Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What parts of the city do Dublin clubs draw their fans from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Most Bray supporters seem to be from the town, they thin out fairly quickly as you move away from the Carlisle (although I still get people asking me the score in the game all the way to my front door just short of Shankill village).

The club needs to target catchment areas along the DART line to Dalkey and beyond, and into Dublin along the N11. Much easier to get to Bray on public transport than to Tallaght.
    bray has a fairly big casual(vry casual) supporter base in like around sallynoggin and places like that but problem is hardly anybody bothers goin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Is it? I don't even know what bus I'd take to Bray.
    Depends which part of Ballybrack you're from, but it'd be either walking down to the DART at Killiney, or hopping on the 45A.

(I've just checked the timetable for the 45A, and I'd forgotten how ****e Irish public transport was! Still, if you didn't mind spending half an hour in Bray before kick-off, it'd be fine)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    bray has a fairly big casual(vry casual) supporter base in like around sallynoggin and places like that but problem is hardly anybody bothers goin.
    That's a big problem. The club actually have a huge number of people who consider themselves supporters, but they don't do enough to reach out and connect with them, and get them excited about games. They have to do something to get these people to make the step from checking how Bray did in the Saturday papers, to actually making the trip down on a Friday night. Unfortunately, as I said, Dublin Bus don't make it easy, but I used to cycle to Dun Laoghaire from Shankill fairly regularly. It all can be done!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    It seems on the southside, the further east you go the fewer loi fans you see. This is naturally enough seeing as the only clubs are UCD and Bray (at a streeeeeeetch) but also I'd imagine has to do with the affluence of the areas - a lot of people just "wouldn't step foot in a loi ground". It's not that they don't like football but when they manage to take a break from their Manchesters and Liverpools, it's the RDS they head to for their live fix.....to each their own I suppose.
    do people think Rovers (from their traditional areas) have a higher proportion of middle class fans than the other clubs or are they also mostly working class ?

Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    sallynoggin, really ? I thought Shankill maybe but wasn't expecting that far north

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    From an outsiders perspective I was always under the impression that in the Milltown days Shams fans were alot more middle class than the likes of Bohs and Pats.
    Obviously that has changed now with them moving to Tallaght but is there any truth in that very rough generalisation?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    From an outsiders perspective I was always under the impression that in the Milltown days Shams fans were alot more middle class than the likes of Bohs and Pats.
    Obviously that has changed now with them moving to Tallaght but is there any truth in that very rough generalisation?
    i would say from my (limited) knowledge that Pats, Bohs and Shelbourne are almost 100% working class (maybe that's wrong?) and Rovers are at least mixed

i would be interested to know what people think the actual proportion of middle class fans is (ie the proportion of non-Tallaght fans who are middle class)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Rovers have always had a middle class support base but they tended not to bother going to matches. During the later homeless years when we seemed to change ground twice a season it would have been only the hardcore working class fans, but now that we've got a settled stadium there are more families and whatnot going in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    A lot of truth in it I think. In Milltown kids at the games would have been coming from Milltown, Dundrum, Terenure and places like that to watch games. Now these are adults, many of whom still attending from those 'middle-class' areas. Also, since the move to Tallaght there's big support in more middle-class areas like Tempelogue, Terenure, Rathfarnham which are all just down the road. Of course being from Tallaght, and playing all over the city in the last twenty years means we have supporters from all over and from all backgrounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    sallynoggin, really ? I thought Shankill maybe but wasn't expecting that far north
    I supported Bray when we lived in Glenageary, and I have a friend in Leopardstown who follows them casually as well. (Also one from Balbriggan, but that's only because I insisted on dragging him all the way across the city for games!!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    any support from Greystones do you think ?
    Theres a bit yeah, used to be loads of greystoners going to bray games. A lot of them teenagers aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I'd say Rovers probably have the entire southside and large parts of the west to themselves. Unfortunately those are the parts of the city with the most diehard Liverpool and Manchester United fans.
    Not true, Pats fans would come from Inchicore, Drimnagh, Crumlin, Ballyfermot,Clondalkin mainly, Upto a few years ao Tallaght would have been considerded a Pats area but obviously not anymore
    Here on a technicality.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Tallaght, really? Clondalkin I could believe, but I would have thought Rovers would have a hold on Tallaght going back to the Milltown/RDS days. Before my time, mind.

I wouldn't really consider Inchicore and Drimnagh as southside, even though they're below the river. It's Dublin City council up there, isn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Tallaght, really? Clondalkin I could believe, but I would have thought Rovers would have a hold on Tallaght going back to the Milltown/RDS days. Before my time, mind.

I wouldn't really consider Inchicore and Drimnagh as southside, even though they're below the river. It's Dublin City council up there, isn't it?
    It is most certainly is the Southside, yep DCC it is, Alot of Pats fans would be from Tallaght
    Here on a technicality.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Rovers have always had a middle class support base but they tended not to bother going to matches. During the later homeless years when we seemed to change ground twice a season it would have been only the hardcore working class fans, but now that we've got a settled stadium there are more families and whatnot going in.
    i laughed :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Not true, Pats fans would come from Inchicore, Drimnagh, Crumlin, Ballyfermot,Clondalkin mainly, Upto a few years ao Tallaght would have been considerded a Pats area but obviously not anymore
    yeah a few tallaght saints around
    think someone has a banner at the games

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    (stands up) I'm upper class and I follow Rovers.
    well thats what I say at the weekly anonymous meetings anyway.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I live near Perrystown/Templeogue, and although Rovers do have a few bodies about, there are a few Pats fans as well. Not sure how many 'diehards' can be included in that number, but yeah, in this neck of the woods the support of both clubs tends to cross over - it couldn't be 'claimed' by one or the other. Same in Tallaght/Clondalkin/Lucan, where Pats would have had the majority of floating support in the '90's, but it's a little more 'even' now.

As regards to middle-class fans, I went to a very middle-class school, which boasted supporters of all main Dublin clubs, and this would be in the heart of the 'posh' southside. Not sure if the school's only Shels fan still follows them, but the Pats, Bohs and Rovers contingent are still regulars at games. And this was a very small school, with no real footballing ethos to its name.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    how many fans do you think you have now ? I'm talking about people not connected to the club (or friends or family of people connected to the club) and who go to most games

200 ? 500 ?

do you think the club is mostly concentrating on the north east of the county to drum up support ? (Lusk, Skerries, Swords)

Surprised they are targeting Blanch too, it is in Fingal but is Bohs country

Shelbourne were based in Ringsend club until the 1950s -I wonder how many of their fans are still from Ringsend area (or had parents who were)

Like the scholarship with DCU they have a connection with Blanch IT i think.i think as well and go around to alot of the local schools in the area, theres a speciall fan club for school kids (freddies fan club or something). The local teams provide the ball boys, as far out as skerries, balbriggan malahide, and half time matches. I know the try and target Blanch but wouldnt hear as much as connections with north county dublin. Well there was 2000 at dalymount, and we all put alot more effort into going obv (the singing section was bigger than it has been in awhile)., kids got infree and so families (great family day out it was!) probably made up a bulk of the attendence., id say 500 at least for good fans not connected to the club (our average is just under 1000)., but i wouldnt know for sure., we def dont get a good large crowd going away in dublin., and because its base is swords and beyond santry isnt exacly walking distance., anywhere outside swords ur relying on the dreaded 33....

lep feel free to disagree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    As far as I'm concerned, Bray are Co. Wicklows LOI representative.

Which is why I drive up from Arklow most weeks and take a few with me when I can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintmaniac View Post
    As regards to middle-class fans, I went to a very middle-class school, which boasted supporters of all main Dublin clubs, and this would be in the heart of the 'posh' southside. Not sure if the school's only Shels fan still follows them, but the Pats, Bohs and Rovers contingent are still regulars at games. And this was a very small school, with no real footballing ethos to its name.
    My school was similar (perhaps the same one!), but apart from me, we had exactly one (1) other LOI fan that I knew of. He was a Shels supporter. One of the teachers was a regular at Dalymount though.

Perhaps they were others, they might just not have been that vocal about it. I know I always chatted more about Stoke than about Bray, but that's because people were more likely to know there was a football team in Stoke.

At Uni, there was just me, and the crowds of people who laughed at me for going to watch players they were fully convinced they were better than. There were the usual suspects who supported Liverpool and Manyoo, and a few who thought they were a cut above the rest because their preference for glory hunting was in the continental leagues. We had an Inter Milan "supporter", and one fella who was Barcelona. Needless to say, he was cheering for Spain the entire way through the World Cup.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    i go to a rugby playing southside school and support bohs

very hard when im forced to choose between watching leinster and bohs!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast