Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 Qualifying Group B - General Discussion

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Thumped? Didn't O'Shea get injured early and Hunt sent off?
    Hunt was sent off against the Czechs a few days later, not against Slovakia.

We should have won the game in Slovakia. We were 2-1 up in the dying minutes when we conceded one of our traditional sloppy goals.

That 2-2 draw knocked us out of Euro 2008 contention completely although we were the better team on the night. Doyle and Ireland got the goals (and we haven't seen SI since).
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Doyle's goal that night was fantastic.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    We would be doing well to get a point in Slovakia but we would be doing supremely well to get a point in Russia.

Our 1 up formation (i.e. after we score first) still gives me the jitters.
    What he said. And as I said in the Armenia 'match thread', it won't be pretty.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    The way I look at it is whatever result Slovakia get in Russia we need to match. So for them to win there wouldnt be good in my opinion. A draw is by far the best result.

I think Slovakia are a better side now than the team we played twice under Stan. Arguably we were lucky to win the game at home, the away game was a last min concession but again a draw probably was the fair result.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Yeah, I remember Doyle's goal very well. Hit it with his left foot. Best goal I've ever seen an Irish player score, no joke.

We weren't knocked out on that result though, it was the Czech loss that did us in. Almost exactly three years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Colbert you were formerly Vega007? Is that your alter ego? It almost sounds....David Bowie-ish.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Not that interesting, just lost my login info some years back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Hmmmm.....
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    We weren't knocked out on that result though, it was the Czech loss that did us in. Almost exactly three years ago.
    Mathematically you are correct CR but when we conceded that last minute goal in Bratislava all of the Irish supporters there knew our chances of qualification were gone. On the interminable train journey from Bratislava to Prague none of the Irish fans thought we'd be able to beat the Czechs.

If we'd held on in Bratislava then a draw in Prague would have kept us in contention. The team tried hard that night in Prague (too hard in Hunt's case) but we never looked like scoring. The draw against the Slovakia killed all the hopes if not the mathematical possibilities.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Didn't Doyle hit the post in Prague, and the rebound just didn't fall for McShane who would have had an open goal?

I also recall Cech flapping at a corner late on - did we have a goal disallowed in that incident, or a McShane shot cleared off the line?

We played well enough in Prague. Their goal was very well taken. Nice one two and good finish by the Milan full back.

Although we scored twice in Slovakia and were ahead going into injury time, we were rubbish for a long part of the game. Their first equaliser when it came was ineveitable we had conceded so much possession. A pretty good case could have been made for a free out (Dunne) for their second though. The curse of George, and Stan's stupid smirk while making a last minute substitution contributed too. I honestly think that in the moment Stan showed himself to be the incompetent fool he was as Irish manager.

It was after the game in Prague where Dunphy came up with his famous "would you let him drive the train to Cork, Bill?" line.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 05/09/2010 at 1:48 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Is there much point comparing Ireland under Stan to Ireland under Trap though?
    Am starting to think the differences were a little less less than we might have thought....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    5-2 in Cyprus versus 1-2 in Cyprus. 1 point versus 6.

Barely any difference there alright.

Still, I'd take Stan's 4 points from Slovakia I suppose. I think with Stan it was just so hit and miss. At least Trap is consistently hard to beat. We've become the Cliff Thorburn of international football.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    That's just one opponent and the current nadir of Irish soccer though re. Cyprus.

Of course Trap is better, but his teams are becoming worse and worse to watch which is a shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    That's just one opponent and the current nadir of Irish soccer though re. Cyprus.

Of course Trap is better, but his teams are becoming worse and worse to watch which is a shame.
    would you prefer to play better and lose?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

I can't agree with this. While Friday might not have been the best, our previous competitive game in Paris was probably the best Irish performance since the 2002 World Cup. We all know Trap will keep to his system but the team are capable of playing good football within that structure when the players are on song. Hopefully it will happen on Tuesday and against Russia next month.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Didn't Doyle hit the post in Prague, and the rebound just didn't fall for McShane who would have had an open goal?

I also recall Cech flapping at a corner late on - did we have a goal disallowed in that incident, or a McShane shot cleared off the line?

We played well enough in Prague. Their goal was very well taken. Nice one two and good finish by the Milan full back.

Although we scored twice in Slovakia and were ahead going into injury time, we were rubbish for a long part of the game. Their first equaliser when it came was ineveitable we had conceded so much possession. A pretty good case could have been made for a free out (Dunne) for their second though. The curse of George, and Stan's stupid smirk while making a last minute substitution contributed too. I honestly think that in the moment Stan showed himself to be the incompetent fool he was as Irish manager.

It was after the game in Prague where Dunphy came up with his famous "would you let him drive the train to Cork, Bill?" line.
    That's fair enough Stutts - I wasn't suggesting we were bad in Prague but the win we needed did look beyond us despite a good performance. We probably deserved a draw that night but Hunt was very foolish with the tackle that resulted in his red card. Had we held on to the lead in Bratislava a draw in Prague might have been enough to keep our hopes alive.

I thought Ireland deserved a win based on the performance in Slovakia but, as is our habit, the team dropped way too deep for the last 15/20 minutes and invited Slovakia to come at them. While the team still has a tendency to sit back in the final minutes I think Trap does have them better organised (but I was still biting my fingernails on Friday afternoon waiting for the whistle).

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Fair enough to those replies. And take the point about some game in Paris.

But becoming cynical about the level of predictability we seem to have currently. Don't forget the former was nearly a year ago.
    And Trap.doesn't seem to want to change his system, to be sometimes be more creative.
    Which is why I despair. And yes if it means losing the odd game for the sake of being entertained generally, then so be it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think its well worth noting that the majority of the squad are able to raise their game like they did in Paris. Why they don't do this week in and out is beyond me. Whelan and Andrews were immense that night and if they played like that all the time they would make it in the best of PL teams. Granted their performance style was about breaking down more attacking minded midfielders, but it never hurts to have one like this in any midfield, Mascherano being a good example. Raise the game lads!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Fair enough to those replies. And take the point about some game in Paris.

But becoming cynical about the level of predictability we seem to have currently. Don't forget the former was nearly a year ago.
    And Trap.doesn't seem to want to change his system, to be sometimes be more creative.
    Which is why I despair. And yes if it means losing the odd game for the sake of being entertained generally, then so be it.
    Are you saying you want to lose?
    So if Trapattoni decides to play attacking football against, let's say Russia, and we go on to lose, you'll be happy with that?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    In an ideal world we'd have a successful and entertaining team. It's not an ideal world. We've been sub-standard for 8 years now and I for one am happy to place priority on results. If it doesn't capture the imagination of the casually interested public that doesn't bother me one bit.

We played very entertaining football under Mick. His team selections were imaginative and you always felt he knew who all the available players were. He secured 3 play-off places, including one success. But even before Saipan half the country were calling him a fool and wanted him out - even when he had virtually nothing to work with. It just seems to me that nobody is happy - ever.

I'm not brushing under the carpet the question of whether a less dogmatic approach than Trap's may yield results, but marks for artistic merit aren't awarded by UEFA, only points earned for winning & drawing matches.

21. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast