Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Football Association of Ireland responds to Ian Foster’s inaccurate comments

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Foster was an eejit for going off on one after an embarassing performance in Tallaght. But why did the FAI have to make such a big deal of it- surely aquiet word of warning would be better than a press release making Foster look very stupid and making the FAI look petty. It's not quite as bad as their excruciatingly embarassing rebuttal of Daniel McDonnell's Limerick/Barca piece, but I don't see it doing the FAI's image any good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Foster was an eejit for going off on one after an embarassing performance in Tallaght. But why did the FAI have to make such a big deal of it- surely aquiet word of warning would be better than a press release making Foster look very stupid and making the FAI look petty. It's not quite as bad as their excruciatingly embarassing rebuttal of Daniel McDonnell's Limerick/Barca piece, but I don't see it doing the FAI's image any good.
    I'd say the fai's reaction was a lot to do with him being reprimanded already this season as your ceo said in his statement, he'd been told to wise up to what he says to the media after games because it will cost the club money. Being interviewed straight after a diabolical performance when yous were lucky not to lose by a lot more, must have been awkward for foster, so he has to blame something.
    And stating the 'blazers' only come along for a jolly up was a stupid and wrong thing to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

Dundalk CEO Gerry Matthews was also quite vocal in his condemnation of Foster's comments.

Speaking to The Dundalk Democrat, he said: "I am furious with Ian and the comments he has made. The club are facing a hefty fine because of it and it brings Dundalk Football Club into disrepute. It's certainly not productive and it's an open invitation for the FAI to take action.

"This is the second time he has made comments this season regarding the FAI. Steps were taken the last time to ensure he wouldn't come out with anything like this again so the club board is very disappointed with what he has said."

Matthews went on to say that the FAI and, in particular, John Delaney, had been very supportive of Dundalk both this season and in the past. The CEO also dismissed Foster's claims that their registration process was in the "dark ages".

"John Delaney and the FAI have gone out of their way to help us and they pulled out the stops to ensure we got everything in order to participate in Europe. They worked extremely hard with us in that regard and were very accommodating.

"Michael Hayes is one of the FAI officials who travelled to Bulgaria with the team. He was heavily involved in getting the Michael McGowan transfer pushed through but Ian has come out and criticised the FAI's methods for registering players. There is procedure to be followed, he should know that.

"The board will sit down and have a serious chat with Ian when he comes back. I don't think it would be right speaking to him about this two days before a big European game. He will be asked to retract his comments. The club distance themselves from what he has said and we certainly don't condone it in any way

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundal...ith.6417423.jp
    You cant publicly slate your manager like that if you have any hope of him continuing in the job (sucessfully) afterwards. I think Foster has a point about the registered post though, why can these documents not be faxed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topia View Post
    You cant publicly slate your manager like that if you have any hope of him continuing in the job (sucessfully) afterwards. I think Foster has a point about the registered post though, why can these documents not be faxed?
    You really can't remember why they can't be faxed?!

On the fixture list issue, Dundalk have only know about it for about 6 months........Foster would want to buy himself a calendar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Agree 100%. The first reaction on most forums to the FAI reaction was "What did Foster do?" It was a complete non-story and Foster's moaning (as tiresome as it has become) is no worse than the mahjority of managers have said at one time or another. If the FAI have received communications from the club that a) they're thankful for the support and b) they're dealing with Foster, they shold've said nothing and let the story pass (as it already done).

Now they've created even more bad press, and possibly even cost Foster hsi job.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    while I totally agree that Foster is gaining a reputation as a whinger the FAI have become a total delaney dictatorship where nothing can be said against them and when something is said he sends in his favorite henchman Fran Gavin in bully the clubs and make sure the FAI get vindicated its a joke,imo Dundalk and rovers should never have had to play that game four days before European action.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    His comments seem to be empty whining. I have no problem with the FAI issuing a press release calling him on bull****. Particularly after the Declan O’Brien mess Drogheda got themselves into in Europe a few years back, I'm quite happy to see the FAI actually have someone on hand who knows what the hell they're doing. And as Mr A says, you qualify for lots of competitions, you have lots of games. Tough ****.
    what do you mean by that john83 about the Declan O'Brien situation?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    I think Foster was dead right in his views on the congestion of fixtures. 10 games in a month thats way to much and they did look tired VS Rovers but no excuse so maybe he should have saved that rant for another day (:
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Drogheda forgot to register O'Brien for a European game. My memory of it is - he'd been injured and they didn't think he'd be fit. He was.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D.24saint View Post
    while I totally agree that Foster is gaining a reputation as a whinger the FAI have become a total delaney dictatorship where nothing can be said against them and when something is said he sends in his favorite henchman Fran Gavin in bully the clubs and make sure the FAI get vindicated its a joke,imo Dundalk and rovers should never have had to play that game four days before European action.
    I know absolutely nothing about the rights and wrongs of the Foster case etc, but I must admit when I browsed this thread, I was struck by the title of the body the FAI chooses to deal with such matters:
    "The Disciplinary Control Unit".
    Who's in charge of that lot, then? Jack Bauer's Harder Brother?
    Other Associations have "Boards" or "Committees" etc, the FAI has a "Control Unit" - sounds like the name given by some Eastern European Government, before the fall of the Wall, to their Internal Security Department...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    typical winging manager looking for reasons he was embarrased, while i am fond of the occasional fai bashing his comments were way of the mark. as for the fai response i think they are sending a message out to all managers to keep it stum
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    If the FAI are so much in the "dark ages" how come they were one of the first FA's to embrace the new UEFA TMS system for International Transfers which speeds up the whole process and is done online. I think Ireland was the first Country to bring it in as our season is different and we were trained on it in October in preparation for the new season in March. Could be others got into the process at the same time but I know when we transfered a player to wolves in January the whole thing was quicker coz of the new system. The ITC was with Wovles quickly.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    The European participants always have a game on the Sunday after they get back as far as I can remember I know we did after our European.. er..adventures..
    Same here. When we got hockeyed in Finland we played Sligo on the Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I can't believe how badly ALL sides have handled this situation. Fosters' position as manager is surely very shaky now.

On an aside, I think I read somewhere that the Scotch were the first to implement the new transfer system but whatever, it doesn't matter because everyone is doing it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Drogheda forgot to register O'Brien for a European game. My memory of it is - he'd been injured and they didn't think he'd be fit. He was.
    Nearly right, I think. My recollection was that he was injured for one round, and they left him off the panel thinking they could add him after that round, but it wasn't the case, and he wasn't allowed play in the next round.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I think it was actually between legs within the one tie (ie he was injured for away leg but was fit and un registered for the second leg)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I think it was actually between legs within the one tie (ie he was injured for away leg but was fit and un registered for the second leg)
    Sounds nasty - and here was me thinking it was a hand injury, or maybe that's what led to the.....

22. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12