Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Model club get help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    In my eyes, there's a huge advantage to having games in hand. Doesn't mean you'll take it, but it's the "joker" card you have up your sleeve until it's played. The later in the season it is, the bigger it becomes. Now, most clubs will all have played the same number of games. At least for a while.

We've played all 22 games to date, more than most clubs, so all the whinging over "special treatment" is a load of you-know-what.
    Last edited by mypost; 23/07/2010 at 4:06 PM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    seriously, you're insane.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    If I had a Euro for every time that accusation was thrown at me, I'd be a millionaire.

Nothing wrong with my sanity thank you. There is a lot wrong with your post.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Fair point. The idea that having a game in hand is an advantage is absolute insanity. The idea that at the most crucial stge of the seaosn, you'd like more games to play is beyond insanity
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its the right decision but Im in shock that the FAI agreed to the switch after al thats happened

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge
    The idea that having a game in hand is an advantage. The idea that at the most crucial stge of the seaosn, you'd like more games to play
    Many leagues worldwide have been aided/settled as a result of that advantage, including in our last championship year. If you can't see the benefits of winning a game in hand late in the season to overhaul your rivals, fair enough.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to differ on it, because I'm not for turning on it. Case closed.
    Last edited by mypost; 23/07/2010 at 4:31 PM.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    This far from hands Rovers the league, if anything it makes it harder for them to win.
    People like to get their excuses in early. If we win the league it'll be because we're the best team in the league, but whenever we get a dodgy peno(we're the only team thats ever got one dont you know) or anything works out for us it's all a big conspiracy. I'm sure when Pats won the league under Dolan that all those frees they used to get around the box were 100% cosher and weren't dives.
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
    People like to get their excuses in early. If we win the league it'll be because we're the best team in the league, but whenever we get a dodgy peno(we're the only team thats ever got one dont you know) or anything works out for us it's all a big conspiracy. I'm sure when Pats won the league under Dolan that all those frees they used to get around the box were 100% cosher and weren't dives.
    Im not saying anything about referee decisions because i honestly believe they even out at the end of the day but youse have just been to Israel played a very tough game, one of your biggest matches in your history is on Thursday, Your next to games league are against Fingal then Bohs this game against UCD is huge in the title race IMO now instead yous will now be able to fully focus on this game later in the season and the possibilty of dropping points has fallen, You must see where im coming from as a supporter of a team thats going for the title with youse, Rovers fans would be the same if the tables were turned
    Here on a technicality.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Sensible thing to do if UCD agreed to it. I would happy to see Rovers agree to do this to help out another club if requested if the shoe was on the other foot.

This is the biggest European game in Ireland probably since Limerick v Real 30 years ago, so makes sense to give the club involved the best chance. Just a pity the Aviva wasnt opened a few weeks earlier, probably coulda sold over 25 thousand tickets.

Mario

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I don't see anything wrong with this.

I don't know whether Rovers asked UCD first, then went to the FAI for approval, or whether they got provisional approval from the FAI, then got UCD to agree.

For those complaining, the only thing that would be a valid complaint is if two teams agreed and went to the FAI for approval, but were denied it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    As usual we bend over backwards to help other clubs and all we ever get in return is to be told that we shouldn't be in the league. We should have insisted on playing on Monday and to hell with Rovers and their European games.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    To hell with them? why? I thought we always supported our fellow LOI clubs in europe, but I suppose peoples jealousy gets the better of them sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Many leagues worldwide have been aided/settled as a result of that advantage, including in our last championship year. If you can't see the benefits of winning a game in hand late in the season to overhaul your rivals, fair enough.
    It isn't the game being i hand thats the advantage, its WINNING the game thats the advantage. it doesn't matter if its the ffirst game of the season, or last game.

PLaying games are regular intervals is far more desirable thatn having 8 games in 25 days. All the games in hand are then a hindrance as players are knackered
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddickcule View Post
    I thought we always supported our fellow LOI clubs in europe,
    There is no we. Think for yourself> If you want to support LOI teams in europe. Good luck to you
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    During Derry's uefa cup run we had games postponed, one was between ourselves and Drogheda when both teams were playing in Europe. I think it was a bad decision as it ended up costing us the league when we played Drogheda 3 times in 9 days as well as insane fixture congestion with the League Cup, FAI Cup and congested league run in.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derrymac View Post
    During Derry's uefa cup run we had games postponed, one was between ourselves and Drogheda when both teams were playing in Europe. I think it was a bad decision as it ended up costing us the league when we played Drogheda 3 times in 9 days as well as insane fixture congestion with the League Cup, FAI Cup and congested league run in.
    Well having to play you lot between our two Salzberg matches probably cost us considering we conceded a goal in the last ten mins.

If the FAI are going to allow teams to postpone games for European matches, then all teams should be allowed to do it and not just the "model club"

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If the two clubs agreed I don't see why the FAI wouldn't allow them to postpone it. It just happened to suit UCD to agree on this occasion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Forget all this chat about possible advantages, and underhand dealings. Maybe it's just a case of good sportsmanship from UCD. I know any club I've played in will accept a reasonable request for a postponement instead of digging our heels in and hoping for a forfeit, and I'd hope Bray would do the same thing if we were asked. There's more to football than winning at any cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derrymac
    You lost the league, although Shels were punished for winning it, but it wasn't down to fixture congestion. It was because of your results over 33 games.

When we were in the other division, we were 6 points behind the leaders with 2 games in hand in October. We won the games in hand and the rivals could do nothing about it. It was an important step towards winning that division.

When we won the top division last, we had a game in hand on Cork in the last week of the season. Winning it would bring the title home, and we did so before Cork could affect the situation any further. That's the benefit of the game in hand you have, and it's repeated the world over.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    As usual we bend over backwards to help other clubs and all we ever get in return is to be told that we shouldn't be in the league. We should have insisted on playing on Monday and to hell with Rovers and their European games.
    I think you'll find very few people saying that without those people having a conflict of interest. Like Pats. Or Bohs.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast