Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    The town I live in organised a 10k run for local funding. Mrs Kingdom suggested we both do it, as it turns out I ended up doing it on my own. I started really from scr, hadn't done any form of training in about 5 years and the lumps were well showing. There was a meet and train group, with a coach and really it was baby steps from the first day. I love sport but have always hated running just for runnings sake. I was a mess on the first day, puffing and ruined after 1 x 700m lap of the trail. We seemed to be doing very short distances, lots of stretching etc, but after about 4 weeks (only 3 x 1hr sessions a week) the fitness really improved, so much so that he surprised us into doing a 7k run one evening, and couldn't believe how easy it was. I had hoped to do the 10k in under an hour (not really an achievement - but from the starting point it did not look realistic).
    We were very lucky insofar as the course was well mapped out from the first days training. The day itself was tough, it was hotter than anything we'd trained at, and the course itself took in a very steep hill right in the middle of the course. I was very happy with how it was going and three of us had grouped together and that was a massive difference. However the finishing line was changed on the day (something I wasn't aware of) and all the motivation of "keep going - only this corner to go" completely went when I realised the finishing line was another 500m away. It was like someone had stuck a blade in my back, couldn't believe afterwards how badly it affected me. I literally stopped in the street, and it took at least a minute for me to get going to do the last half kilometre.

I know it's not a marathon but it's giving an idea of the mental aspect that I would have scoffed at previously. I was very happy to do it in 57:53, achieving the goal. I'll keep doing them and then consider the big one in a couple of years.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Dodge.

Dodge dont be discouraged about taking up the challenge.I did an 8km last year with little or no training and kinda got bitten by "the bug" then and went for the big one this year then.Running is addictive,which helps alot.My best mate talked for years about doing it together but showed no signs of actually making the effort so i struck out on my own this year and didnt wait for him.Consider doing the same if your mates dont make a move within those 2 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Have a read of my blog Dodge. It gives a little bit about what you might achieve. I remember getting sick after about 3 miles on a lunchtime run within the last 2 years. I'm half way to wear I need to be but as my blog says 'anything and everything is possible'. What you'll find as your fitness improves is you'll be surprised just how much you can do actually.
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I know it's not a marathon but it's giving an idea of the mental aspect that I would have scoffed at previously. I was very happy to do it in 57:53, achieving the goal. I'll keep doing them and then consider the big one in a couple of years.
    For most non runners or new to running runners they tend to look at a sub 60 10k. Your time isn't bad actually. I'm around the 50 minute mark for a 10km at the minute and I want to break into the 40 - 50 minute time band at that distance at some stage. I'll be happy with a personal best sub 50.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Did it.

Just completed the marathon earlier today,first time ever and a lifelong goal complete,a great buzz crossing the line.Was tough but i'd recommend anyone to give it a go with good preperation first obviously.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Well done, I'm recuperating after it now.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Stu.

How did you do Stu?Around what time did you get?Well done,hope it went well for you.I found it tough and not as flat as i had kept hearing it was meant to be.Did it in around 4.30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I'm still a bit stiff but pretty much grand. Did it in 7:03:16 which was about what I was hoping for. Hoping to fit in 3 over spring then skip the summer and finish the 5 race plan I have with Letterkenny in September.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I know this is off-topic but the weekend saw the tearful retirement of Haile Gebrselassie - one of the greatest runners I've ever seen.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Doing the Liverpool half marathon the last Sunday in March. It will be my first one. Done a few 10k's but nothing more. Training 3 nights a week at the moment but should really be doing 4 nights. As it stands i do 3/4 miles twice a week and then on the third night i do the longer run. At the moment i am up to 7 miles on the longer run which i ran on Friday night. Felt ok being honest. A bit tired towards the last mile or so but ok overall. Have to say nervous enough about it all but especially training towards 8 miles then 9 and so on. Have diabetes but so far seem to have the sugars at the right level heading out on my runs.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Running half marathon in London in September, first kind of running event I've ever done. I can so about 5/6 miles non-stop at the moment and I'm hoping to hit around 1 hour 45/50. Anyone got any more stories, anecdotes, tips or horror stories since this thread was last bumped?

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Doing the Liverpool half marathon the last Sunday in March. It will be my first one. Done a few 10k's but nothing more. Training 3 nights a week at the moment but should really be doing 4 nights. As it stands i do 3/4 miles twice a week and then on the third night i do the longer run. At the moment i am up to 7 miles on the longer run which i ran on Friday night. Felt ok being honest. A bit tired towards the last mile or so but ok overall. Have to say nervous enough about it all but especially training towards 8 miles then 9 and so on. Have diabetes but so far seem to have the sugars at the right level heading out on my runs.
    Well, how did it go?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The world record was broken in the Boston marathon yesterday
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    thischarmingman

Well if you can run that far non-stop now the good news is you should be fine. There really is no bad news. Essentially what you want to do is build in increments.

For example my work schedule means I only get to do one long run each week in addition to a bunch of short ones. The big difference is as time goes on I can increase the long on. So say I do 3 x 3 miles midweeek, and then 5 miles at the weekend. The next week I can up that to 3 x 3 miles midweek and 7 at the weekend, then 9, 11, 13, etc. It's all about building up rather than taking one huge leap at a time.

It's remarkable how quickly the body adapts.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The world record was broken in the Boston marathon yesterday
    I don't think it's allowed to count though, as Boston is classified as a "downhill" course.

Looking fwd to kearing KK77's time. There's a school of thought that 3 runs a week is fine as long as you do some "cross training" - cycling or swimming on top of it. Just running drives me mad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdonian Stu View Post
    thischarmingman

Well if you can run that far non-stop now the good news is you should be fine. There really is no bad news. Essentially what you want to do is build in increments.

For example my work schedule means I only get to do one long run each week in addition to a bunch of short ones. The big difference is as time goes on I can increase the long on. So say I do 3 x 3 miles midweeek, and then 5 miles at the weekend. The next week I can up that to 3 x 3 miles midweek and 7 at the weekend, then 9, 11, 13, etc. It's all about building up rather than taking one huge leap at a time.

It's remarkable how quickly the body adapts.
    Cool, that's what I'm going to try to do. I reckon 2 short and 1 long per week. I know people of a similar or slightly worse fitness who started training about 8-10 weeks before and I have a lot more time than that so hopefully I'll be fine. Meant to ask, how important are shoes really? I'm running in a fairly cheap pair of not-really-built-for-running trainers at the moment. Can I get away with this for a while or should I be looking to splash out on a decent pair asap?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Actually the one thing I'd do above all else is get a decent pair of runners. Like no need to get some crazy fangled pair promise all sorts of bull. Just get a pair of Asics. They're super-reliable.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I like Brooks shoes. I use Brooks Adrenaline. It's worth getting your running style assessed which they'll do in most good running shops. I need "moderate stability" shoes meaning the inside side of the shoe is harder than the outside, preventing injuries due to natural "over pronation". I used to get nasty achilles and other lower leg muscle strains until I discovered this.

Shoes are very important. Don't ever race in brand new shoes though. Give them one or two decent runs before a race, just in case they eat into your feet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I am a Marathon Runner

I haven't been on here in ages. With so much going on with work, Uni and trying to keep up my fitness. I have joined the band of merry men who can say they have run a marathon. For such a monumental prospect I found it somewhat more comfortable than I imagined and despite my knees protesting in the days running up to the event they carried me well and it was a massive achievement.

Having gotten a place for London this year I had to turn it down as I was running the Paris Marathon the week before. To say I was gutted and disappointed was an understatement as I would have chose London everytime. As its a massive undertaking I did it for charity and more specifically a condition m girlfriend suffers from, namely Fibromyalgia. Fibro, in short, is a very painful muscular arthritic condition and so she can very rarely do much exercise or sleep with the pain. To say she has a tough life is an understatement and so in recognition of this I ran for Fibromyalgia Association UK and more specifically the local support group branch in Burton Upon Trent. In short we have raised nearly 800 pound to date and can guarantee the support group a roof over their head for their support group meetings for the next year. www.justgiving.com/BrendanGrufferty

The event proved to be a great choice with a great atmosphere and despite the baking heat I made a last minute decision to run and enjoy it ad comfortably finish rather than get myself a time I was aiming for. If your doing a first marathon this is the way to go. I had planned for 4 hours. I did it in 4hrs 58 and so while its miles away from where I wanted to be its still an achivement and one I'll consider doing again.

I have the racing bug. I am addicted. I have a familiar pattern of countryside routes which have been beautiful and always served me well and in the current weather I'm getting out there to enjoy them. You can read more about my marathon efforts on my blog (in my signature) which to date hasn't exactly seen much life or throughflow of people. Pictures will be put up on it at sme stage. I never really got the hang of the blog set up etc.
    Last edited by Mad Moose; 02/05/2011 at 2:49 PM. Reason: correction to link

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Well done. I did Belfast myself there on Monday, cracking day for it as well. Next time I'll remember to use sun cream!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Well done lads. I spoke with a guy who did Paris also, and he said the heat made it very tough.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast