Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What parts of the city do Dublin clubs draw their fans from?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

What parts of the city do Dublin clubs draw their fans from?

Shamrock Rovers - how many of the 3,000 or so they get each week do you think are newish fans from Tallaght, and how many are older fans (or their kids) from the pre-homeless period ?

what parts of Dublin had the most Rovers fans before they left Milltown / RDS ?

Bohemians - how many from the area close to Dalymount and how many from the wider northside ? any other areas in the northside in particular have decent numbers of fans ?

St Pats might be the most geographically limted club or am I wrong ? Do many of their fans come further afield ?

Shelbourne - are they really a northside club drawing most of their fans from areas near Tolka ? or do they have a mix with some soutsiders ?

UCD - do they have a proper fanbase from the are around Belfield or are most of the supporters people who have been connected to the club in some way ?

Fingal - might be a little early for them but are there any specific areas where it appears they are starting to draw support ?

Bray - mostly Bray or many from Shankill or further away (Wicklow or south Dublin) ?

did Dublin City have any type of support (even 100-200 fans ) ?

any opinions / anecdotal evidence welcome !
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; 23/07/2010 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Bohs: north inner city, Phibsborough, Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Glasnevin, Finglas, Cabra, Ballymun, Beaumont and Artane mostly. A few other small pockets around north and north-west dublin. Not too many from north east.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Bohs: north inner city, Phibsborough, Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Glasnevin, Finglas, Cabra, Ballymun, Beaumont and Artane mostly. A few other small pockets around north and north-west dublin. Not too many from north east.
    if you had to guess, what percentage would you say come from the area within walking distance of Dalymount (inner city, Phibsborough, Cabra) and what percentage from the rest of the northside ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    And there's at least one fan in Tallaght who dares to wear the Bohs shirt..

Bohs as SkStu

Rovers, the vast majority of the southside, Rathfarnham/Milltown/Dundrum/Ballinteer/Dun Laoghaire/Tallaght. Very few in the north-west, but the Northside Supporters Club does fine..
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    thats a hard thing to estimate accurately but there are big representations from Finglas, Blanchardstown, Ballymun, Glasnevin and Beaumont/Artane. At a guess id say 30-40% of the attendees come from the areas you listed. Possibly more.

Actually, quite a few of our fans now also live further out in parts of Meath and Louth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
    his brothers a hoop!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx- View Post

Bohs as SkStu

Rovers, the vast majority of the southside, Rathfarnham/Milltown/Dundrum/Ballinteer/Dun Laoghaire/Tallaght. Very few in the north-west, but the Northside Supporters Club does fine..
    and the Tallaght / southside divide ? how would you break it up ? still mostly fans from the traditional strongholds ?

Actually, quite a few of our fans now also live further out in parts of Meath and Louth.
    wouldn't they just be people originally from the northside (or whose parents supported Bohs) ?
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; 23/07/2010 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    his brothers a hoop!
    And so he should be! Redress the imbalance

The Tallaght/southside divide is harder to call. It might not be far off 50/50 of a full attendance
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I'm a Pats supporter but I live on the northside... Bohs, Fingal and Shels are all much closer than Pats but family ties lie in Inchicore so Pats will always be my club

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd say Rovers probably have the entire southside and large parts of the west to themselves. Unfortunately those are the parts of the city with the most diehard Liverpool and Manchester United fans.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    those are the parts of the city with the most diehard Liverpool and Manchester United fans.
    why do you say that ?

I live near Ballybrack (not far from Dun Laoghaire) on the southside and the support for Liverpool in working class areas is very visible, if you pass through a council estate you will nearly always see kids in Liverpool shirts (Liverpool much more than Man Utd - in fact more than all the English other clubs combined)

always assumed it was like that everywhere, maybe not ?

see the odd Rovers shirt, and have seen some Rovers graffiti, never seen any other Irish shirts locally
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; 24/07/2010 at 12:32 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Because I live there, for one. But mainly because Rovers is the only team we've ever really had down here (besides UCD) and they've been AWOL for 20 years.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    Bohemians - how many from the area close to Dalymount and how many from the wider northside ? any other areas in the northside in particular have decent numbers of fans ?

Shelbourne - are they really a northside club drawing most of their fans from areas near Tolka ? or do they have a mix with some soutsiders ?

UCD - do they have a proper fanbase from the are around Belfield or are most of the supporters people who have been connected to the club in some way ?

Fingal - might be a little early for them but are there any specific areas where it appears they are starting to draw support ?

any opinions / anecdotal evidence welcome !
    Ok well as a fingal fan first and foremost i can say the singing fans are almost all from swords (rivervalley), late teens early twenties with younger ones coming up the ranks....They mostly attract north county Dublin, north of swords. I live in santry so morton is my back garden., they have connections out in blanch too i think. Lep could maybe answer in more detail.

Before fingal came along i wudve been a mildish bohs fan (thence my detour to salzburg last year), cos i went to school in cabra alot of the lads went on about them (played underage teams) etc...

I always associate shels with southside, but the only fans i know are northsiders. They probly get an alright crowd from drumcondra anyways.

UCD dont get as much students as you would think unfortunately....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    Ok well as a fingal fan first and foremost i can say the singing fans are almost all from swords (rivervalley), late teens early twenties with younger ones coming up the ranks....They mostly attract north county Dublin, north of swords. I live in santry so morton is my back garden., they have connections out in blanch too i think. Lep could maybe answer in more detail.

I always associate shels with southside, but the only fans i know are northsiders. They probly get an alright crowd from drumcondra anyways.
    how many fans do you think you have now ? I'm talking about people not connected to the club (or friends or family of people connected to the club) and who go to most games

200 ? 500 ?

do you think the club is mostly concentrating on the north east of the county to drum up support ? (Lusk, Skerries, Swords)

Surprised they are targeting Blanch too, it is in Fingal but is Bohs country

Shelbourne were based in Ringsend club until the 1950s -I wonder how many of their fans are still from Ringsend area (or had parents who were)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Most Bray supporters seem to be from the town, they thin out fairly quickly as you move away from the Carlisle (although I still get people asking me the score in the game all the way to my front door just short of Shankill village).

The club needs to target catchment areas along the DART line to Dalkey and beyond, and into Dublin along the N11. Much easier to get to Bray on public transport than to Tallaght.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Is it? I don't even know what bus I'd take to Bray.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Most Bray supporters seem to be from the town, they thin out fairly quickly as you move away from the Carlisle (although I still get people asking me the score in the game all the way to my front door just short of Shankill village).

The club needs to target catchment areas along the DART line to Dalkey and beyond, and into Dublin along the N11. Much easier to get to Bray on public transport than to Tallaght.
    any support from Greystones do you think ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts

wouldn't they just be people originally from the northside (or whose parents supported Bohs) ?
    yeah but you were talking about walking distance from the ground etc so i thought you were looking for distance as opposed to origin. Id say it would be pretty easy just to guess the origin of most of our support. Da Northside!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    It seems on the southside, the further east you go the fewer loi fans you see. This is naturally enough seeing as the only clubs are UCD and Bray (at a streeeeeeetch) but also I'd imagine has to do with the affluence of the areas - a lot of people just "wouldn't step foot in a loi ground". It's not that they don't like football but when they manage to take a break from their Manchesters and Liverpools, it's the RDS they head to for their live fix.....to each their own I suppose.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Shelbourne were based in Ringsend club until the 1950s -I wonder how many of their fans are still from Ringsend area (or had parents who were)
    I lived in Ringsend during the college year just passed and there would be a few Shels fans knocking around alright. When I went to Shels v Town in Tolka a few weeks back I saw plenty of faces at the match that I would have seen around Ringsend.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast