Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Financial Implications of Euro Exit for Bohs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I cant see how they could have included possible cl money in their budget, but I think a far more pressing issue for them is because they have gone out of europe at this stage, the windfall expected from belgian tv and whoever they could have drawn in the europa is gone. I'm fairly sure the reason fenlon is saying what has to happen is a lot to do with a rather large installment of a loan repayment is due in January to zurich and failure to pay could result in them losing the car park, which is a huge source of revenue for them. The way they have juggled their finances in recent years would suggest all eggs were in the one basket hoping a euro run would stave off the bank for another year. But with last nights capitulation, the future, long-term, is without doubt not looking too clever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Do you know how this guaranteed €330k breaks down?
    The CL is €130k per round. The EL is €90k. Also in the CL any team that doesn't make the group stages gets an additional €200k.

The €330k that Bohs get would therefore break down as two payments - €130k and €200k.

If they had beaten TNS they would have been guaranteed another €220k (€130k+€90k) minimum on top of this
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Surely if the FAI would not allow Bohs to include the prize money for 3rd place in their budget then they would not have allowed them to include monies related to progression in Europe.

So it may well hurt Bohs long term, but for this year it should not make too much of a difference.
    Why this is The FAI!
    Any thing can happen,you just have to believe!
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    The CL is €130k per round. The EL is €90k. Also in the CL any team that doesn't make the group stages gets an additional €200k.

The €330k that Bohs get would therefore break down as two payments - €130k and €200k.

If they had beaten TNS they would have been guaranteed another €220k (€130k+€90k) minimum on top of this
    Correct on this - all national champions who qualify get €130k, falling out before the group nets another €200.

It's actually a lucrative business if you're a club in one of the tiny spots who get rolled over - Andorra, San Marino, Wales, er, Ireland. The budget and expenses for a team from San Marino to win the league must be less than €200k, so it's a tidy investment - cue a clatter of feet to "invest" in the San Marino futures market!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThompson View Post
    Maybe you should become a member Ezeikial seeing as you appear still to have an almost insatiable compunction to know how Bohs do things?
    I know that this might come as a big surprise to you, but Champions League participation money is not exclusively a "Bohs thing".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maseanjo View Post
    I remember being told how European progress would provide a solution to our financial woes up in Derry about this time last year - be afraid Bohs, be very afraid!
    I remember this time last year reading in the paper that Derry needed a good run to keep things going financially and pretty much laughed at the idea that Derry could be in financial problems, but then look what happened

For Bohs I wouldn't worry, I heard & read all this after last year's early exit, and nothing happened. If ye win the league this will be all brushed under the carpet and ye'll have a similar strength squad again next year.

And I think it's vital ye release some of yere overpaid players, ones like Brennan (rubbish for over a year considering his talents), Heary (great player but too old now, maybe a different role in the club other than playing) and McGuinness (absolutely dreadful for ages, get him out as soon as possible)

anyone know how many players' contracts at bohs are finished at the end of this year?
    If you've nothing good to say, say it.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/bo...s-2266497.html

“I feel low and I did feel like walking away from it all. We need to have a look at everything, starting with my own position. I don't want to walk away but we have to reassess everything.

"We will have to look at letting players go, and fairly soon. I will have a look at that over the next day or two and see where we stand.

"I don't want to let players go but I think I will have to. I need to talk to the people within the club. We will take stock and see where we want to go. We are struggling to carry on so we need to sit down and take action,"
    I read this one as a money thing at first, but the more I think about it the more I think he might have just realised how limited/disinterested some of his players are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    That is probably true, but its almost definitely not what hes saying. Would bet any money (not with Bohs of course, they wouldn't be able to pay up) hes talking about financially.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I think going out of Europe is going to be used as an excuse for a cull - putting all the opinions together, "we've not enough money to cover your wages, so good luck" - and you get rid of the overpaid deadwood. Same as in the business world!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Except Fenlon signed every one of these players. If there's deadwood at the club it's his fault

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    To the best of my knowledge Bohs did not budget for any euro money other than what was guaranteed, so no provision made for "Andelecht money". It is no great secret (especially on here) that Bohs reconstructed board have been reviewing the business model we have and amending it to reflect the financial position we are in - budgets were cut very dramatically this year and with most of the squad out of contract for next season decisions have to be made. This exercise is currently ongoing and I can only presume this is what Nutsey referred to.
    As Dodge (and others) have pointed out Bohs have a large, expensive squad this season with Europe now over there is a question of whether we need and/or can afford such a squad. Again no great secret that some players have been a serious disappointment and that Nutsey has been looking to bring players in - this will only happen if he can shift some out. just the usual wheeling dealing that goes on at all clubs in fact. Did shams choking on run in last season impact on their budget for this season ? Of course it did or Sligo missing out on europe ? much the same thing for us after Tuesday nights disaster.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    To the best of my knowledge Bohs did not budget for any euro money other than what was guaranteed, so no provision made for "Andelecht money". It is no great secret (especially on here) that Bohs reconstructed board have been reviewing the business model we have and amending it to reflect the financial position we are in - budgets were cut very dramatically this year and with most of the squad out of contract for next season decisions have to be made. This exercise is currently ongoing and I can only presume this is what Nutsey referred to.
    As Dodge (and others) have pointed out Bohs have a large, expensive squad this season with Europe now over there is a question of whether we need and/or can afford such a squad. Again no great secret that some players have been a serious disappointment and that Nutsey has been looking to bring players in - this will only happen if he can shift some out. just the usual wheeling dealing that goes on at all clubs in fact. Did shams choking on run in last season impact on their budget for this season ? Of course it did or Sligo missing out on europe ? much the same thing for us after Tuesday nights disaster.
    Slightly different vibe coming from Bohs .com Marino,most over there seem to genuinely believe that the very existance of the club is now uncertain.Infact if you posted the above over there you would soon be educated as to the true extent of the crisis .
    Last edited by RoversHead; 22/07/2010 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Think yis are fooked marinobohs. yis should have heeded the mistakes made by previous clubs including ourselves...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoversHead View Post
    Slightly different vibe coming from Bohs .com Marino,most over there seem to genuinely believe that the very existance of the club is now uncertain.Infact if you posted the above over there you would soon be educated as to the true extent of the crisis .
    What ? some posters on Bohs.com pessimistic ? how utterly surprising

Can only relay facts as I understand them, so yes, I could be wrong but I have seen no evidence to cotradict my view yet. as with your own "ultras" website some posters are not always 100% rational -especially after a really, really depressing result (remember the calls for O'Neill out earlier in the season ?). I post on and read Bohs.com so dont need the "education" thank you (prefer to get my info as a club member )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    The very existence of bohs is not under threat, all they are doing is eating into a very prosperous future they could of had after selling Daly.

7 million in the red isnt that big of a problem if you have assets worth 20 million. The problem lays that next year it will be 9 million, year after 11 etc etc.

It's amazing how quick a club can burn through money paying wages. In Derry, I think the figure we paid out in the last 5 years in wages was in and around 10 million. Imagine the stadium we could of built with that..

Once again, Fenlon has failed to deliver targets based on the budget he was given. While winning the league looks good on paper, when you consider the resources he had to do it it's hardly a surprise. It would be a bit like Real Madrid claiming a good season last year because they gained a record points total.

I would imagine people will smell the coffee when it comes to Fenlon, three clubs he's now managed, and three clubs he's left in ruins after his departure.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I think you're forgetting about the legal battles surrounding dalymount there mrtndvn

They could very quickly becoming far more than 7 million in debt and with Zurich having a hold on the car park, and Albion owning the shopping cnetre end, their "asset" in Dalymount is worth far less than they have it listed
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    I think both marinobohs and srfc dave are looking at the best possible sererano as they would wish it however i suspect the truth lays somewhere in the middle
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    The very existence of bohs is not under threat, all they are doing is eating into a very prosperous future they could of had after selling Daly.

7 million in the red isnt that big of a problem if you have assets worth 20 million. The problem lays that next year it will be 9 million, year after 11 etc etc.

It's amazing how quick a club can burn through money paying wages. In Derry, I think the figure we paid out in the last 5 years in wages was in and around 10 million. Imagine the stadium we could of built with that..

Once again, Fenlon has failed to deliver targets based on the budget he was given. While winning the league looks good on paper, when you consider the resources he had to do it it's hardly a surprise. It would be a bit like Real Madrid claiming a good season last year because they gained a record points total.

I would imagine people will smell the coffee when it comes to Fenlon, three clubs he's now managed, and three clubs he's left in ruins after his departure.
    Bohs will not be carrying on the deficit budgeting of previous regimes (unlike other clubs we wont try and walk away from responsibilities either) and work already commenced on reversing that trend.
    Fenlon was not given a target of reaching group stages so dissapointing as Tuesday night was it is more in a football context and consideration of viability of professional football next season. At no club has Fenlon spent more money than he was allowed (unlike some other managers) so to blame him for financial difficulties is wrong - blame those that sanctioned the spending. Christ sake he was hardly at Derry long enough to do damage even if he tried !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    Thats ridiculous.
    Nutsy is far and away the best manager in the league, he spends what is given and brings success.
    He doesnt make the budget, that is not his sphere of influence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Bohs will not be carrying on the deficit budgeting of previous regimes (unlike other clubs we wont try and walk away from responsibilities either) and work already commenced on reversing that trend.
    Fenlon was not given a target of reaching group stages so dissapointing as Tuesday night was it is more in a football context and consideration of viability of professional football next season. At no club has Fenlon spent more money than he was allowed (unlike some other managers) so to blame him for financial difficulties is wrong - blame those that sanctioned the spending. Christ sake he was hardly at Derry long enough to do damage even if he tried !!!
    No one (bar the creditors) is more disgusted at what Derry, Cork et al have done in the past than me. I'm also well aware that bohs will be fine long term, and they they will service all their debts. But they are ruining their future. However, as a fan of bohemian fc, I'm sure you are well aware of this. I take no pleasure in this, I would of liked nothing more than you guys to sell up, and do something similar to what Rovers did.

Unfortunately, Fenlon was at Derry ample time to do serious damage. On top of squandering large amounts of money on players, he also left us with little chance of Setanta progression and seriously damaged our chances of European football the year after. I'm sure I don't have to tell you what European football is worth these days. All this despite been handed the best squad in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I think you're forgetting about the legal battles surrounding dalymount there mrtndvn

They could very quickly becoming far more than 7 million in debt and with Zurich having a hold on the car park, and Albion owning the shopping cnetre end, their "asset" in Dalymount is worth far less than they have it listed
    At an interest rate of 8-14%, the debt is growing rapidly daily, even forgetting about court cases. Even if things don't go their way, its still a prime bit of land and I assume debts will still be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Thats ridiculous.
    Nutsy is far and away the best manager in the league, he spends what is given and brings success.
    He doesnt make the budget, that is not his sphere of influence.
    When Fenlon was with Derry, he was working with a board that according to the FAI was part of either the best or second best ran club in the country. (Galway may have been best)

He emptied the Brandywell with unsuccessful boring football, and the clubs that he has been successful with must be the only two clubs in the world where success hasn't impacted in increased attendances.

Success is all relative, given the resources he was given, a 4-0 defeat against some team from wales is not acceptable.

I've no real desire to get into a Pat Felon debate, I've seen 1st hand what poison he is. But when you compare the state of clubs from when he is given control, to when he departs, there is a notable difference.
    MD

21. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast