Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Model club get help

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    You lost the league, although Shels were punished for winning it, but it wasn't down to fixture congestion. It was because of your results over 33 games.

When we were in the other division, we were 6 points behind the leaders with 2 games in hand in October. We won the games in hand and the rivals could do nothing about it. It was an important step towards winning that division.

When we won the top division last, we had a game in hand on Cork in the last week of the season. Winning it would bring the title home, and we did so before Cork could affect the situation any further. That's the benefit of the game in hand you have, and it's repeated the world over.
    Surely if the same game had been played two weeks earlier you'd still have gone into that round of fixtures as champions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
    I think you'll find very few people saying that without those people having a conflict of interest. Like Pats. Or Bohs.
    I think you'll find Pats and Bohs have said nothing.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I am uneasy about this postponement, and as with many issues in this league, it is open to misinterpretation or speculation about lack of even-handedness.

While personally in favour of postponements to ease congestion for Euro teams, there remains a number of unanswered questions

1) Did Dundalk, Bohs, or Fingal request any such postponements?
    2) If so did they flounder at the doors of the FAI or the opposition club?
    3) Have the FAI established a precedent of postponements subject only to the agreement of the relevant clubs
    4) If the opposition clubs agreement is the crucial element, how will FAI guard against accusations of collusion or inducements from one club to another - whether this is real or perceived?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Im not saying anything about referee decisions because i honestly believe they even out at the end of the day but youse have just been to Israel played a very tough game, one of your biggest matches in your history is on Thursday, Your next to games league are against Fingal then Bohs this game against UCD is huge in the title race IMO now instead yous will now be able to fully focus on this game later in the season and the possibilty of dropping points has fallen, You must see where im coming from as a supporter of a team thats going for the title with youse, Rovers fans would be the same if the tables were turned
    You say 'fully focus' later in the season, but surely we'll be playing a fixture backlog by then so it won't exactly be a case of having a week to prepare? Anyway, these threads usually just develop into fodder for the anti Rovers brigade on here. It was surprising though that it took so long for a Bozo to complain.
    Last edited by hoopy; 24/07/2010 at 12:42 PM.
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I am uneasy about this postponement, and as with many issues in this league, it is open to misinterpretation or speculation about lack of even-handedness.

While personally in favour of postponements to ease congestion for Euro teams, there remains a number of unanswered questions

3) Have the FAI established a precedent of postponements subject only to the agreement of the relevant clubs
    4) If the opposition clubs agreement is the crucial element, how will FAI guard against accusations of collusion or inducements from one club to another - whether this is real or perceived?
    Let's be honest here. The only reason you're 'uneasy' about this is because it was Rovers and because you've obviously believed all the excuses your manager has been making for losing games. Why don't all of you who have a problem with this complain to the clubs who wouldn't agree to cancellations, which is the main issue, or should be. Instead UCD get it in the neck for helping a fellow club out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
    Let's be honest here. The only reason you're 'uneasy' about this is because it was Rovers and because you've obviously believed all the excuses your manager has been making for losing games. Why don't all of you who have a problem with this complain to the clubs who wouldn't agree to cancellations, which is the main issue, or should be. Instead UCD get it in the neck for helping a fellow club out.
    I think you just proved one of Ezeikial's point hoppy!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    You lost the league, although Shels were punished for winning it, but it wasn't down to fixture congestion. It was because of your results over 33 games.

When we were in the other division, we were 6 points behind the leaders with 2 games in hand in October. We won the games in hand and the rivals could do nothing about it. It was an important step towards winning that division.

When we won the top division last, we had a game in hand on Cork in the last week of the season. Winning it would bring the title home, and we did so before Cork could affect the situation any further. That's the benefit of the game in hand you have, and it's repeated the world over.
    Bizarre, just bizarre.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    You say 'fully focus' later in the season, but surely we'll be playing a fixture backlog by then so it won't exactly be a case of having a week to prepare? Anyway, these threads usually just develop into fodder for the anti Rovers brigade on here. It was surprising though that it took so long for a Bozo to complain.
    It depends when the fixture is played

Oh and before i forget, Congradulations, Great result, Hope you have a great trip to Italy and get home safely
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    if UCD agreed then thats all there is to it. I understand the frustration of Dundalk fans though.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Pat's (for instance) would have been mad to agree to a postponement when Dundalk were suffering from injuries and Foster was already losing his cool in the press. Rovers just got lucky that a postponement suits both sides on this occasion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    It depends when the fixture is played

Oh and before i forget, Congradulations, Great result, Hope you have a great trip to Italy and get home safely
    Apparantely the women in Modena have a bit of a reputation, so my stay may well be extended

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Let's be honest here. The only reason you're 'uneasy' about this is because it was Rovers and because you've obviously believed all the excuses your manager has been making for losing games.
    It is quite staggering how you could interpret what I posted in that way.

For the record, there are more reasons then the 7 games in 22 days for Dundalks poor results in July, and I am in favour of the postponement of the Shamrock Rovers match - but I suggest you re-read what I posted if you are interested in my valid concerns.

Why don't all of you who have a problem with this complain to the clubs who wouldn't agree to cancellations, which is the main issue, or should be. Instead UCD get it in the neck for helping a fellow club out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    if UCD agreed then thats all there is to it. I understand the frustration of Dundalk fans though.
    No - its not that simple. Transparency is also an issue. If all is okay once the opposing clubs agree (which is not at all clear), then there is the potential issue of unfair (and possibly illegal) inducements from one club to another that also comes into the picture

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    No - its not that simple. Transparency is also an issue. If all is okay once the opposing clubs agree (which is not at all clear), then there is the potential issue of unfair (and possibly illegal) inducements from one club to another that also comes into the picture
    i thought from one of the UCDs fans that UCD had granted their permission. Its obviously a lot different if not. To talk of inducements is paranoia in the extreme and im partial to the odd bout of it myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    FFS lads...the important thing here is that the right thing has been done.
    And it sets a precedence going forward.
    If the FAI aren't going to postpone games to help teams in Europe, then I'd like to see the teams agree to do it themselves.

It's time to put rivalries behind you and get behind all our teams in Europe.
    The better they do - the higher profile they raise for our league. And the better chance for all of us to pull in those badly needed extra punters each week.

Good luck to Rovers - I hope they beat Juve.
    As for the league - the best team will win it. It all balances out over the course of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Is Rovers game next week postponed? if not, why not?
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Forget all this chat about possible advantages, and underhand dealings. Maybe it's just a case of good sportsmanship from UCD. I know any club I've played in will accept a reasonable request for a postponement instead of digging our heels in and hoping for a forfeit, and I'd hope Bray would do the same thing if we were asked. There's more to football than winning at any cost.
    As far as I know we did agree to postpone a fixture against Shels a few years back, but they chose to play the match to avoid congestion. Then Fenlon had a go at us for making life harder for them and subsequently for the league to progress.

It's a sporting move on behalf of UCD to comply with Rovers' request, fair play to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    i thought from one of the UCDs fans that UCD had granted their permission. Its obviously a lot different if not. To talk of inducements is paranoia in the extreme and im partial to the odd bout of it myself.
    If you mean my post, I don't know whether we agreed or not but I'd expect that we did. I very much doubt there were 'inducements' from Rovers.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaJon View Post
    FFS lads...the important thing here is that the right thing has been done.
    And it sets a precedence going forward.
    If the FAI aren't going to postpone games to help teams in Europe, then I'd like to see the teams agree to do it themselves.

It's time to put rivalries behind you and get behind all our teams in Europe.
    The better they do - the higher profile they raise for our league. And the better chance for all of us to pull in those badly needed extra punters each week.

Good luck to Rovers - I hope they beat Juve.
    As for the league - the best team will win it. It all balances out over the course of the season.
    Will ya quit with the Brian Cowen speak??
    The margins could be so small between winning and coming second or third this season that the "best team will win it" argument just does not stand up in my opinion.
    Stuff like this can and will have a huge influence and Shams have been handed an advantage at this stage. Through no fault of their own it must be said but it's a bonus for them nonetheless, otherwise why would they have asked UCD in the first place?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    If you mean my post, I don't know whether we agreed or not but I'd expect that we did. I very much doubt there were 'inducements' from Rovers.
    There is hardly much doubt that UCD agreed to the postponement - and fair play to them for doing so. The FAI statement would surely have been contradicted by UCD if it was otherwise
    http://www.airtricityleague.com/inde...-ucd-postponed
    Following a request from Shamrock Rovers and with the agreement of U.C.D., the above Airtricity League Premier Division League fixture has been postponed in order to facilitate Shamrock Rovers with their UEFA Europa League tie v Juventus.
    I raised the questions of possible collusion or inducements from one club to another (although I am making no allegations in relation to Rovers / UCD), and other questions of even-handedness and fair play - both real and preceived.

The FAI have a poor record in this area and clarification on the questions previously raised would be illuminating:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Is Rovers game next week postponed? if not, why not?
    Anyone?
    ---

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast