Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What parts of the city do Dublin clubs draw their fans from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Seeing as others are, I'll open up to it..... I'm currently in quite a posh southside, rugby playing school. I am the but of many jokes regarding football which actually really gets to me. I have to put up with so much crap (particularily from two lads in my biology class! - Arsenal V Chelsea or should I say "us versus you"....."we should have hammered you", "yous have no one up front" etc.). There's a worrying trend I've noticed particularily among people my age to take a disliking to all things Irish. I'm not expecting fierce Republicanism but there's so much I try to defend from everything to our national soccer team and league to our language. I remember once being asked "Why are you going to the Ireland match? - they're ****." They all seem to miss the point that football should NEVER be about supporting the biggest and best team. What puzzles me the most is how they derive satisfaction from the victories of a team hundreds of miles away that they CHOSE to support based on their likely successes......

Anyway, now that I've gotten that out of my system, there are only a few other loi fans in my year - a Bray "fan" (really he just watches MNS) and one or two UCD fans.

And with that I'm off to Irish College to wear my Pat's jersey with pride (some of us still have the Leaving Cert to do, you know....).
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    Like the scholarship with DCU they have a connection with Blanch IT i think.i think as well and go around to alot of the local schools in the area, theres a speciall fan club for school kids (freddies fan club or something). The local teams provide the ball boys, as far out as skerries, balbriggan malahide, and half time matches. I know the try and target Blanch but wouldnt hear as much as connections with north county dublin. Well there was 2000 at dalymount, and we all put alot more effort into going obv (the singing section was bigger than it has been in awhile)., kids got infree and so families (great family day out it was!) probably made up a bulk of the attendence., id say 500 at least for good fans not connected to the club (our average is just under 1000)., but i wouldnt know for sure., we def dont get a good large crowd going away in dublin., and because its base is swords and beyond santry isnt exacly walking distance., anywhere outside swords ur relying on the dreaded 33....

lep feel free to disagree
    Id say you are fairly spot on there Sparky. At our worst this season we have had 400 to 500 SF fans and at our best we had about 1000 (at morton). While our attendances are not great (whos are?) We have grown each season we have played in the LOI. Our away support would be between 60 and hundred in the dublin areas and east coast. There was about 30 to 40 in galway and feck all in sligo that time (we already know how to beat sligo so why go see it again)

Iv spoken to fans from Swords, Malahide, Lusk, Rush, Balbriggan, Blanch, Santry and so on. Swords is definitely the main area but people are coming out from elsewhere also. Nice little group of us popping up in Rush btw. Its a building process and hopefully it continues, but it will not happen over night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    Seeing as others are, I'll open up to it..... I'm currently in quite a posh southside, rugby playing school. I am the but of many jokes regarding football which actually really gets to me. I have to put up with so much crap (particularily from two lads in my biology class! - Arsenal V Chelsea or should I say "us versus you"....."we should have hammered you", "yous have no one up front" etc.). There's a worrying trend I've noticed particularily among people my age to take a disliking to all things Irish. I'm not expecting fierce Republicanism but there's so much I try to defend from everything to our national soccer team and league to our language. I remember once being asked "Why are you going to the Ireland match? - they're ****." They all seem to miss the point that football should NEVER be about supporting the biggest and best team. What puzzles me the most is how they derive satisfaction from the victories of a team hundreds of miles away that they CHOSE to support based on their likely successes......

Anyway, now that I've gotten that out of my system, there are only a few other loi fans in my year - a Bray "fan" (really he just watches MNS) and one or two UCD fans.

And with that I'm off to Irish College to wear my Pat's jersey with pride (some of us still have the Leaving Cert to do, you know....).
    Hence the term, West Brit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

I think I'm the Limerick/Tipp version of you

Going to a mad GAA school and virtually everything else is identical.

Everyone supports Liverpool / Man United and I get stick for following Limerick. I've heard people say they don't care about the Irish national team too, because 'they're sh!t.'

The thought that they can identify with a bunch of Spanish / Argentinian / Portuguese players based in England to the same extent that I can identify with Tim Kiely from Tipp Town and John Tierney from Bruff boggles the mind . . .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    i go to a rugby playing southside school and support bohs

very hard when im forced to choose between watching leinster and bohs!!
    I'm guessing I was at the same school but a long time ago. There really wasn't any LoI supporters there in my time and supporting football was definitely frowned upon. Luckily my father had been bringing me to Rovers games since I was a lot younger so it was ingrained in me before I ever went to secondary school and I was never tempted to go over to the other side.

I'll always remember the embarrassment of my history teacher when I met him in Milltown at the European Cup game against Honved. "Don't tell anyone you met me here" was his parting message - I think he was worried the school might not approve (and this was 1985 - well after "the ban").
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

That's another thing I've never quite understood alright, when you "support" a team that wins all the time, especially one you have no affinity with, what do you get out of it. Winning is no achievement, so all you get is a small sense of relief when it happens. Whereas when you support someone ****e, every draw is like winning the cup. Case in point, me going mental and dancing around my flat as the news flashed up on extratime.ie that Bray were beating a bunch of college students in the Leinster Senior Fecking Cup!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Rovers once conducted a survey in the RDS, the results were 70% southside, 29% northside and 1% outside Dublin.

Surely every club in Dublin should be obliged to conduct a similar survey every season to help the FAI and promo officers to help plan how the league is promoted In Dublin.

Mario

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maseanjo View Post
    Hey Galway people, how does the big Galway/Mervue/Salthill divide break down geographically?
    Well ive alot of family from Mervue and they would be heavily invovled in the underage structures there.
    But the big rivalry in Galway is between Salthill and Mervue.
    Salthill being seen as far more affluent and middle class and Mervue being seen as far more working class.
    But because both clubs would be argueably the best underage teams in Connacht they poach players from all over Galway and some further afield.
    As for where Galway United fans come from I really dont know, I think they come from all over really, doesnt seem to be one specific location that is a hotbed of support but you would be better off getting a Galway United fan to answer that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    With Galway and Foras, is it mainly the city based supporter that turns out or is there a large support or interest from around the county?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lep View Post
    With Galway and Foras, is it mainly the city based supporter that turns out or is there a large support or interest from around the county?
    Can I ask the same for "town clubs" like Longford, Monaghan and Finn Harps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Haven't heard of that club. I could answer the question if it was about Cork City FC though.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Haven't heard of that club. I could answer the question if it was about Cork City FC though.
    Their name still is Cork City Foras Coop is it not? Until the end of the season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    That is the clubs full name. Yes. Lep asked about FORAS, which is a supporter group.
    Last edited by sullanefc; 25/07/2010 at 7:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    i go to a rugby playing southside school and support bohs

very hard when im forced to choose between watching leinster and bohs!!
    Off to the Northside with you, We dont want your kind over here
    Here on a technicality.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Rovers once conducted a survey in the RDS, the results were 70% southside, 29% northside and 1% outside Dublin.
    that's surprising

I suppose in Derry we have even more complicated equations, (setting aside support for English and Scottish teams). Derry City support is lagely from the nationalist part of the City and East Inishowen, whereas other parts of Donegal mainly support Harps (who really ought to be based in Letterkenny). Unionist residents of Londonderry support Institute whilst nationalists from outside the city tend to follow Gaelic and have little interest in football. Unionist soccer supporters from outside the city have a choice between Institute, Limavady United and Coleraine, or cricket.
    Institute don't have a big following do they ? Do their supporters go much for Union Jacks etc at games ?

Would you say most local Protestants are hostile or indifferent towards DCFC or like to see it do well ?

Maybe its because they ban flags but I always thought DCFC didn't have as strong a Catholic identity as Cliftonville or Donegal Celtic. Do you think that's correct ?

I was initially only interested in Dublin clubs for this threead but info on other clubs welcome too

Limerick, Cork and Waterford for example - is their support centred in any particular area of their cities ? Are there any junior clubs in inn those cities that could be candidates for LOI in the future ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    With Cork City a large proportion would come from the City itself , but you get supporters coming from towns across the county aswell.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    That is the clubs full name. Yes. Lep asked about FORAS, which is a supporter group.
    Any chance you lot can stick to the one name please as its getting a bit confusing at this stage.

You knew very well what i was talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Any chance you lot can stick to the one name please as its getting a bit confusing at this stage.

You knew very well what i was talking about.
    You are either easily confused or being disingenuous. Either way, I think the petty sniping that is targeted at Sporting Fingal on here has rubbed off on their own fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    Limerick, Cork and Waterford for example - is their support centred in any particular area of their cities ? Are there any junior clubs in inn those cities that could be candidates for LOI in the future ?
    Limerick supporters come from all over the city and county with a fair smattering from Clare, North Tipp and North Kerry.

Having said that when we were in Hogan Park you tended to get a fair few more people from Southill than we do in Jackman. Which is down to geography and laziness rather than any pressing reason. If Hogan Park had been on the Northside you would have probably had more from Moyross/Ballynanty. Basically, Hogan Park was a handier walk, you'd still get them down to Jackman for a big game.

There are certainly Junior Clubs in Limerick that could comfortably compete in, and indeed challenge for the First Division if they felt like it. But they have zero interest I'd say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I suppose in Derry we have even more complicated equations, (setting aside support for English and Scottish teams). Derry City support is lagely from the nationalist part of the City and East Inishowen, whereas other parts of Donegal mainly support Harps (who really ought to be based in Letterkenny). Unionist residents of Londonderry support Institute whilst nationalists from outside the city tend to follow Gaelic and have little interest in football. Unionist soccer supporters from outside the city have a choice between Institute, Limavady United and Coleraine, or cricket.
    We have a few supporters in Tyrone as well Maseanjo - especially around Strabane. Not as many as we used to though, and there are a few Harps fans around that way now.

We would also have a few fans in Co Derry outside of the city - but very few these days, and not as many as versus the 80's.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast