Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grrr RTÉ!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

Grrr RTÉ!

I know this is a tired topic, but on the night that an Irish side are playing in Europe's top club competition, the story is relegated to 6th place in the "soccer" section. Behind "Argentinian player at English club wouldn't mind rejoining Spanish manager now at Italian club"

I know there's supply and demand for stories, but I'm annoyed at the Irish people for lapping up this rubbish, and at RTÉ for pandering to them.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I always thought RTE was for 'the national interest'.......cynics put a spin of the meaning of this term, however.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I'll stick my post up in here as it relates more to this thread

Right - this has really got my goat.

BBC Radio Shropshire are doing occasional updates from the game tonight in Dublin (which happens to be the only coverage of the game tonight apart from Extatime) - and are using RTÉs John Kenny for the commentary.

HOW ****ING HARD IS IT FOR RTÉ TO STICK THE FEED OF JOHN KENNY DOING THE COMMENTARY ON RADIO 1 EXTRA?

RTÉ said the main reason for pulling Friday Sportsnight was the cost of sending commentators to all the games - we've got one in Dalymount tonight doing work for a foreign radio station - which will not be heard by many in Ireland - and no doubt will be rightfully getting paid for a full night's work doing the job.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    I'll stick my post up in here as it relates more to this thread
    surely john kenny is doing reports for rte radio as well?
    If you've nothing good to say, say it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I just heard Michael rugby head Corcoran on the 8oclock sports news on 2fm call Mervue United Mervues United!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayjames View Post
    surely john kenny is doing reports for rte radio as well?
    Yeh he is,for the sports news bulletins on the hour on 2fm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Reminds me of waking up the morning after Derry humped Gretna (SuperGretna, best foot.ie poster ever) buying all the Scottish papers and Scottish editions with the game getting the back page and multiple pages inside.

Got back to Ireland to the delights of a few paragraphs underneath the Leinster cricket section.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Reminds me of waking up the morning after Derry humped Gretna (SuperGretna, best foot.ie poster ever) buying all the Scottish papers and Scottish editions with the game getting the back page and multiple pages inside.
    I still have a paper from Sweden after our ame in Elfsborg. Some great photos of the game and Pats fans.

RTE get pretty much all their sports news from the wires so until someone puts the Irish reports up, they won't appear. Lazy
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    these guys in the sports dept dont have a clue. i remember seeing when paddy power took on people for his business they had to have a huge knowledge of most sports. just an example but i doubt a lot of these know damn all about most sports. continual errors and let downs. pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I notice that Sunderland playing a friendly over here takes a higher billing in their website than Bohs' game last night

14. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    I notice that Sunderland playing a friendly over here takes a higher billing in their website than Bohs' game last night
    stuff like this just isn't right, if our national broadcaster prioritises the domestic champions' CL tie like this then that is a sad state of affairs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DazH View Post
    stuff like this just isn't right, if our national broadcaster prioritises the domestic champions' CL tie like this then that is a sad state of affairs
    it sure is, but year after year its the same.they are pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I know this is a tired topic, but on the night that an Irish side are playing in Europe's top club competition, the story is relegated to 6th place in the "soccer" section. Behind "Argentinian player at English club wouldn't mind rejoining Spanish manager now at Italian club"

I know there's supply and demand for stories, but I'm annoyed at the Irish people for lapping up this rubbish, and at RTÉ for pandering to them.
    You are making a great point and no one would argue against it but it wont do anything to resolve it on here. The only real way is send something (with no abuse) to complaints@rte.ie and make your case. All emails have to be addressed and if enough people complain then they will have to discuss it in a complaints meeting (i think its weekly). There is a mechanism in place to effect change and if enough of us use it then it will change.

And seriously, what a valid point. ALL DOMESTIC football topics should be reported first. I think its common sense for a national broadcaster, we just need to highlight it.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Good point A Face. I've sent in an email, also making the point that MNS is great, and surely drumming up enthusiasm for the league in their sports coverage would increase the viewing figures for the programme, and therefore be in their interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/

And today, more transfer rumours from a league that isn't even in session at the moment, the day after three Irish sides have been in action in Europe. You have to scroll down to the small print to see them. I mean, "Barry Ferguson extends Birmingham contract" taking precedence over any one of the three Europa League Games is a disgrace.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    sure last night on the radio bulletins the golf was the lead section. now the golf is fine but the days action was over and the 3 european games were in action and it was FCKING 2ND!!!!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    sure last night on the radio bulletins the golf was the lead section. now the golf is fine but the days action was over and the 3 european games were in action and it was FCKING 2ND!!!!
    I'd actually have to disagree here. I know nothing about golf but I'm led to believe McIlroy had an amazing round yesterday, and Irish golfers have to be on a par with Irish Football Clubs when it comes to the media, surely? Whether they days action is over or not doesn't take away from the fact that it's a big story, and fact that the League of Ireland was on second is good

(Obviously, different situation to the League of Ireland being second to English Premier League action.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    I'd actually have to disagree here. I know nothing about golf but I'm led to believe McIlroy had an amazing round yesterday, and Irish golfers have to be on a par with Irish Football Clubs when it comes to the media, surely? Whether they days action is over or not doesn't take away from the fact that it's a big story, and fact that the League of Ireland was on second is good

(Obviously, different situation to the League of Ireland being second to English Premier League action.)
    hey i like golf and follow it but the games last night were in play, the golf was finished for the day(may have been a few late out on the course but thats neither here nor there)! mcilroy had an amazing but our football clubs should be top billing on the night there in action at that very minute in european action!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Its ok lads, there is a team that everyone has heard of possible coming to Ireland, the league takes top billing now
    220-01.gif
    (Shame on Bohs for only getting a possible tie against a team from Belguim, must try harder)
    Here on a technicality.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    RTE are quite, read very, lazy on their AERTEL and website. I don't know the number of times I've had to correct their efforts when sending in reports or news. To be fair though they do react very promptly so writing to them does help for sure.

A good friend of mine, yet he's a Rovers fan, quite rightly stated that the Irish are more British than the British themselves. For some reason our eyes are only on what happens across the water - as was evidenced by the feeble efforts by our pundits for the World Cup.

Met with a TV3 cameraman yesterday (crew are doing an Ireland AM special) and we were talking about sports and TV3's retreat from the same. He pointed out that at every LOI game he was told "the media don't give us the credit, we don't get any tv coverage" - yet how many viewers does MNS pull in weekly on a decent timeslot on a major free to air channel? Football is a major sport in the country but LOI is a seriously minority effort.

Now go with me on this - if the LOI gets minority status, we get an endangered species cert from the UN. Which means we have to be protected, which means preservation orders on Flansiro, the Stadium of Light etc. Hey presto they become virtual museums and thus unable to be bought and sold unscrupulous "impressarios". Moving on from this we apply for UNESCO status for the LOI as a whole (the FAI can ring fence their HQ as a kind of corrupt, doublespeaking Jurassic Park where the dinosaurs wear blazers and resell tickets to dodgy dudes in anoraks). So then the UN and UNESCO pump in money for the upkeep of our grou...museums and we've solved half the battle. Limerick end up in an 8,000 all seater, Bohs bring Dalymount down to a 6,000 all stander, Finn Harps have 2,000 seats and 500 sheep pens for half time refreshment and post match entertainment, while Shamrock Rovers can have a 6,000 seater built for free - oh wait.

Anyway, the LOI suddenly blossoms as the theatre of dreams in England no longer holds any attraction for those who prefer to sit in Pats Mausoleum of Magnificence, or in Mon's Museum of Magic, and even visitors to Lusk will enjoy the awe inspiring silence of the McNamara Memorial Palace of Art and Culture. With the need to paint toilet seats a funny shade of brown and having that strange old lady with the queer eye sell buns and fanta by the entrance removed because of grant aid, clubs can finally focus on what's important - paying large sums to players who gladly take the money on offer without questioning how the club can afford to pay such princely amounts with 63 paying customers a fortnight. All will be well in LOI-land and we will once again rule the continent as our forefathers did!
    Last edited by Spudulika; 16/07/2010 at 4:36 PM. Reason: numbers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast