Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Financial Implications of Euro Exit for Bohs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    good posts mrtndvn. Find it hard to disagree with most your assessments (with the exception that what happened in Derry was not exclusively his fault. Sure he signed a few bangers on a hefty wedge but those signings were sanctioned).

I personally feel he is an excellent manager in a lot of ways but i think that he took his eye off the ball at the beginning of the season after the Dundee United shenanigans. When he should have been bringing the new players that he had signed into the fold and part of the team, he was talking to DUFC. It was always going to be a challenge bringing in that amount of new players anyway but he also lost 2-3 critical weeks of team building and planning. I think it set us back big time and i think he has to accept some of the blame for that. His team selections and tactics this year have baffled me too in a lot of ways. That said, im not too sure there are many over on thebohs.com that agree with me as most are steaming at the crop of imposters that played on Tuesday evening.

Appreciate your posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    When he should have been bringing the new players that he had signed into the fold and part of the team, he was talking to DUFC. It was always going to be a challenge bringing in that amount of new players anyway but he also lost 2-3 critical weeks of team building and planning.
    If I was a Bohs fan I'd be happy that Fenlon is still at the club, I'd rather lose those 2 weeks of pre-season than to not have him at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayjames View Post
    If I was a Bohs fan I'd be happy that Fenlon is still at the club, I'd rather lose those 2 weeks of pre-season than to not have him at all.
    generally i agree but its my opinion, and thats all, that we lost him then. He lost focus, got distracted and has been playing catch up since.

Plus his new signings havent, for the most part, performed for him and he has made some poor team selections, trying to keep all the players happy. Then the bonus thing kicked off and it all culminated in the TNS game. A perfect storm.

Despite my state of depression the last few days, there are positives to be drawn from this debacle. Painful ones but necessary.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    What ? some posters on Bohs.com pessimistic ? how utterly surprising

Can only relay facts as I understand them, so yes, I could be wrong but I have seen no evidence to cotradict my view yet. as with your own "ultras" website some posters are not always 100% rational -especially after a really, really depressing result (remember the calls for O'Neill out earlier in the season ?). I post on and read Bohs.com so dont need the "education" thank you (prefer to get my info as a club member )
    Actually Marino I was reffering to the posts in the members forum on bohs.com and Im looking forward to hearing your and SKs views on developements over the coming weeks,A move to part time time football before the end of the season seems to be at odds with your understanding of the situation,will you vote for or against at the EGM next week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoversHead View Post
    Actually Marino I was reffering to the posts in the members forum on bohs.com and Im looking forward to hearing your and SKs views on developements over the coming weeks,A move to part time time football before the end of the season seems to be at odds with your understanding of the situation,will you vote for or against at the EGM next week?
    what posts would these be? Specifics please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    unless you mean this article in the herald.

Wow! Top exclusive sources youve got there...

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/bo...e-2268463.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Thats ridiculous.
    Nutsy is far and away the best manager in the league, he spends what is given and brings success.
    Did well in Derry, didn't he?
    Last edited by poster; 22/07/2010 at 10:15 PM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maseanjo View Post
    ...... and in the face of trying to pick up the pieces in the wake of arrogance and incompetence on the part of those who "run" your club you might have to climb down off the high horse on which you are currently seated.
    This "arrogance and incompetence" (and the two are very closely linked) is by now well established. Many otherwise intelligent people who are members of Bohs have facilitated this recklessness and massive risk taking.

I doubt that Bohs immediate financial challenges are anywhere near terminal - they are still well placed to win the league for example - but unless there is a sea change in attitude it is hard to have confidence that the current "big club" ethos that pervades is conducive to guiding the club through the changes that are obviously needed.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I think it's an interesting point to make that Bohs have 8 more professional players than Rangers.
    If you've nothing good to say, say it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/bo...s-2266497.html

“I feel low and I did feel like walking away from it all. We need to have a look at everything, starting with my own position. I don't want to walk away but we have to reassess everything.

"We will have to look at letting players go, and fairly soon. I will have a look at that over the next day or two and see where we stand.

"I don't want to let players go but I think I will have to. I need to talk to the people within the club. We will take stock and see where we want to go. We are struggling to carry on so we need to sit down and take action,"
    Jesus that really is downbeat ! Bray @ 9/1 to win tonoight, might not be a bad bet but i've no doubt a backlash is coming our way.... This is not thye end of Bohs in the League title by a long way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    good posts mrtndvn. Find it hard to disagree with most your assessments (with the exception that what happened in Derry was not exclusively his fault. Sure he signed a few bangers on a hefty wedge but those signings were sanctioned).

I personally feel he is an excellent manager in a lot of ways but i think that he took his eye off the ball at the beginning of the season after the Dundee United shenanigans. When he should have been bringing the new players that he had signed into the fold and part of the team, he was talking to DUFC. It was always going to be a challenge bringing in that amount of new players anyway but he also lost 2-3 critical weeks of team building and planning. I think it set us back big time and i think he has to accept some of the blame for that. His team selections and tactics this year have baffled me too in a lot of ways. That said, im not too sure there are many over on thebohs.com that agree with me as most are steaming at the crop of imposters that played on Tuesday evening.

Appreciate your posts.
    Try getting a team ready for the Premier in less than a week pal, the you might know how diffucult things are

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    Did well in Derry, didn't he?
    Brian Clough did well at Leeds didnt he?
    Alex Ferguson did well in the 1986 season didnt he?
    Marcello Lippi did well at the World Cup this year didnt he?
    etc etc etc...
    Nutsy is the best manager in the league without a doubt and any club would be lucky to have him as their manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Nutsy is the best manager in the league without a doubt and any club would be lucky to have him as their manager.
    He has easily miles above the best squad in the league. Possibly the strongest in a long, long time. He did well with Shels and Bohs having the strongest teams, but this Bohs squad is one that should be 10 points clear at this stage in this p!ss poor league. He has Raf Cretaro, Jason Byrne and Killian Brennan on the bench ffs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    He has easily miles above the best squad in the league. Possibly the strongest in a long, long time. He did well with Shels and Bohs having the strongest teams, but this Bohs squad is one that should be 10 points clear at this stage in this p!ss poor league. He has Raf Cretaro, Jason Byrne and Killian Brennan on the bench ffs!
    They have have had a relatively poor season so far indeed, under-performed greatly.
    But that is not taking away from the success he has brought to Bohs so far, steering them to their most successfull period in their history not to mention he has already won a major trophy this season.
    Its all well and good saying he has the best squad in the country but Shams are not far behind and look how relatively poor they are but then again im not surprised because I dont rate MON as a manager. Sure we could list the bench that Shams have too.
    Also it must be noted that just because you have a good squad doesnt mean success, you need a good manager to manage a good squad and Nutsy has proven he can bring success with a good squad.
    Lets not forget the likes of Sean Connor who was given alot of money to bring in players and bring success at Bohs but he failed miserably.
    Nutsys record speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 23/07/2010 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Rasputin, I just think Fenlon should be doing alot better with what he has. I won't go as far as saying he's a chequebook manager, but when you have the resources Bohs have (or maybe won't have now), you should be ahead of the rest by miles. I think Pete Mahon is probably the best manager in the league today, look what he's done with a mediocre bunch of players!

I wouldn't even mention SC in the same sentence as Fenlon or Mahon, he assembled a squad at Dalymount of 'the lads'. Fenlon actually has a talented squad that should be worlds apart points and quality wise.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    If your club has plenty of cash to build a strong squad than Fenlons your man, but if you live in the real world Pete Mahon would be a better bet,as much as Id like too I cant really blame him for Bohs predicament,the new board seem to have taken the same gamble as the comical Gerry board .Bohs will listen to offers for any of their players according to Pat today and with directors talking about going part time in a matter of weeks I think 9/1 a Bray win is worth a tenner of any mans money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Rasputin, I just think Fenlon should be doing alot better with what he has. I won't go as far as saying he's a chequebook manager, but when you have the resources Bohs have (or maybe won't have now), you should be ahead of the rest by miles. I think Pete Mahon is probably the best manager in the league today,
    But you are just judging him over this season which is a big mistake.
    He has proven over the past few seasons that he can bring success.
    Every team has a dip in form after so much success, its the natural cycle of football.
    I think Pete Mahon is probably the best manager in the league today, look what he's done with a mediocre bunch of players!
    Well this season he has probably been the biggest success of all the managers.
    But that is just this season, his record with UCD was impressive but it certainly wouldnt be "Best manager in Ireland" material.
    Lets not forget how he flopped so terribly when he managed Bohs before either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69 View Post
    Try getting a team ready for the Premier in less than a week pal, the you might know how diffucult things are
    Cry me a river, pal. This thread is about Bohs and i gave my opinions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    sickening behaviour of the players and management team that one Bohs fan witnessed during the week. Sickening.

I think anyone who witnessed the above is still in a state of shock as to the level of vulgarity showed by some of our so called superstars in the airport

Not content with keeping their heads down, Mr Higgins wandered up to the counter at Starbucks and after mulling over the options for about 5 mins a, decided to help himself to a frappacinno with whipped cream and a twizzler. Messrs McGuinness and Cronin ably assisted with Lattes, Rocky Roads and Cookies. Are these guys that divorced from reality and the average fan that they just lounge around an airport showing off their wealth like this

Other player wandered around the shops, picking up toblerones, perfumes and cashmere scarves for their loved ones. No slumming it for our heroes.

Mr Fenlon was in Burger King were your average whopper wasn't good enough for his pallet, as he barked at the staff to remove the cheese and cook it just to his liking.

In another unconfirmed reports its rumoured that an ex top LOI striker, so divorced from financial realties due to biscuit tins and LMS funds that he actually refused airport food and went across the road to the hotel where he quaffed foie gras, a lobster and a truffle risotto, where your average fan was left to count their change in the subway queue across the road

Surely others have similar tales of the vulgarity they witnessed in the airport that they can share with the ever put on support

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Brian Clough did well at Leeds didnt he?
    Alex Ferguson did well in the 1986 season didnt he?
    Marcello Lippi did well at the World Cup this year didnt he?
    etc etc etc...
    Any club except City......

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast