Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 Qualifying Group B - General Discussion

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Really guys, it's as simple as us beating Russia in Dublin and picking up a point in Moscow (though according to a friend of mine who sits on the RFS council, Fursenko wants to move the game somewhere less amenable, like St. Petersburg or even further east - they're going to copy the rugby crowd who send teams off to Krasnoyarsk forgames). Slovakia are a decent side who will come for a point in Dublin but they defend shambolically and Russia should/could have had 8 goals if they had a striker, which they won't as they're shunning the better Russian based players.
    Yeah, I don't think has changed this dramatically for us. We still need to win our games against the three lower-seeded teams and pick up as many points as possible against the other two and we'll have a good shot at either first or second.

Here's highlights of Russia - Slovakia. It's Slovak TV but even so it shows Russia dominating the game. Slovakia looked well organised and clinical but they didn't create much and their goal came from a shockingly casual clearance from the goalkeeper. Russia look technically brilliant in the final third but defensively disorganised.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika
    Really guys, it's as simple as us beating Russia in Dublin and picking up a point in Moscow (though according to a friend of mine who sits on the RFS council, Fursenko wants to move the game somewhere less amenable, like St. Petersburg or even further east - they're going to copy the rugby crowd who send teams off to Krasnoyarsk forgames).
    You comparing the Russian appeal for rugby to football?

The game will be in Moscow, guaranteed. Either the Lokomotiv or the Olympic Stadium.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Some fascinating insight tonight from the RTE panel (particulary Brady) on Web xtra. McCarthy, Coleman, Kelly and our style of play and Trap's reasoning. Very good insight http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/2...oextra_av.html
    I find it impossible to get RTE tv archive content on that shítty Real Player. Possibly RTE have blocks in place for foreign ISPs. What is the gist of that part of the discussion?
    Please

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Yellow card situation:

Ireland
    Whelan (v ARM)
    Dunne (v AND)

Russia
    Zhirkov (v SLK)
    Bilyaletdinov (v AND)

Slovakia
    Juraj Kucka (v RUS)
    Skrtel (v MKD)

Macedonia
    Filip Despotovski (v SLK)
    Vance Sikov (v SLK)
    Edin Nuredinovski (v SLK)
    Mario Gjurovski (v ARM)
    Ilco Naumoski (v ARM)

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    In back to back qualifiers, it would appear to me that it's much better for us to have the first game at home, then just one journey to the away game.
    Next month. Slovakia have a tough away game before they meet us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Hi all,

A few questions.

First though, having initially thought the Slovakia result was a good one, I have began to come round to thinking that it is possibly the worst outcome. For a number of reasons. I cant see us matching Slovakia's result in Moscow and think we'll be very lucky to take a point. (That was only the 3rd competitive home defeat for Russia in 60 years.) Secondly I thought the Russians we pretty good with the ball on the ground and passed it about very effectively and with pace, and you'd have to fear that players like Kev Kilbane will be torn to shreds by the pace they possess on the wings. As for the Slovakians I thought that was a model performance of professionalism and they showed a real knowledge of how to grind out a win in difficult circumstances, very capably. But then again come October we may see the Slovakia and Russia that played on Friday night as opposed to last night.

So as for my questions. Can anyone tell me:

1. Does goal difference against the bottom side count when it comes to deciding who wins the automatic best runners up spot. I would imagine it does as both England and Scotland are in five team groups and as such avoided the minnows like Andorra and San Marino.

2. Anyone know about suspensions. ie has Glen Whelans yellow card been extinguished yet or do the last for the entirety of the campaign, I recall something like that happening in a previous group, but cant be sure.

As for October we are going to have to beat Russia at home if we want to win (or even come second). That is something in the last 20 years the only sides ranked ahead of us that we have beaten at home was Holland (WC 2002) and Slovakia (Euro 2008 - however for this campaign we were 4th seeds and beating third seeds Slovakia was not all that impressive as at the time 4 years ago they certainly didn't command the same respect they have in footballing terms today.) We also beat Portugal in Euro 96 qualification but we were first seeds for that group.

Will we beat Russia at home?? I just can't see it.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Yellow card situation:

Ireland
    Whelan (v ARM)
    Dunne (v AND)

Russia
    Zhirkov (v SLK)
    Bilyaletdinov (v AND)

Slovakia
    Juraj Kucka (v RUS)
    Skrtel (v MKD)

Macedonia
    Filip Despotovski (v SLK)
    Vance Sikov (v SLK)
    Edin Nuredinovski (v SLK)
    Mario Gjurovski (v ARM)
    Ilco Naumoski (v ARM)
    Would be ideal if Squirtel picked up another yellow against Armenia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I find it impossible to get RTE tv archive content on that shítty Real Player. Possibly RTE have blocks in place for foreign ISPs. What is the gist of that part of the discussion?
    Please
    I've ripped the stream to a local file, I'll upload it later so you can watch it yourself
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Please
    have you tried clicking the "Play clip" button on the right? I know it sounds really stupid but I've waited for a while trying to load a video on there before clicking it. I assumed because I'd already clicked a "play" button that I had already signalled my intent to play the video but the RTE website seems to want some reassurance. It definitely doesn't block ips outside of roi.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    have you tried clicking the "Play clip" button on the right? I know it sounds really stupid but I've waited for a while trying to load a video on there before clicking it. I assumed because I'd already clicked a "play" button that I had already signalled my intent to play the video but the RTE website seems to want some reassurance. It definitely doesn't block ips outside of roi.
    I am pretty sure it blocks the Ireland matches, not sure about the other content.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    No problem to assume some stupidity and it might be appropriate on this occasion.
    I booted into windows again, tried the link again, played clip, and this time it worked. I don't think I did anything different but who is going to believe me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I am pretty sure it blocks the Ireland matches, not sure about the other content.
    It blocks out the matches but I've been able to watch all the interviews/analysis etc just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I've ripped the stream to a local file, I'll upload it later so you can watch it yourself
    ripped, converted to .avi (so you don't have to use RealPlayer to watch) and uploaded to megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8KCEIMEM
    enter the three letter + number code in the box,
    click download file
    wait for the counter to hit zero and click "Regular Download"
    It's a large download, approx 250MB so it will take about 20 minutes or so on a decent connection
    Watch and enjoy

for some reason the first 6 minutes are a blank screen (no idea why) so skip that and watch from the 6 minute mark
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    There was some pretty unconvincing goalkeeping all round in the RUSS v SLK game

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    You comparing the Russian appeal for rugby to football?

The game will be in Moscow, guaranteed. Either the Lokomotiv or the Olympic Stadium.
    No, I'm reporting the debate in the RFS about where they'll play the game, they've played games away from the capital on a regular basis and they usually do it to maximise their advantage. In rugby they get equally big crowds in Siberia or in Moscow or Krasnodar, so for them they'll just do what thye have to do.

Russia were planted in the final 2 thirds of the pitch for most of the game because most of the Slovak clearances barely made half way, meanwhile everytime Slovakia attacked it was poor finishing that didn't have them popping in another couple of goals, the Russian defence is just awful and Akinfeev overrated.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    What time (Irish time) is the Slovakia V Ireland game on?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Hi all,

So as for my questions. Can anyone tell me:

1. Does goal difference against the bottom side count when it comes to deciding who wins the automatic best runners up spot. I would imagine it does as both England and Scotland are in five team groups and as such avoided the minnows like Andorra and San Marino.
    You mean the best runner up who automatically qualifies for the finals?
    Results against the 6th seeded minnows are not calculated.

2. Anyone know about suspensions. ie has Glen Whelans yellow card been extinguished yet or do the last for the entirety of the campaign, I recall something like that happening in a previous group, but cant be sure.
    Glen Whelan's yellow card stays on record for the duration of the qualifiers.

As for October we are going to have to beat Russia at home if we want to win (or even come second). That is something in the last 20 years the only sides ranked ahead of us that we have beaten at home was Holland (WC 2002) and Slovakia (Euro 2008 - however for this campaign we were 4th seeds and beating third seeds Slovakia was not all that impressive as at the time 4 years ago they certainly didn't command the same respect they have in footballing terms today.) We also beat Portugal in Euro 96 qualification but we were first seeds for that group.
    Were we not ranked ahead of Slovakia for the 2008 qualifiers, so Holland is the only higher ranked team we have beaten competitively in yonks.
    This time we are 3rd seeds behind Slovakia.

Will we beat Russia at home?? I just can't see it.
    That's a strange question to ask, I thought you were looking for answers, that's asking for a prediction.

Anyone else have the strange feeling that it's Thursday?
    Last edited by geysir; 08/09/2010 at 8:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Anyone else have the strange feeling that it's Thursday?

Haha yes, all day!! I think russia away will be a 1-1 draw or 1-0 to us. Hopefully arshivan will get injured again just before hand. Without him they're no great shakes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    We were ranked ahead of Slovakia for the 2008 qualifiers, so Holland is the only higher ranked team we have beaten competitively in yonks.
    This time we are 3rd seeds (again) not 4th.

[/QUOTE]

We were in fact 4th seeds. And Slovakia were in fact 3rd seeds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_2008_Qualification

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It blocks out the matches but I've been able to watch all the interviews/analysis etc just fine.
    Yea that's what I found, I saw the analysis but I could not see the game, all these game seem to sold under strict broadcast conditions to milk as much money out of them as possible. The analysis was interesting and well worth the watch, but I doubt anyone would pay good money for it so they let you have it for free.

Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast