Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: First Division 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Right what do people think now??

You can probably right that crap Shels side out of it now after their utter HUMILIATION last night so you're looking at two playoff spaces between ourselves, Monaghan and Waterford.

Personally, I fancy ourselves and Monaghan. I can't remember the last time I got a good report out of Waterford and the signing of Dyl seems to be going down about half as well as the signing of George O'Callaghan did.

Wouldn't have a clue who'll come second and who'll come third between ourselves and Mons though!!!

Crucial few weeks for Limerick coming up. We have Athlone at home and Mervue away, while Shels will be desperate to restore even a tiny shred of dignity against Waterford and then Mons, while Mons are in the Brandywell next week.

Tis getting INTERESTING peeps!!
    Limerick's signings has to make them favorites for 2nd imo. They were coming on strong before that and judging from the Shels game the signings haven't disrupted them.

Hard to tell after that but at a guess Mons will grab the 3rd spot, a lot will depend on if Henderson can get Waterford up for it again though. if they can get near the form they showed at the start of the season then they might do something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Based on what I've seen, Derry have been really poor since the break and have been fairly lucky to take 4 points from the Harps and Shels games.

We're obviously favourites but I'd be surprised if the lead is as large in 4 weeks time. Our young lads look to be running out of steam and without McLean both our attack and defence is significant blunted.

That said, if we manage somehow to win the next couple, its pretty much all done as regards the title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Now to beat Derry, Shelbourne and Dundalk in the next 2 weeks to make things even more perfect......
    Even an amateur team of kangaroos playing their first ever football match would fancy their chances against Dundalk right now...

Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I saw Derry v Shels the other night and Derry as champions elect were awful for a team that has only lost 1 game in 19. I don't think the weaker first division teams this season have put it up to them, they're not patch on that excellent UCD team that won the league last year. Shels have gone backwards, though I think Matthews will improve them for next season.
    First 1st Div game I've been at this season - Shels more than put it up to them until Farren broke away to equalise. The difference in finishing was clear to see between midtable and top spot..and they took advantage of the shift in momentum to take three points instead of one

Come on Mons..
    Last edited by dfx-; 02/08/2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: German keyboards
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    With Shels, Derry and Cork all still to be played at home i think we have a great chance. Hopefully the extra bit of experience that has been brought in will be a key thing in helping us secure at least a promotion place. Still plenty of chances for Mons and Waterford to drop a few points too. The only tough part for Limerick is they have to travel to the Waterford and Mons where we haven't picked up many points in recent years.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Based on what I've seen, Derry have been really poor since the break and have been fairly lucky to take 4 points from the Harps and Shels games.

We're obviously favourites but I'd be surprised if the lead is as large in 4 weeks time. Our young lads look to be running out of steam and without McLean both our attack and defence is significant blunted.

That said, if we manage somehow to win the next couple, its pretty much all done as regards the title.
    I can't comment on you running out of steam, but the kind of collapse it would take for you to lose it now is something I'd certainly expect you to avoid.

Limerick looked great in the second half against Shels. We're a team that plays very well with our tails up, but until we go ahead, we can look ordinary.

Our games away to Monaghan and Waterford will be crucial, and a result home to Derry would be useful too. The players we've brought in certainly strengthen the team - it's great to be able to bring on the calibre of substitute we do.

We've lost away to both Waterford and Monaghan, and failed to beat them at home, so it'll be a tough enough task to get past them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maseanjo View Post
    Have to agree with osarusan, whilst nobody likes to jump the gun, it would take some disasterous results for us to fail to win the Division from this position.
    I hope I get to put this quote in my signature at the end of this season

Nah, in fairness I'd have to agree. Derry should only be a few games away from all-but-securing the title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Well personally I'd rather not use the quote . . . if Limerick finish in the play-off sports I hope it's against Mons or Waterford, not Derry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Derry should win it now alright and to be fair they looked the strongest of all the teams I've seen us play. Things seem to have gone downhill for Waterford but I still fancy them to nick a play-off spot ahead of Mons. At the moment my moneys on Limerick for 2nd spot. They made a show of us last Friday. I just hope we can finish 5th ahead of Cork and Wexford at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I think it is very possible Monaghan will beat Derry this weekend, especially with Molloy and Harkin rumoured to be out injured from their friendly last night. That will have cut Derry's lead by 5 points (that's a big IF Mons win btw) over the space of 2 weeks, Im sure alarm bells will start then in the muckers camp.
    They also have Cork, Limerick and Waterford to follow so I think Kenny will see Monaghan as a huge game for them, win that and I can't see them getting caught, lose and the nerves will set in.
    Last edited by Sam_Heggy; 04/08/2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add on

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    3 dropped point for Derry and Mons making me eat my words.

Derry 50pts
    Mons 43pts
    Limerick 40pts
    Waterford 38pts
    Cork 34pts
    Shels 33pts

Mons have a tough one next week against Shels as do Derry with Cork, you would expect Limerick to pick up 3 points against Mervue.

I would predict the lead to be down to 5 points next week. All getting interesting all of a sudden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Great night of results there.

How do we see the Monaghan vs Shels game going, lads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Ever wish you'd kept your big trap shut? Like most losing fans not at all happy with the ref, but shocking defence, go on like that and we'll be ;ooking nervously over our shoulders ...
    Ye were awarded 2 penalties and your not happy with ref?

I really wish I went to this game, 5 goals, 3 penalties, 1 red card and a big Monaghan crowd making noise, would have been a good one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    A decent game and the biggest roar in the Brandywell for ages when Farren scored a brilliant equalizer and then the ref gave the 3rd pen of the game.

Good crowd as well and the Mons brought a good 50 fans in section A plus more in other parts of the ground,Magicme was seen to instigate a lot of the singing as well having obviously recovered from her Aviva experience

We have Cork next week which is a must win game but fter the away games to Waterford and Limerick we have our easiest set of fixtures to hopefully seal D1.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Even if Limerick and Waterford where to beat Derry i do still fancy Derry to win it. Limerick, Waterford and Mons all still to play each other after those games so i can see Derry hanging in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    On a noisy bus home after a wonderful nite in derry. Thank u derry fans for proving y u r the best in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Great to see Monaghan doing well
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Waterford finished??

18 points from their first six games, 20 points from the next sixteen!!

Fairplay to Shels aswell, coming back from being battered with two good results in a week, they will be well up for Monaghan next week I'd say.

We got out of jail tonight against a tough but pretty mediocre Athlone team. Showed the importance of having a quality striker at this level. Stephen O'Flynn barely got a kick all night and still finished up with two goals.

As far as I'm concerned next week is a chance for Limerick to pick up more ground. We have Mervue away while Derry play the furry co op and Mons go to Tolka. Derry still to win the league handy enough but twill be tight behind them.

Twas a good experience to be at a Limerick game at this stage of the season getting text updates and actually giving a ****e how other teams are doing!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Philly saves the day again!
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    I think it is very possible Monaghan will beat Derry this weekend, especially with Molloy and Harkin rumoured to be out injured from their friendly last night. That will have cut Derry's lead by 5 points (that's a big IF Mons win btw) over the space of 2 weeks, Im sure alarm bells will start then in the muckers camp.
    They also have Cork, Limerick and Waterford to follow so I think Kenny will see Monaghan as a huge game for them, win that and I can't see them getting caught, lose and the nerves will set in.
    thank you for believing in us Sam!

First pen was a definite sending off, and I can't for the life of me understand why the last pen was given, but that being said it was our defensive weakness and a classic counter-attacking away performance from Monaghan which sealed the result. BTW if Monaghan's number 10 shed a few pounds he would be faster than the greyhounds that grace the Stadium on other nights!
    there's only one Philly Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Philly saves the day again!
    One Philly Hughes!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    just back from derry
    a pleasure to spend time with people i dont know
    we few, we choosen few
    we band of brothers
    and when they ask where were you on this st crispens day we say
    we were in the branywell beating derry city....
    murfinator if you wish to understand LOI football go to derry and learn from real football people
    alas i fear its beyond you
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast