than race pace.

I started the weekly long runs on 1/1, with a run of just under 2 hours. A week later I did 2:15, but faster than I should have gone. I start the fast intervals tonight.

My 16 weeks doesn't start until February so I'm still building my base and basically faffing about as I feel like, but I plan to run for at least 2:40 once a week, with up to 6 or 7 3 hour runs. I did way too few of these in 2009. Come March / April I'm going to add a weekly long bike ride (3+ hours).

I've started cycling to work and am doing at least one spinning class p/w, starting tomorrow
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 10/01/2012 at 3:09 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    On track so far.

This week I've done a tough interval session at running club - basically did 8k with rests, at 5k pace. 2 days later I did 90 mins at a decent clip 2 days later, and then on Sunday I ran 18 miles in 2:45 - slow pace but that's the idea for now.

Club interval run again tomorrow. I've cycled to work every day now for last 2 weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Can I join in?

Just registered as a charity runner for the Edinburgh marathon. The plan is to start with 3 training days a week (plus playing hockey as well), one "long" run, starting 10k, building it up gradually, to about 30-35k come marathon time, one "short" run, about 5k, trying to knock down my time, and one set of intervals, thinking push really hard for a minute, gentle jog for a minute, starting at 16 minutes, building that up as I go as well.

I'd be delighted with anything under 4:30 to be honest, and would be pretty happy just to get round

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Good luck Peadar, sounds like a half decent plan. I'd start your long runs a bit longer than 10k though - assuming you're up for it. They don't have to be at any decent pace.

I went skiing last week with some mates which was a worklout in itself, but since coming back I did a hardish 2 hours on a hilly circuit on Friday. Back to the weekly routine again, starting with a tough club session on Tuesday - 5 x 7 minute intervals at faster than than 10k pace, 90 secs between work efforts.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Good luck Peadar, sounds like a half decent plan. I'd start your long runs a bit longer than 10k though - assuming you're up for it. They don't have to be at any decent pace.

I went skiing last week with some mates which was a worklout in itself, but since coming back I did a hardish 2 hours on a hilly circuit on Friday. Back to the weekly routine again, starting with a tough club session on Tuesday - 5 x 7 minute intervals at faster than than 10k pace, 90 secs between work efforts.
    After all those good intentions I bailed after just one week of training because it was too cold! Hoping to get back to it this week now the snow and ice have melted, and I won't skid into the canal! The only thing making me feel a bit less guilty is the fact that my fellow charity runners are doing even worse than I am!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    I'm kind of on track. Did 18 miles at average 8:50 p/m on Sunday. Slow compared to my target time, though it didn't feel that slow. I'm 16 weeks out now and want to be doing an 18-20 miler at least 10 more times. Did the usual spped and tempo sessions in between, I'm maybe two or three sessions down on my schedule over a 4 week cycle. Not bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Was at home in Dublin over the w/e so training was curtailed.

I did 11 miles approx. out to Belfield and back to Rathfarnham on Friday. Nice to see the alma mater again. Both ways were via Foster Evenue, Mount Anville, Taney Hill, so undulating is a fair description.

Early on Sunday am I did around 13 miles in 1:50 out to and around Phoenix Park and back, before heading out to the airport (by car!). Dublin is weird at 8am on a Sunday morning. Eeerily still and quiet.

Club speed session tonight.

Next long run is in next few days and then HM on 4th March in Milton Keynes, so only some short, fast sessions before that.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 21/02/2012 at 4:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I've been mainly doing 5ks recently to try and build up my fitness, and because work is manic, and it's easier to fit in a 25 minute 5k than see how much distance I can get through in an hour and a half.

I'm still putting in two two-hour hockey sessions a week, and either one or two matches at the weekends, so hopefully that's making some sort of contribution. I know I'm going to have to start putting in some long runs soon though, I'm just conscious of the fact that I don't want to overdo things and get injured.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Formal plans and goals for 2012 season.

- - March 2012 - Fleet Half Marathon - goal is 1:35 (last year 1:38).
    Edit to above: Fleet H/M is full so I've entered Milton Keynes H/M on 4th March and Reading H/M on 1st April, which includes a finish in the Majedski Stadium.
    Did MK half-marathon yesterday. Nailed it - 1:34. Awful weather, it was so cold it started snowing just after the race.

Good to get an early season form marker in.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    How's everyone else doing?

I'm pretty much on track. I decided not to run the Reading Half last Sunday. The MK Half took a bit out of me at race pace, and I had to ease off training while my 44 year old legs recovered. I decided a 20 mile training run on Sunday would be better for me than another half marathon race.

That's two 20 milers I have done in the last 10 days and my track interval sessions and mid-distance tempo efforts are mainly up-to-date. I've been cycling a heavy mountain bike in and out of work for 3 months now. I've done the 20 miles in 2:45 which is slower than race pace, but in line with my programme. Next 2 or 3 should be progressively quicker. I have to say that I don't like running for more than 2 hours though. Boredom and lower back pain take over.

Touch wood I can continue to meet my training milestones and stay injury free and healthy.

I need to add some proper swim and cycling training to my routine now so that will put more pressure on.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 03/04/2012 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Yer all mental if you ask me. I struggle to stand in nets every week playing football in a junior league I'm that unfit.

Considering running the North West 10k and Danny McDaid 15k races up in Letterkenny, but aside from that Marathons are a mad battle. Sister is running the Dublin one but since running a marathon on a treadmill for charity 2 years ago I don't think I'll be at that again any time soon.

Fair play to you though, tis a tough ask for anyone and takes a lot of committment.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    - April 2012 - Fullers Thames Towpath Ten Miler - goal is 70 minutes (course PB is 72 minutes)
    Close enough - did it in 71 mins and 7 seconds. 8 seconds quicker and I'd have been able to say 1:10 something, or 70 mins!

I had a few drinks the night before and I'm recovering from a cold, so happy with that. Nearly 90 secs better than my PB on that course, and 2.5 mins quicker than my time 12 months ago.

6+ weeks to Edinburgh now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Yesterday I did my last long-ish run before Edinburgh on 27/5. I only did 2 hours and got bored and I still hadn't recovered fully from a hard interval session on Tuesday.

I did 2.5 hours the previous week. All my early season time targets have been met and I'm definitely a better 6-15 mile runner than I was last year. My big worry is that I've only once or twice done close to 20 miles in training and my other long runs have all been within my comfort zone of about 16-18 miles. Even that's too long really - too boring and just too much of a slog.

I've a couple of triathlons coming up too, including a super-sprint next Saturday which I've got to train for. My marathon training has been at the expense of proper swim and bike training so I'm off to do a bit of a spin now.

My prediction for Edinburgh? My lack of regular really long runs will see me struggle for the last 6+ miles. I'll be doing well to get inside 3:30.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    May 19th 2012 - Super Sprint Triathlon Dorney Lake - goal is (a) 1:07 (course PB is 1:09) and (b) place in top 5 in my age group. I move up into the 45s category this year. My 1:09 from 2011 would have placed me 7th in the 45s.
    OK, so another good performance. I finished 40 seconds quicker than last year and in spite of a botched T1 (swim exit / start bike - where I couldn't undo the zip on my wetsuit, wasting a minute). The bike course was 1.5k longer than last year due to roadworks, so in effect I was probably closer to 4 mins quicker than last year, like for like. I nailed the 5k run in 20:10, my fastest effort ever over that distance.

I didn't get a placing in my age group though - 13th out of about 90 starters I think. The standrad was higher than last year.

5 days to Edinburgh marathon now. I'll train tonight and tomorrow (swim & bike) as I'm still training for an OD Tri in June, but then that's it. Despite being on great form and having lost a few kg I'm still anxious about 26 miles - I don't think I've done enough long running to make the last 6-7 miles anything but pure torture. Let's see...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    May 27th 2012 - Edinburgh Marathon. Ambitious goal is to break 3:30, but I'll be happy with 3:40 probably.
    My prediction for Edinburgh? My lack of regular really long runs will see me struggle for the last 6+ miles. I'll be doing well to get inside 3:30.

Did Edinburgh yesterday in......3:30:14 in baking heat, so pretty pleased.

With only a few miles to go (can't remember exactly - 6?) I was 4 minutes ahead of 8min p/m pace, so was heading for 3:26. My pacing up to then had been spot on. 3:30 is 8 mins p/m exactly, and I had planned to plug away doing 7:50 ~ 8 min miles and was doing just that, with a few sneaky 7:35s / 7:40s thrown in when I was feeling good. It's great being sligtly ahead of target as then you've got something to hold onto, rather than having something to chase when you are least able to. Despite feeling great all the way up to miles 19 and 20 I never felt cocky as I knew that the marathon can land a lethal punch at any time.

The first heavy blow came around mile 21 or 22, as predicted in my recent posts. My first 8:30 mile came in, then another and then a 8:59. The fitness was there, but the legs and hips were sore and started stiffening up. My 3:26 was now gone but 3:28 was still there if I could just whack out another 8 min mile (or thereabouts) for each of the last two miles. In ordinary circumstances I could practically hop an 8 minute mile but even with such a big prize in sight I could only manage another 8:29 and then a disappointing 8:58, and then the last 300+ yards to the finish went pretty quick.

15 seconds quicker and I could have said I was a 3 twenty-something marathon runner but I said at the start of the year I'd like to do 3:30 and I did just that. Paul O'Shea's mate did the race too and can testify just how hot it was.

I took a drink at every water station which kept me hydrated. I took 4 or 5 gels. One on one hour, another at two hours and then a few more later on. My best decision was to wear a £10 Nike white lightweight running cap which kept the sun of my shaved slaphead.

I know I can do quicker, especially if it's colder, but I am not committed enough to put in the regular long slow miles required. My lower back and hips have too much astroturf football in them from over the years and I know deep down that this marathon lark ain't good for me. Nor do I like an event that mainly requires hanging on rather than going out to attack something (10k, 10 miles (my favourite) or half-marathon are more positive). The heart rate just doesn't get high enough for most of a marathon. That's why that's my last marathon for a few years and it's back to triathlon for me now. Edinburgh was a good event, lovely coastal route and well-supported, but I just haven't got the marathon bug.

The kids thought the pandas in Edinburgh zoo were great.

Poznan and Gdansk up next and then my favourite event of the year - Windsor Triathlon.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 28/05/2012 at 8:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I'd forgotten about this thread!

Ran it in 5:08:04, but I reckon the heat added about 20-25 minutes onto the time. Got to half way in 2 hours, and was still managing okay, but it just kept getting hotter and hotter, so I ended up walking nearly half of the second 21k. I was raging, because in cooler conditions in training I'd been able to run 30k in 3:15-ish, without too much bother.

To be honest, I though that time would see me right near the back of the field, but I ended up 6646th out of 23,000, not sure how that worked, but a lot of people must have been struggling even more than I was!

That's a super time anyway Stutts, I was knocking off 9:30 miles for the first half, and was pretty happy with that.

Still, there's always next time. I'm looking at doing the Glasgow half in September, and going for under 2 hours. Then possibly the full shebang in Dublin at the end of October, I know it won't be roasting then!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Looking at my second marathon following Paris 2010. Berlin is one of the big 5 and I should have moved sooner but participation limit reached. Looking now at Munich on the 14th October. A nice time of year to do it too and places available albeit at 69 Euro entry. I recently completed a local Half Marathon The Potteries Half and it was hell. I tend to do my distance runs on the flat and this was anything but. Climb after climb after horrific climb and made it in just under 2 hours. Looking to again do Munich under 4 hours. Thats always my aim.
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast