Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: First Division 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Breen View Post
    Great team you have there.... Getting spanked by Wexford youths......
    Well if we only started with nine players and no goalkeeper no wonder we got beat.

Scully OUT!!!!!!

Should have started with eleven and cruised to a comfortable win..... much like when we played Shels, a Shelbourne team who despite us playing Wexford with nine men and no goalkeeper, are still below us in the table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery Rover View Post
    Some very good players there but I wouldn't agree with Dave Rodgers being as good as if not better than what Shels have. He looked well past his best when we played Cork.
    He absolutely ran the show when we played Cork in fairness to the guy and has looked good since he joined, missing tonight mind (not that that excuses some of the clowning that went on)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    So, as we near the end of the second series of games it really is Derry's title to throw away with a 10 point lead. In fact, McBride's bookies in Derry have announced that they are paying out on Derry winning the title at 6/1.

Derry's next 7 games are going to shape things up for the division and if they come through that unbeaten then I don't see them being caught.

They have:

Shels (a)
    Salthill (h)
    Harps (a)
    Mons (h)
    Cork (h)
    Limerick (a)
    Waterford (a)

The final 4 games in that are all going to be very tough games and sh!te and all as we are we hope to throw a spanner in the works in 3 weeks time (although it is unlikely).

In those 7 game I can see Limerick and Waterford pretty sure to win 5 of those 7 each and Derry probably will win 3.
    The run in is going to be interesting, I would say Limerick are the most likely challengers for the league with Waterford (and Monaghan) falling away.
    So we need to win two more gmes from our next six.

We have Salthill then Harps for our next two games so that should be the two games you're talking about as even our reserve team beat your 1st team 2-0.

But my predictions from the start of the league was we would have it wrapped up before Sept ends and I'm not changing my mind.

Mons should finish 2nd.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    Mons should finish 2nd.
    Which invites the question which hasn't been asked yet - will the First Division side win the play-off? I think they'd be marginal favourites, regardless of who it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Which invites the question which hasn't been asked yet - will the First Division side win the play-off? I think they'd be marginal favourites, regardless of who it is.
    Given how we struggled with Bray over two games would suggest a gap still exists between the bottom of the Prem and First. So I'd disagree with "marginal favourites" suggestion. Tight? Yes. But certainly not favourites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Breen View Post
    Great team you have there.... Getting spanked by Wexford youths......
    Yep not like the 2 times ye have hammered them this year.........oh wait

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    cant find a match report for the limerick game sounds like a humdinger
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby View Post
    cant find a match report for the limerick game sounds like a humdinger
    made for interesting viewing alright

not that big a surpise we beat Limerick and better side that some giving us credit for in this thread, we have beaten Waterford and Shelbourne this season from memory (so my be wrong) of all teams played twice this season to date only Derry and Monaghan have beaten us twice so i for one am very happy with our position at the moment
    Last edited by Youths4Ever; 17/07/2010 at 8:33 PM.
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    To be perfectly honest, this is one of the worst first divisions I have seen in a while. The standard of football is muck to say the least and I can't see the play-off being won by a first division side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Drogheda have improved recently and Galway aren't a bad side. I'd imagine either would be in with a good chance if the first division has gone backwards from last year.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I am glad darkglasses you acknowledge the fact that ye lost points from that game but tell the fai adminstrators and the press that fact as according to them ye never had 3 points deducted!
    No lets just keep that to ourselves hey?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Drogheda have improved recently and Galway aren't a bad side. I'd imagine either would be in with a good chance if the first division has gone backwards from last year.
    Galway losing both their forwards will hurt them. Drogheda had a new manager boost and seem to have slipped back a bit since then (they lost to Dundalk, which no-one is doing lately). Granted, they should be getting another new manager boost soon. I suppose though I´m biased by our own experiences in the First Division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants View Post
    Given how we struggled with Bray over two games would suggest a gap still exists between the bottom of the Prem and First. So I'd disagree with "marginal favourites" suggestion. Tight? Yes. But certainly not favourites.
    Disagree with that DP. Even the most rabid Bray fan would agree that we absolutely gifted them two of the three goals down there.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkglasses View Post
    No lets just keep that to ourselves hey?
    after all it has being a good arrangement over the last few months hey!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants View Post
    I think amid all the World Cup games, i completely forgot about your Cup replay with Bray. Who won that?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    To be perfectly honest, this is one of the worst first divisions I have seen in a while. The standard of football is muck to say the least and I can't see the play-off being won by a first division side.
    I agree with this assessment. From what I've seen of the division this year its definitely weaker than previous seasons, though I can say the same about the Premier this season too.

I saw Derry v Shels the other night and Derry as champions elect were awful for a team that has only lost 1 game in 19. I don't think the weaker first division teams this season have put it up to them, they're not patch on that excellent UCD team that won the league last year. Shels have gone backwards, though I think Matthews will improve them for next season. Waterford have been a massive disappointment this season after such a strong start, they should be challenging for the title not in a dogfight for top 3. Cork are underperforming with one of the strongest squads on paper. Monaghan and Limerick are in their respective positions legitimately, both Mick Cooke and Pat Scully have been quietly building solid teams over the past couple seasons on small budgets but either of them are going to have a tough time trying to beat one of the Premier Division teams in a play-off should they get there, they are still way behind what Drogheda and Galway have.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Right what do people think now??

You can probably right that crap Shels side out of it now after their utter HUMILIATION last night so you're looking at two playoff spaces between ourselves, Monaghan and Waterford.

Personally, I fancy ourselves and Monaghan. I can't remember the last time I got a good report out of Waterford and the signing of Dyl seems to be going down about half as well as the signing of George O'Callaghan did.

Wouldn't have a clue who'll come second and who'll come third between ourselves and Mons though!!!

Crucial few weeks for Limerick coming up. We have Athlone at home and Mervue away, while Shels will be desperate to restore even a tiny shred of dignity against Waterford and then Mons, while Mons are in the Brandywell next week.

Tis getting INTERESTING peeps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    they are still way behind what Drogheda and Galway have.
    Debatable to be honest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Barrett looks to be a great signing for us. We're currently 6th, I don't think we can catch Monaghan Waterford and Limerick though if we could turn our home form around we might be able to catch one of them and make a push towards the playoffs but I'd settle for 5th and finishing ahead of Shels for the first season of fan ownership and kick on from there

Limerick will probably improve with all their new signings and having seen Monaghan twice they are a very good physically strong side that will fear no one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Barrett looks to be a great signing for us. We're currently 6th, I don't think we can catch Monaghan Waterford and Limerick though if we could turn our home form around we might be able to catch one of them and make a push towards the playoffs but I'd settle for 5th and finishing ahead of Shels for the first season of fan ownership and kick on from there

Limerick will probably improve with all their new signings and having seen Monaghan twice they are a very good physically strong side that will fear no one.
    Add to that the fact that Whelo is back and we are a very contented bunch up here at the mo. Now to beat Derry, Shelbourne and Dundalk in the next 2 weeks to make things even more perfect......

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast